Laptop repair pricing?

nitro498

Sep 2, 2003
From time to time, people ask me to repair or build their computers. I started doing this as a favor but now I charge a fee for services.

A lady approached me about adding RAM to her desktop. She also mentioned that she had a Toshiba M35X-S161 laptop that would not power up. I asked if she would be interested in selling the laptop. Her reply was that all she wanted was her pics and word documents off the drive. I told her that I would evaluate the laptop and make her an offer.

The desktop PC was built 5 years ago by a friend of hers. A celeron processor, microATX mobo, and 128 megs of ram. I added a 512 stick of ram and cleaned up the hard drive.

I disassembled the laptop, reattached the DC power jack to the motherboard, and reassembled the laptop. This took me about 3 hours.

Total work time for both computers was about 4 hours.
1 stick of ram (about $20)

QUESTION:
What should I offer her for the laptop?
Toshiba M35X-S161 Specs:
1.3 celeronM
15.4 screen
512 ram
60 gig drive
battery life: fair

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
$200 is good. Especially since you fixed it, which probably wouldn't be cheap if she took it anywhere else.

nitro498

Sep 2, 2003
I was thinking of $100 since I bought and installed the ram in her desktop and spent about an hour cleaning all the junk from her hard drive on it.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Well yeah. Tell her she can either pay you $100 for fixing everything plus time, or you can pay her $100 to take it off her hands.