Laptop Repair: Power plug breaks off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Spydermag68, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Spydermag68

Spydermag68 Platinum Member

My wife has a laptop and for the second time the place where power cord plugs into the laptop has broken off inside. The first time it was under warranty and we shipped it back to the manufacturer.

Is this something a "laptop repair" place can fix?

Have you any experiences with this type of place?

Thanks,
    Spydermag68

2. Blain

Blain Lifer

3. dave_the_nerd

It depends on the builder - I've found a few now where, rather that being soldered onto the motherboard, the AC plug is actually on a little cable lead.

Like this one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300634052238?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

To replace the plug, you still have to tear the laptop completely apart (In the case of the Toshiba L645, it took me about an hour from start to finish, but I work slowly) but for the customer, an hour of labor and a $7 wire is cheaper than an hour of labor and a new motherboard. (!)

However, most laptop repair places will, like Blain, assume it's attached to the motherboard and quote you accordingly. (And rightfully so - it's true in the majority of cases.) You should probably find the tech manual for your particular laptop and verify whether it is, in fact, a cable or not. Then you can negotiate from an informed position.

#3 dave_the_nerd, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

All good suggestikons - and one more . . . train your wife to not yank on the cord to pull it out. :) If you grasp the connector and pull straight out it should never break. (Unless someone trips over the wire!)

5. Spydermag68

Spydermag68 Platinum Member

@Blain - Thanks for the list of videos on Google. I found one that matched very closely to my wife's Toshiba.

@dave the nerd - Thanks for the link to the cables on ebay...Most of the venders are in China or Korea and I could not find an exact match to L355-S7831 unit I have.

@corkyg - It was not my wife but my 2 year old that yanked on the cord an busted the computer.

6. dave_the_nerd

7. Zap

Zap Elite Member