Laptop/Printer WiFi Problem

vark

Jan 14, 2017
Joy, two of my least favourite things come together: a laptop and wireless networking...

Trying to get a Canon TS3120 (3100 Series) to wirelessly print from an Acer E5-571-39X3. It works fine when corded (standard USB connection) but Win10-Home-64 will not connect via WiFi. The laptop is wirelessly connected to an Internet router which works fine. I almost, almost had it when the printer finally appeared in the Wireless Network Available Connections list/menu, but when I selected it and checked "Connect Automatically", it almost immediately rejected the connection because there was "No Internet", then the Canon printer selection disappeared from the list. The old HP printer, everything else of which having been uninstalled and expunged, continues to populate the WiFi Connection list and refuses to go away (using a "WSD" Port - ?).

I've attempted to set up a separate Port, as the Canon exists on "USB001 - Virtual Printer Port for USB" but so far failed. I have the IP and DNS for the Internet router. Haven't yet pinged the printer. Presume Win10 still has Ping somewhere in it's bowels. Online help and suggestions from Canon haven't helped. One Google result indicated that AP Isolation should be switched "On", but I haven't been able to locate the switch; it is the Home edition, after all.

Erm, suggestions would be heartily and gratefully welcomed.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Did you connect your printer to your router via wifi?
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART168194

Alternate method: you might be able to just find your 2.4Ghz network on the printer, connect to it, and input the security key (if that applies). This should allow most functions, but you still might want to install all of the printer software, otherwise you might miss out on some customization and features.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeymikec

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok, well you'll need to set it up on the WiFi. It sounds like you want the printer accessible, but not directly connecting to the printer. These are different things.

1. Plug in printer network cable, and find it's IP either on the router DHCP list, from the printer operator panel, or print out a config sheet.
2. Use the IP of the printer to connect to it's GUI from your browser
3. Config WiFi to match your home network, save the settings
4. Turn off printer, unplug it, disconnect network cable, plug printer back in, turn it on.
5. Confirm IP of printer and connectivity to it using ping (just type CMD to open the command prompt in Windows 10). It should show up in the router under wifi client list as well

I use two network printers, one samsung and one cannon. Both of them share the MAC between wired and wireless, which means one static DHCP reservation covers both Wifi and hardwire for the same printer, which means once you have a network printer port configured that works, your computer doesn't care if the printer is hardware or WiFi, because the IP remains the same.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Agree with above. Basically, the printer should be installed as a network printer.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The old HP printer, everything else of which having been uninstalled and expunged, continues to populate the WiFi Connection list and refuses to go away (using a "WSD" Port - ?).
The old HP printer should not be showing up.
There's a MS Diagnostic "Troubleshoot problems with devices and printers" that may help :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970908/how-to-use-microsoft-easy-fix-solutions
Or: check with HP for a printer driver uninstaller.
HP printer drivers can often be difficult to get rid of when no longer needed.

Last edited:

vark

Jan 14, 2017
Ok, well you'll need to set it up on the WiFi. It sounds like you want the printer accessible, but not directly connecting to the printer. These are different things.

1. Plug in printer network cable, and find it's IP either on the router DHCP list, from the printer operator panel, or print out a config sheet.
2. Use the IP of the printer to connect to it's GUI from your browser
3. Config WiFi to match your home network, save the settings
4. Turn off printer, unplug it, disconnect network cable, plug printer back in, turn it on.
5. Confirm IP of printer and connectivity to it using ping (just type CMD to open the command prompt in Windows 10). It should show up in the router under wifi client list as well

I use two network printers, one samsung and one cannon. Both of them share the MAC between wired and wireless, which means one static DHCP reservation covers both Wifi and hardwire for the same printer, which means once you have a network printer port configured that works, your computer doesn't care if the printer is hardware or WiFi, because the IP remains the same.
Sorry it's been awhile, I'd been hoping that the issue would disappear, instead I fixed it today. Fairly straightforward, this time, except that the printer timed out and powered down just as the port was being selected and the connection confirmed... Canon has no "back" function if it fails the first time; instead, a list of remedial solutions, one of which was sort of forced to work and did. Laptop is once again untethered. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's about the only down-side of this slightly older Brother MFC Color inkjet that I have, that supports both wired ethernet, and wifi... it connects in the drivers *differently*, depending on whether I wire it into the network / router, versus wifi. (I guess different MACs? Or different "station IDs"?)

If I switch it (which I don't, once I learned), I have to go to each PC, and either use Brother's "Driver Installation Repair Tool", or more simply, un-install and then re-install the drivers.

Windows 10 has built-in drivers these days for this printer, so I don't know if I've ever switched between wired / wifi since switching to Win10. I assume that it might simply re-detect and re-install the printer, and then I would have two printer instances.