Laptop power up, fan spin, then stop. No post but power light still on.

BioSs

Oct 6, 2003
Get a Hp DV5-2314 serial laptop. run about 2-3yr. Yesterday, it stops to post. I pull, rams, HD, CPU, Wifi card and Motherboard out. I tested HD, rams, cpu and power adapter on another laptop, without a problem. Also connect the VGA port to a monitor without post. Whenever, i power up, the cpu fan spin for 3-5sec and stop, then, it spin again after 30sec. The Video is built in the motherboard, I can't further test it. Now, what else I can test on before I buy a new motherboard?? I guess, the Video chip or motherboad fuckup. Any suggestion will be appreciate it. Thanks in Adv.

I did remove the motherboard battery to clear Bios.

Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
You are left really to isolate the motherboard. Have you tried running power/MB/CPU/RAM/video outside of the case? I have run into laptops before that were dropped and pushing down enough would cause it to short and the laptop would shut off.

BioSs

Oct 6, 2003
Did you inspect the motherboard for blown caps?
Here is a good example of blown caps:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...sedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..0.10.477.UZEwaCAoaXY

I just inspected all the caps from top to buttom and left to right. None of the caps showed detect or broken as picture link that you posted. Thanks inachu

You are left really to isolate the motherboard. Have you tried running power/MB/CPU/RAM/video outside of the case? I have run into laptops before that were dropped and pushing down enough would cause it to short and the laptop would shut off.

As i posted on the main thread that I removed all device, from CPU, Cpu fan, Rams, HD, Wifi Card, Power supply and tham all tested on different laptop without any problem of them.. I guess maybe short something on board because I drop it couple time before this happened. How did you fix it on that problem??

Are any lights on the top flashing when you turn it on?

Not light flashing.. All light turn on as normal.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Just search Hp DV5 black screen, and you'll see that HP had a real problem with these laptops. Usually it was overheating that caused these laptops to fail. Some have revived them by doing a reflow of the video chip.. My son has done a few, but they usually end up failing again. Best bet is a used motherboard..