Laptop keyboards

chronodekar

Nov 2, 2008
I've NEVER come across a laptop keyboard that gives me the same satisfaction of a regular desktop keyboard. I always feel that they are soo delicate and might break easily.

I like the 'click' of the regular one. It just feels right to me. (As a gamer and programmer)

Does this 'clickly' laptop keyboard exist? If so, on what laptops. I've tried out ThinkPads (pre-2003) Vostro's (pre-2005) and Viao's (pre-2002) but haven't found it yet.

Anyone else out here feel the same as me?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I actually like the average laptop keyboard better than the average desktop keyboard. The keystrokes are usually crispier and shorter with the laptop.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Most laptop keyboards blow, particularly on the cheaper notebooks and the large OEMs. However, I had a VoodooPC Envy model a few years ago. Absolutely fantastic keyboard. Great tactic response, sturdy, felt great to type on. Laptop was obscenely expensive though.

My current Sager 5720 is nice, but the keys feel a little softer and cheaper that the Voodoo.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have a Gateway P-6831FX and the keyboard is closer to a normal keyboard than any other laptop I've used.
(Also a gamer and a programmer)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: chronodekar
I've NEVER come across a laptop keyboard that gives me the same satisfaction of a regular desktop keyboard. I always feel that they are soo delicate and might break easily.

I like the 'click' of the regular one. It just feels right to me. (As a gamer and programmer)

Does this 'clickly' laptop keyboard exist? If so, on what laptops. I've tried out ThinkPads (pre-2003) Vostro's (pre-2005) and Viao's (pre-2002) but haven't found it yet.

Anyone else out here feel the same as me?

My 2005 thinkpad has a clicky keyboard.
And my friend's brand new latitude is somewhat clicky.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I dont like laptop keyboards that much until.... I tried the new mac keyboard. it is da bomb.

oh yeah btw wrong forum

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Get a Thinkpad. They make the keyboards feel almost like desktop ones.

chronodekar

Nov 2, 2008
Originally posted by: Fox5
My 2005 thinkpad ..... my friend's brand new latitude is somewhat clicky.

Can you tell me the model numbers ?

And MustangSVT, but don't PC gamers also have issues with laptop keypads? I say this as a gamer. ( UT2003 on a VIAO is not really as enjoyable as on a desktop )

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I hate laptop keyboards. I can never get proper feel on them and it is genuinely weird to go from an ergonomic, curved configuration to a laptop keyboard where everything is packed together.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Don't confuse "clicky" with authentic buckling spring boards. It's night and day.

If you want a good laptop keyboard, get the best thinkpad you can afford. Or, get whatever laptop you want and buy a mighty mouse from unicomp or just get a spacesaver and carry it around with you.

I'm a Model M/Unicomp Customizer user and I'd rather write with a desktop on a M than touch a laptop keyboard any day. I'll do it when I'm forced to and have no other options.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I have a Gateway P-6831FX and the keyboard is closer to a normal keyboard than any other laptop I've used.
(Also a gamer and a programmer)

Same here. Works pretty well for me.

chronodekar

Nov 2, 2008
Originally posted by: nerp
Don't confuse "clicky" with authentic buckling spring boards. It's night and day.

If you want a good laptop keyboard, get the best thinkpad you can afford. Or, get whatever laptop you want and buy a mighty mouse from unicomp or just get a spacesaver and carry it around with you.

I'm a Model M/Unicomp Customizer user and I'd rather write with a desktop on a M than touch a laptop keyboard any day. I'll do it when I'm forced to and have no other options.

Yeah, I think that's the real point I want to get across. I like buckling spring type keyboards.

This thread is the first time I've heard of "Unicomp". What makes them so special about keyboards? Ignoring the fact that they are remodelling their site at the moment, their prices are astronomical! ($90+) I think I might be better off buying a standard USB-keyboard. Seems like a far cheaper option at the moment.

So, guys, what's so special about them?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Dell has some ok keyboards, the Sager NP5796 I'm using now has a really good crisp feel to the keys but I find it hard to keep my hands in sync when typing (not looking at keyboard), I had to go so far as edit my registry to disable the windows key.

In the end it's not the feel that puts me off, it's the compact and "flatness" of the keyboard that I find makes it hard to use compared to standard keyboards.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
OP, if you have a nearby Best Buy, you should check out the keyboard on one of the Gateway FX series laptops. I know it's a Gateway, and I couldn't believe I bought one, but it's really been a solid machine for the past year.