Laptop keyboard keys stop working after 3 minutes

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I have an old Dell xps l702x laptop that just the other day two rows of keys stopped working. The rows are 4RFV and 5TGB. I opened the laptop and cleaned it up a bit and reseated the keyboard ribbon cable and checked the pins on the connector, it all looked good. Now I notice that the keys will work for 3 minutes after the laptop is shut off and put back on, but then stop working. Is this related to heating issues, or is the keyboard getting flaky and needs replacing? Specs of the laptop are in my sig.

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
Today, the keys worked for about 20 minutes after booting, then stopped. Put the laptop to sleep for about an hour, and I tried typing again. The keys started working, but then I was getting repeated letters from the problematic keys (like on the butterfly switch MacBook Pros). I ordered a replacement keyboard for $15 (no backlight this time), but don't want to spend $30+ on keyboard for a 9 year old laptop that I got for free, 4 years ago.

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
If the computer continues to otherwise respond (even using the on-screen keyboard), I'd say the keyboard was just dying and it isn't a heat issue as much as being a crappy cheap Dell keyboard issue. Replacing it will hopefully resolve the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY