Laptop GPU/CPU overheating/fried?

remeca

May 13, 2016
I have a Dell XPS 1647 laptop, and it has been chugging away flawlessly for the last 6 years or so until today. I was using it when all of a sudden my screen started to glitch out, all kinds of crazy colors and stuff moving all over. It looked like when I used to OC my gpu and I'd hit too high of a clock speed. I turned off the laptop and left it for awhile, and when I turned it back on, everything seemed fine, for about 30 seconds then it started happening again. I took off the bottom of the laptop and turned it on, and discovered that the fan that cools the GPU/CPU wasn't spinning at all. I rigged up a new cooling system using an old laptop cooler (basically just 2 50mm fans blowing 2x their normal speed directly on the heat dissipaters/radiator) , and started up again. I monitored my temps using psensor , and this time it lasted about 2 minutes before it started again, even though the GPU was at 37C and the CPU was in the mid 20s. Anyway, I guess I want to know if you think it's permanently damaged, since the new cooling thing didn't work, is it worth it buying a new oem fan if it still isn't going to work, or is my DIY solution inadequate to properly cool the system? Thanks for any advice/opinions you can give.

Post screen:
PeqMiH7.jpg

Login:
2wDZXzO.jpg

Desktop:
xAZBg1p.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hate to say it, but if temps are showing good, but the artifacting is still happening, then you might have (permanently) fried the GPU.

remeca

May 13, 2016
I was worried about that, but the fact that it still works for a little bit on cold boot gives me hope.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Before you replace the system board, for a last-ditch effort, just make sure all the connectors to the panel are secure and not being bent/twisted/kinked.