Laptop for a digital picture frame..

doan

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2000
I'm looking at converting a laptop into a digital picure frame. I'd like to keep the project under $300. Anybody have any idea what older laptops had decent displays? I've tried it with an i-opener, but it only looks good if you look at it straight on adn even then its only "OK"..

Thanks,

David

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I don't have any ideas about what laptop you should use, but I recall seeing a "guide" somewhere about a guy showing how he made one using an older Apple laptop. It came out real nice. If I recall correctly, the laptop was either cheaper or only marginally more expensive then buying a digital picture frame.

doan

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2000
Spoon, I saw that one here and windows based one here. All the used PC shops around here have closed down so I can't go see what the screen of a particular model really looks like. I've had several for work, it seems like most of them that had at least 800x600 screens were pretty good. I have an i-opener with a 800x600 (SVGA) screen but its only marginal.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
You might have a hard time finding a decent notebook in your price range. I looked at computergeeks and they have some that are under $300, but they are all "grade B" condition. According to the site, that includes scratches on the LCD. Overstock.com has an IBM that's $450 and it sounds like it's in decent condition.

I think your best bet would be to look for archived reviews at sites like pcworld and what not that may still have older laptop reviews.