Question Laptop CPU in a Desktop? Ultra Low Power Desktop?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
aliexpress sells intel laptop cpu's soldered to a a adapter board i havnt looked into it a lot but you will need to modify your bios to get it to run in your desktop motherboard.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@wacki

When you say 'in your desktop', is this a computer you're thinking about getting/building? The reason I ask is that if you're still in the planning stages then you might want to consider an Intel NUC. I got one for a customer several months ago and they're basically about 8cm square and the height depends on whether you want room for an additional 2.5" SATA drive (alongside the logical choice to use being an M2 SSD).

Intel NUCs are typically powered by laptop-class CPUs and they also have the advantage (at least the one I looked at did) of being VESA mountable so you screw it to the back of your VESA-mounting-capable monitor.

The NUC I went for had an 8-series i5 laptop CPU in, so quad-core. You add the memory, storage and OS yourself.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
AMD AthlonXP Mobile 1800+ to 2500+ chips were socket A and would run in desktop boards.

That was nearly 20 years ago now though, and I'm not sure there's been too many similar products since then, if any.

As some of the other posters have stated in here, look at an Intel NUC, imho. It's likely all the power/performance you need, in a tiny package that sips juice (wattage).

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
You could get a laptop if it would be at all useful to you, connect a keyboard and mouse and a monitor to it when your at home and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You could also go with a J series CPU, those are soldered to the mobo so no upgrade but they are very low power and you get a case for expansion cards.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
AMD AthlonXP Mobile 1800+ to 2500+ chips were socket A and would run in desktop boards.

That was nearly 20 years ago now though, and I'm not sure there's been too many similar products since then, if any.

As some of the other posters have stated in here, look at an Intel NUC, imho. It's likely all the power/performance you need, in a tiny package that sips juice (wattage).

Yeah, I remember that. I was thinking of this very thing when I read your post.