Laptop color calibration

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
I recently took some engagement photos and received proofs. In some photos, the skin looked way too orange. I thought it was bad post processing by the photographer, but then saw the same photos on my fiance's MacBook and the color looked fine.

I own a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. I already know the screen is horrible, as it has image retention issues (not burn in) from the beginning. I've disabled f.lux and used the calibration tool in window 8. The color looks a bit better, but the skin tone is still way too orange. I can't seem to get a good combination of RGB adjustments to fix the color.

Are there other (preferably free) tools to adjust color? Or tips on reducing orange using RGB adjustments?

Oddly, this is not so pronounced in other photos.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
There are tools (can't remember the name) that you can attach to your screen to help you calibrate them, or you can just try manually setting the settings based off what images should look like. There are a few websites dedicated to that

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/?

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I like DisplayCAL for PC more than I like some of the commercial software (not for TVs though). Of course, like any color calibration, you actually have to have a colorimeter. Otherwise you aren't actually doing anything worthwhile and are probably just making your problems worse. They start at around $90 and go up to basically as much money as you're willing to spend. The cheap ones are good enough for just casual use. Software-wise, it can be expensive too, but for PCs, DisplayCAL is free, and is just fine. I don't think I'd want to use it for a TV though.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
maybe you took pictures of Trump's family and all that orange is true to life

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I am a massive fan of ThinkPads but the one area they are weak is the displays. They're great if you get a FHD IPS or 4K screen, but they are not known for color accuracy. As a result, they're really best for developers, writers, business folks, students and engineers, not photographers or video editors. My recommendation? Keep your ThinkPad and invest in a quality external display. ThinkPads love to be docked at a desk. Or just connect with a wire.