Laptop AC Adapter In-Line USB Chargers?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Ok, so my Mom got a new laptop and its AC adapter has a built in USB port for charging other things like cell phones and tablets.

I want something like this for my laptop. Only thing I've been able to find is an in-line charger that plugs in between the laptop's AC power brick and the wall:

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Protector-Charger-Figure-73310/dp/B008PEAR4W
41i6n8VukVL.jpg

I've seen the aftermarket AC adapters with USB chargers built in, but my laptop needs at least a 180W AC adapter and these AC adapters with USB chargers only go up to 95W (that I've found anyway).

My laptop is an Alienware 17 R2 w/ GTX980M.

Is that Lindy adapter on Amazon the only one on the market?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Just out of curiosity, did you have the 180W ps throttling problem, and did the new BIOS fix it?

Frank addressed the 180W PSU issue on Notebookreview's forum:

First, I want to thank you all for your passion for Alienware and for our products.
After collecting your feedback and doing our promised due diligence with our internal testing, we have come to the same conclusions that some of you have regarding the Alienware 17r2 BIOS being the culprit. During our investigation, we discovered that the main issue is due to a redundant setting in the BIOS code that has been inducing throttling when the system senses a potential overload in the 180w AC adapter. The 240w AC adapter, as some of you experienced, has enough headroom to overcome this redundant setting, which is why it appeared to have solved the issue.
This bug affected the proper functioning of the hybrid power technology feature we introduced in this generation of systems. For those who are unaware of hybrid power tech, when your system receives a spike for wattage requests that go above the AC adapter’s capacity, it will quickly pull power from the battery to pay off this request for the typical milliseconds in which they occur. This allows your system to fulfill “on the fly” power demands. It also does not affect your battery life.
So what is our solution?
Our teams in Miami and Austin are putting a new BIOS through testing as we speak and we should be able to release it by next week.
Through our internal testing, the performance between a 180w AC Adapter versus a 240w AC Adapter powered 17r2 system is the same with this corrected new BIOS. For those of you who feel a 240w AC Adapter meets your needs, we understand your stance. Please feel free to contact our support team and request a 240w AC Adapter to power your Alienware 17r2. They will fulfill your request at no cost to you.
The updated BIOS should be made available sometime next week on our support page. For those of you who can’t wait, we will be hosting a beta build of the BIOS on Alienware Arena. We will come back to this forum to answer your additional questions and concerns throughout the day and weekend. Again, thank you for making us aware of this issue and for your patience.
Beta Bios Link: http://na.alienwarearena.com/forums...r2-beta-bios-for-hybrid-power-technology/last
Please note that this BIOS does not currently work on the 15. We will be publishing an updated BIOS to solve the same bug for the new 15 soon on support.dell.com

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I doubt there are many third party 180+W (I've rarely seen more than 120W) AC adapters out there, and finding one with integrated USB ports would then be equally difficult, unfortunately.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Honestly, I don't know if I would trust a no name in-line adapter to do this. An out of spec adapter could fry your battery or worse.