Lapping opty 165

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
How dangerous is it to lap a cpu. Like is it easy to build up a static charge and shock the chip with your fingers when you're sanding?

George Powell

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
If you use an anti static sponge, you get them with OEM cpu's normally to cover the pins you should be ok to hold onto the cpu.

Be very careful about bending the pins though, they are very fragile and don't like much pressure being applied to them.

I do have to ask one question though, why do you need to lap the cpu heat spreader?

If you do go ahead let us know the temps before and after.

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: George Powell

I do have to ask one question though, why do you need to lap the cpu heat spreader?

Exactly why bother doing that???

If you really want to drop maybe 1 or 2 c then take off the cap completely.

kravmaga

Aug 10, 2005
You should lap the shim and also the top of the heatsink fins. ALso the memory chips could do with some sanding as well paint them up and be a fabulous designer guy.

shinzwei

Banned
Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Budman
Originally posted by: George Powell

Exactly why bother doing that???

If you really want to drop maybe 1 or 2 c then take off the cap completely.

Then you have a very high chance of chipping the core.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
I don't have my components all together yet, so I can't build yet, I'm in Florida and my barracks is in Japan, but I'm starting to lap the heatsink just because I want the absolute best temps i can get. I'm going to do the same to my XP-120, and I expect that having 2 copper mirror surfaces with a "microscopic" bit of AS5 between will produce the most efficient heat transfer. I have the blue plastic trays that the cpu came in, (OEM) so I can use that with the antistatic foam as a handle for sanding the cpu, but I was a little nervous that the sanding might build up a serious charge.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
is it hard to get the IHS off? couldn't the adhesive damage the core when you're prying?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Luckily AMD doesn't epoxy the IHS to the core (yet) unlike Intel. You can find with Google or at DFI-Street, XSF, PCPer, many stories and instructions on how to remove the IHS with a razorblade and floss to finish off to be safer. Only remove it if you have a heatsink that bolts through the board. The clip-ons can apply uneven pressure, even for an instant, and cause harm. Opterons seem to benefit more from IHS removal than other AMD chips. Temp drops from 5-10 degrees have been seen. Much lower than you would shave off from lapping the IHS (which would also void the warranty).

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
but I need a shim for that right? are they standard or do you have to hand make one to fit?

Andres3605

Nov 14, 2004
you are risking $300~ to get 2 or 3 degrees off, why don't you get watercooling with that amount and get a nice drecease in temps?.

kravmaga

Aug 10, 2005
The shim is the thing that covers the cpu in the first place also known as the IHS. To lap this would make no sense. A64 aren't the same as previous AMD chips because the core is covered by this shim. You could always remove the shim if you're willing to experiment but lapping the cores would be a bad idea. You not old kill your warranty from AMD but you're risking destroying the cores, crushing them with the heatsink, having a gap in the heatsink and frying the cores etc.

And what Andres said is true, you're only going to get like 2-3 degrees difference with the shim removed.

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
Huh? A shim is what you used to put on AXPs so you didnt crack the core, if I remember correctly. It's a mask-like piece of metal (could be non-metallic, though) that absorbs some of the pressure applied by the heatsink.

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
When he says shim he means the copper peices that people used on socket a to surround the core and better distribute pressure....always seemed like a bad idea to me.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Andres3605
you are risking $300~ to get 2 or 3 degrees off, why don't you get watercooling with that amount and get a nice drecease in temps?.

It may sound weird, but in the Marine Corps, I'm never living in one place for more than 6 months, so I'm trying to maximize performance without bulky radiators that are difficult to travel with. When I'm "settled" I'll probably go phase-change anyway.

Originally posted by: JMWarren
When he says shim he means the copper peices that people used on socket a to surround the core and better distribute pressure....always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Exactly, that's what I was referring to. I would be leary of trusting those four rubber dots, or rubber ring surrounding the core to support the pressure from a massive heatsink.