Language of Government

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Are you saying we are devolving into a third world nation of primitive animals devoted to defending differing kinds of hoots as those proper to true grunt discourse?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Are you saying we are devolving into a third world nation of primitive animals devoted to defending differing kinds of hoots as those proper to true grunt discourse?

I just make coffee.... now I've to go make another and clean up the mess.... Even a grunt is a language, No? I prefer no vocalization no brain wiring that uses language ... what is is...

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Right now we are taking no action. The action we need to take is to pass legislation making English the official language of government in the United States. That does not restrict the use of other languages, if necessary, but it sets a standard that English is, repeat, IS, the official and first language of America.

That's what we need to do.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Right now we are taking no action. The action we need to take is to pass legislation making English the official language of government in the United States. That does not restrict the use of other languages, if necessary, but it sets a standard that English is, repeat, IS, the official and first language of America.

Does not a rose by any other name smell just as sweet?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
nonsequitur

Surely you realize this bird flew long ago. English as an official language had to have been implemented before non English voting blocks, and in particular Hispanic, grew to a population size that wouldn't effect disadvantage one party or the other. Now this is right up there with immigration reform, a hot potato neither party will touch. English will stay the dominant language all on its own without any need for legislation.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

What problem would this exactly solve? I have no trouble getting service from the government in English because English is the de facto standard language of government. Legally declaring it to be the official language would not seem to be addressing any problems with the current system.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
KISMIF
Keep It Simple, Make It Fun.
This is why people want a standard language or a national language. Should we be like Canada? I think a study of how things work in Canada with their different languages might be a good idea. So what happens if the Chinese want their communities to practice government in their language? Then what happens if growing Muslim communities what to use some other language and maybe some korean merchants want the government for them to be in Korean? Pretty soon we just seem to run amuck!

I was at a hospital a while ago and they paid some interpreter to follow someone from slovakia or wherever and interpret for them. Why should the USA pander to everyone in every language they choose to speak? If you have munues in spanish, why not aramaic, itialian, german, Korean and other languages?

I dont really know if anyone acually speaks aramaic. But the muslims must speak some language or languages. I stopped at a gas station in florida and there were some people from afghanistan that worked there speaking in some kind of odd language I did not recognize. So I just asked them what language they were speaking and they told me. At least they could speak some english.

Last edited:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
KISMIF
Keep It Simple, Make It Fun.
This is why people want a standard language or a national language. Should we be like Canada? I think a study of how things work in Canada with their different languages might be a good idea. So what happens if the Chinese want their communities to practice government in their language? Then what happens if growing Muslim communities what to use some other language and maybe some korean merchants want the government for them to be in Korean? Pretty soon we just seem to run amuck!

I was at a hospital a while ago and they paid some interpreter to follow someone from slovakia or wherever and interpret for them. Why should the USA pander to everyone in every language they choose to speak? If you have munues in spanish, why not aramaic, itialian, german, Korean and other languages?

I dont really know if anyone acually speaks aramaic. But the muslims must speak some language or languages. I stopped at a gas station in florida and there were some people from afghanistan that worked there speaking in some kind of odd language I did not recognize. So I just asked them what language they were speaking and they told me. At least they could speak some english.

People with multiple native languages is a normal consequence of living in a multicultural society. They're not "choosing" to speak other languages to piss you off...that's the language they likely learned to speak growing up. And as long as knowing English is required for most societal advancement in this country (which it really is), there is sufficient incentive for people who aren't native speakers to learn it.

Even if you think everyone only speaking English would be "simpler", making English the official language won't magically make that happen. For one thing, an official language can't be an individual mandate...no legislation is going to require those gas station employees in Florida stop speaking their "Muslim language" (seriously?) or make a non-English speaker needing medical care understand his doctors without an interpreter. That's not "pandering", that's what happens when you live in a nation of immigrants. People who try will eventually learn English, and for those that don't, is it really a smart idea to try to totally cut them out of society?

And this is sort of getting off-point, but I LIKE living in a country where not everyone is exactly the same. In a couple of minutes I'm going to walk a few blocks down the street and get some delicious Afghani food from a local place. As long as the people working there can understand me well enough to take my order, what the hell do I care what language they're speaking to each other?

English doesn't need any help remaining the primary language in this country, and for those few who don't speak it that well (or don't speak it that well, yet)...I don't think going after them is very useful.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Heck... simply introduce Braille as the National Language... and require any and all political adds to be in braille whether in print or audio...

I'd love to see a Rove production on TV written in braille... And remove the braille from the drive up window of the banks.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

I sometimes wonder after reading various topics in this subforum; watching news reports and having verbal interactions with my fellow planet dwellers if it's more that, socially we haven't evolved; more than we're devolving. In the more intimate moments with my wife however; hooting and grunting are the true discourse.

As far as the OP; English is already the de facto language of government. In the case of some if not all multi-national companies with headquarters in the U.S., English is the official language. Just as example my brother works for a French company with divisions in GB and Brazil; during a recent conference call several members began speaking in Spanish and had to be reminded that English was the official language of the company.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

You small government conservative types are funny. You are all for making the government just small enough for it to fit in our brains to control how we think.

For those who don't know, there are concepts/ideas that simply do not translate into English. And vice versa.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
You small government conservative types are funny. You are all for making the government just small enough for it to fit in our brains to control how we think.

For those who don't know, there are concepts/ideas that simply do not translate into English. And vice versa.

Name one.