Landmark now on Steam Early Access

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Just spent roughly a hour with Landmark. Not completely sure why it has any ties to Everquest, as it's more like Minecraft. Still, it seems pretty and it "works" though I'm having a similar startup experience that I did with Minecraft... Basically not sure what I should go for first. So I deleted my initial land claim, grabbed enough materials for a nice pick axe, and just started gathering.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I don't really get it...This is related to Everquest Next? I thought EQN was going to be completely free to play, but this Landmark isn't?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Ok here it is..
Everquest Landmark is based in the world as Everquest next is going to be..but its just a building sim, like minecraft.
Everquest Next is the actual MMO that will come out.

What the two having in common is that certain items you MAKE in Landmark will be IN Next. If you build a awesome castle say, you can save template and copy it into EQnext. This is of course if players vote on it and like it enough. You walk into a claim it gives you a voting option for it.

Landmark is basically a way for people to judge items to appear in MMO portion, yet giving players lots of things to do and get a feel for the world.

The interesting thing about it is that EQLandmark items you can save and Sell them for real money in EQnext. Pretty cool concept. Make a chair that is awesome looking? Sell the template, every time someone buys it for 50 cents...cha ching. Details are not %100 on how this will work yet, but that is the general idea.

EQLandmark you can pretty much make anything you want in it, its very detailed oriented. Its like minecraft on steroids. They update it every week with new stuff. So of the stuff people have built is INSANE, someone made a replicated of Windsor Castle in it. lol Some people have even made Airships.

You don't have to do anything with Landmark if you just want to play EQNext, its just a tool players can use to make things that might appear in EQnext world when that game comes out. It is pretty fun, the engine is VERY detailed, i have a GTX 780Ti card, and certain areas will bring it down to the 40fps.

Last edited:

Danimal1209

Nov 9, 2011
Landmark is the engine that SOE uses to create content in EQ Next. They then packaged it to sell as Landmark.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Sort of, you can get invites to it randomly. I've had 7 to 14 day invites as long as you are signed up. You don't have to pay a dime for those. The ONLY difference with this is you get extra perks in the game if you pay.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Yep. I was in one beta of Landmark... and as my friend who bought and paid for Landmark described it, Landmark is basically like a really fancy MMO Minecraft.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Seems strange that Everquest Next is going to be a minecraft type game. Don't know why they would tie the EQ franchise to minecraft. They just don't go together.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Seems strange that Everquest Next is going to be a minecraft type game. Don't know why they would tie the EQ franchise to minecraft. They just don't go together.

because it is really not just another minecraft game

they are bringing more gameplay elements into a stale genre

the game is built on voxels which many developers including john carmack have wanted to do for a long time

this allows full destruction and modeling of the environment

now if only they could make a actually enjoyable realistic art style

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Keep in mind EQNext is NOT going to be like Landmark, its just the same engine that Next is going to use. Next is a full blown MMO.

Voxels is also going to be in PvP centric Camelot Unchained (soon to be renamed).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well I got a Landmark invite so I guess I'll go poke around, it looks pretty at least. Though I never played Minecraft and I didn't enjoy Terraria either, so it might not be for me lol.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Well I got a Landmark invite so I guess I'll go poke around, it looks pretty at least. Though I never played Minecraft and I didn't enjoy Terraria either, so it might not be for me lol.

if you do not want it i will take it

is it a key?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
No, not this invite at least. I only got an email notifying me my account had access for seven days (so only 3 at this point ><) - I think you can get additional time with "Time-Limited Closed Beta key"s which I think people who 'bought' the beta can share or you can get through certain promotions/magazines/something?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Hm, it's neat but it's not a game that plays well under the notion of a time constraint. Like, it's a relaxing kind of organic experience - but that's kind of undermined by the idea you only have a few days to give it a shot lol.

Plot claims seem HUGE relative to the size of the map (and what most player's will actually construct I think), maybe that varies by server though. I think part of the intent is so that one person's "construction" doesn't impede on another person's borders or even their 'view', but I think it'll ultimately amount to a lot of empty, unclaimable space.

Mining, harvesting, exploring are all pretty cool - there's something to be said for simply having fun "gearing up" as it were - especially with some of the neat accessory items that you can make (ring to find rare materials more often, boots that make you run faster, amulet that makes you jump higher, etc). A click "lock" would be really helpful though - rather than having to spam click or hold M1 the whole time.

Haven't done much of any 'building' stuff yet, aside from placing some blocks to jump out of some mining holes.

I don't think I'd ever end up building the Taj Mahal, but it's a nice change of pace from the feeling you typically get from an online game.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Hm, it's neat but it's not a game that plays well under the notion of a time constraint. Like, it's a relaxing kind of organic experience - but that's kind of undermined by the idea you only have a few days to give it a shot lol. Plot claims seem HUGE relative to the size of the map (and what most player's will actually construct I think), maybe that varies by server though. I think part of the intent is so that one person's "construction" doesn't impede on another person's borders or even their 'view', but I think it'll ultimately amount to a lot of empty, unclaimable space. Mining, harvesting, exploring are all pretty cool - there's something to be said for simply having fun "gearing up" as it were - especially with some of the neat accessory items that you can make (ring to find rare materials more often, boots that make you run faster, amulet that makes you jump higher, etc). A click "lock" would be really helpful though - rather than having to spam click or hold M1 the whole time. Haven't done much of any 'building' stuff yet, aside from placing some blocks to jump out of some mining holes. I don't think I'd ever end up building the Taj Mahal, but it's a nice change of pace from the feeling you typically get from an online game.

have liked it so far

what server are you on

right now i have a claim on fjord on the serenity server which is right where they started me

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Funny, I was in closed/current beta and yesterday I attempted to log in and it said my account doesn't have access anymore... and at the same time I saw Steam advertising early access... lol SOE, trying to pull a quick one aren't you?

Last edited: