Landlord won't fix AC

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JackOfHearts, Jul 11, 2007.

1. JackOfHearts

JackOfHearts Senior member

What can I do to get my landlord to fix my air conditioner? I keep calling they keep saying they put in work orders for maintenance, but it has been 2 months and it is hot. People have told me to put money my rent in escrow. How would I go about doing something like that? Also, is there any government agency I can report them to?

2. paulxcook

paulxcook Diamond Member

Have you documented at all your attempts to get the landlord to fix the AC? If you have, sue him. If not, start, then sue him.

3. ThePresence

ThePresence Elite Member

As a former property manager, let me tell you: Do not withold rent. It's a terrible idea. They can evict you for that, your repair issues notwithstanding. I would suggest calling again, speaking personally to the manager if possible. If all else fails have a lawyer send them a letter. That usually does the trick quickly.

4. j00fek

j00fek Diamond Member

look at your state rights on tenants

5. RaiderJ

RaiderJ Diamond Member

In Alaska, after 14 days of the landlord not fixing a critical item, such as heating, hot water, you can pay to have the item fixed yourself, and deduct that amount from the rent.

6. mugs

mugs Lifer

Would A/C qualify though? Plenty of people live without A/C.

7. HomerSapien

HomerSapien Golden Member

Follow the Presence's advice. Go through your lease to find all documentation about how long they have to fix it or reply to fixing. Then start calling every day to find out the status or updates on them fixing it. But do it politely.

8. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Escrow means to put your money under control of a third party.

You could have a lawyer or a bank, etc handle that issue.

9. dullard

dullard Elite Member

When persuing legal matters you can:

1) Follow the rules/contract/law, be just fine, and then sue later for all the damages.

or

2) Make your own rules, pay all kinds of consequences (eviction, jail time, lawsuits against you, etc), and then sue later for only the original damages and you get nothing for the consequences that tortured you.

Most people want to do #2 for some odd reason.

10. Soapy Bones

Soapy Bones Senior member

As mentioned already, you have to check with your state's laws on this matter. In Ohio they have laws that say you can go down to the city or county office and pay your rent through them in escrow if things are not repaired like that. But it is critical that you look up the states laws so that you are not breaking them. Just not paying the rent is NOT the way to go no matter what the issues are.

11. JackOfHearts

I have been calling 1-3 times a week for 2 months or so... Every time I call they just say they are putting in a work order, and will be out in the next week. One maintenance guy showed up looked at it for 5 minutes left and reported it was fixed. Because the next time I called they said they thought it was fixed that was about a month ago. So they put in another work order. It is 80+ in my apartment right now.

12. ThePresence

ThePresence Elite Member

Next time you call ask to speak to the manager. If you see him/her around the complex, speak to him about it.

13. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

dont call, walk over there and demand someone fix it.

14. Chadder007

Chadder007 Diamond Member

Go cut the lines to his AC = FTW?

15. nweaver

nweaver Diamond Member

80+....omg, you could almost die from heat like that!! er, wait, no you won't.

16. MrDudeMan

MrDudeMan Lifer

seriously :roll: some people are such pussies now-a-days. 80+? OMG. Armageddon.

17. Hacp

Hacp Lifer

Depends on humidity. 80+ with something like 80-90% humidity would be brutal.

18. ThePresence

ThePresence Elite Member

Doesn't matter if it's survivable. He's uncomfortable in his apt. because of something they should have fixed. That is a legitimate issue IMO.

19. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

I'm pretty sure its the same way here in wv

20. nweaver

nweaver Diamond Member

yes and no....80 is very surviable. There are many people living with no AC in 100+ temps. Maybe they are having major issues in other buildings with plumbing, should his comfort take precedence of someones ability to shower? How about a family with a foot of sewage in their apt?

Don't get me wrong, they ARE wrong, and need to fix this/give the OP some feedback. I'm just saying to take it into perspective. 80 isn't bad at all.

21. JackOfHearts

80+ means 80-110+ in here... with 70-100% humidity unless it rains. Being ignored about this annoys me more then the heat.... They keep saying we will be there this week and they never come.

22. RaiderJ

RaiderJ Diamond Member

I would think it would depend on the local climate. Here, A/C isn't found in houses, so it wouldn't be a critical item. However, the reverse might be true in Arizona or some other hot state.

My understanding of the law would lead me to believe any item that is considered a part of the rental unit would fall under the 14 day rule.

23. child of wonder

child of wonder Diamond Member

Says someone likely sitting in an air conditioned room.

24. JeffreyLebowski

The lease means crap when it comes to time that is allowable by law to fix an item. In Texas they have 14 days to fix it. If you keep copies of your notices to the land lord and it goes unfixed then you can move out without incurring the costs of loosing your deposit, and all the other BS they think they can stiff you with. They can't provide a place for you to live in and then fail to keep it at the same level as when you moved in.