Land of the Lost movie?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Universal is pushing the button on "Land of the Lost" for a March start.

Decision to greenlight the Will Ferrell project surprised observers, who are aware that U had a rough ride with its $160 million comedy "Evan Almighty." Studio sources suggest the budget of "Land of the Lost," described as an event comedy, was recalibrated from $125 million to $100 million in order to earn its start date.

Brad Silberling will helm the bigscreen adaptation of Sid & Marty Krofft's children's skein of the same name. Jimmy Miller is producing along with the Kroffts; Julie Wixson-Darmody and Daniel Lupi exec produce.

Decision to move ahead effectively removes Ferrell from availability for other pre-strike projects on the cusp, such as "Himelfarb" for Warner Bros. The comedian has been attached to "Land of the Lost" for several years. Miller reps Ferrell and the Kroffts, who have long tried to get a bigscreen adaptation of their show made.

Adaptation by Chris Henchy and Dennis McNicholas revolves around a disgraced paleontologist, his assistant and a macho tour guide who find themselves in a strange world inhabited by dinosaurs, monkey people and reptilian Sleestaks.

Donna Langley spearheaded the effort to obtain rights from the Kroffts, who also produced and created smallscreen skeins such as "H.R. Pufnstuf," "Lidsville" and "Donny and Marie."

While I can see Land of the Lost being played for laughs....I have a hard time seeing it being played for Will Ferrel type laughs. I'm sure it will give him an excuse to run around taking his close off.....again.

Original "Land of the Lost" Opening

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
-3 x 10^786 to nkgreen for using the tired, never-funny-but-people-keep-doing-it, "fixed" quote technique

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
It isn't a matter that I don't like Will Ferrel in a movie. I just don't know if a comedy with Ferrel pulling a Ricky Bobby/Chaz Michaels/Ron Burgundy/Frank Ricard working in a situation that is already ludicrous beyond belief. If they try to tone down Ferrel then he comes across as milquetoast like he did in the Bewitched remake.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Sounds good. You know, not everything that Will Ferrell does is these wacky comedies. He's actually quite versatile as an actor - he just knows where his bread is buttered.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Cool. Like Will Ferrell and watched Land of the Lost every Saturday morning.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Deeko
-1 to the OP for disliking Will Ferrell being in a movie

Subtract 1000000 factorial more from the OP's score for disliking Will Ferrell being in a movie.

Sure he has had a few dumb moments, but with masterpieces such as Anchorman .... how can anyone not like the guy? I mean, really ... So many excellent one liners.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Originally posted by: Deeko
-1 to the OP for disliking Will Ferrell being in a movie

Subtract 1000000 factorial more from the OP's score for disliking Will Ferrell being in a movie.

Sure he has had a few dumb moments, but with masterpieces such as Anchorman .... how can anyone not like the guy? I mean, really ... So many excellent one liners.

I worry about the reading comprehension around here sometimes.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
It isn't a matter that I don't like Will Ferrel in a movie. I just don't know if a comedy with Ferrel pulling a Ricky Bobby/Chaz Michaels/Ron Burgundy/Frank Ricard working in a situation that is already ludicrous beyond belief. If they try to tone down Ferrel then he comes across as milquetoast like he did in the Bewitched remake.

What about in the movie Stranger than Fiction?

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Will Ferrell plays Rick Marshall, an egotistical, disgraced paleontologist at the top of his profession. He and his sidekick, played by Chris Parnell, seem invincible until their dominance is threatened by a new rival. Rick Marshall's excessive pride causes him to spiral downward to comical lows. Accidently discovering a dimensional portal, he (along with his sidekick Chris Parnell and macho tour guide Ben Stiller) enters an enigmatic zone whose place and time are unknown.

When he is at the depths of despair, he removes his shirt and bellows, "Sweet Winston Churchill's ninja! My lung is a bubblicious cane!"

After a wacky training process featuring a surprise cameo by Jon Favreau and a marginally-developed homoerotic romantic subplot, he discovers how to escape from the Land of the Lost and enters into a climactic showdown with his rival and emerges victorious - but not without learning a thing or two about friendship.