Lance not the only one kicking ass in the Tour: Tyler Hamilton wins stage 16...with a broken collarbone!

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Pussies?

Hell, those guys are ironmen. I just can't imagine the stamina and the physical strength they have.

They are athletes by any definition of the word.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
at least they race with a full suit on and not a thong
You guys keep cracking wise about my cycling attire and I'll start posting pics. Big ones. Like 1600 x 1200. Nary a detail will escape the camera's eye.

You have been warned.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Pussies?

Hell, those guys are ironmen. I just can't imagine the stamina and the physical strength they have.

They are athletes by any definition of the word.
My comment was jokingly aimed at the "My kid rides a bike....what makes these guys any different?" knuckle-draggers. ;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: waylman
Bike racers are not pussies, but those that watch it on TV are.
Most people who watch bike racing are racers themselves. ;)

<---- has raced since 1990. :D

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
This guy is truly a stud. Isn't he the same guy that was riding hurt for so long one year, that he wore his teeth down to the point of needing crowns? THAT is a pain threshold. . .

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I'd like to see him try it in a thong...

Actually, no I would not like to see him...maybe hear about it or read about it

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: yamahaXS
anyone know how they modded Hamilton's bike after he crashed to soften the ride?

All they did was apply a second layer of cork handlebar tape. Tyler's team, CSC, rides Cervelo road bikes, and he rides a prototype carbon fiber model that is very light, and pretty stiff as well. Carbon has good shock damping properties, but none of the bikes in the professional peloton are what one would typically think of as comfortable. There is really no feasible way of meaningfully softening the ride to accomodate his injury, while still keeping the bike competitive - it still has to be able to climb well and descend safely at scary speeds.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Now tell me bike racers are pussies....I dare you.
It takes an exceptional athlete to go through the training they do, not to mention race up the pyranees and the alps...not to mention riding 60mph or something down them at times. Some of the most conditioned, gutsy athletes in the world imo. Those guys know pain.

Originally posted by: sygyzy
In overall standings, is Lance's lead 1.07 seconds or minutes?

67 seconds, fortunately.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
So...you're more likely to win the more banged up you are?
There was actually a good quote from Lance after falling and then winning the other day about how he rides better when he's pissed off. :D

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Now tell me bike racers are pussies....I dare you.
It takes an exceptional athlete to go through the training they do, not to mention race up the pyranees and the alps...not to mention riding 60mph or something down them at times. Some of the most conditioned, gutsy athletes in the world imo. Those guys know pain.

Originally posted by: sygyzy
In overall standings, is Lance's lead 1.07 seconds or minutes?

67 seconds, fortunately.

at their speeds that about 1/2 mile.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
the french can't be happy.
Actually, they are happy. It's been a very exciting race and they like to see people win in the face of adversity. As such, Lance and Tyler winning despite a fall and broken collarbone (respectively) is great by them.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
So...you're more likely to win the more banged up you are?
There was actually a good quote from Lance after falling and then winning the other day about how he rides better when he's pissed off. :D

I think that sentiment holds true. It's amazing what can happen when you're hurt/annoyed.