Lance Armstrong to Euros: Two more years of whoopass, then you can have your Tour back.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Lance says he'll do two more Tours de France before retiring.
Five-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong told a Washington, D.C. audience on Wednesday that he expects to ride two more Tours, the first time he has revealed his intent to ride past the 2004 season.

"Probably two more, one in '04 and '05," said Armstrong, to gasps, in response to a question about future Tour goals posed to him after his speech on cancer research at the National Press Club. Armstrong turned 32 this September and would be 33 during the 2005 Tour, making him one of the rare older champions if he were to win that year.

Only two riders 33 or older have won the Tour since World War II: Italian Gino Bartali, 34, in 1948, and Dutchman Joop Zoetemelk, 33, in 1980. Among the five-time winners club, Armstrong and Miguel Indurain each won their fifth at age 31, Indurain's in 1995. The oldest winner in Tour history is Firmin Lambot, a Belgian, who was 36 when he won his second Tour in 1922.

:D

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I would like to see a Le Grand Tour De France........... using adult sized Big Wheels or Green Machines :D

Cheers,
Aquaman

Helixate1

Sep 16, 2003
I think he has one more in him. As for a second one, I don't think he can do it. Plus, he lost one of his teammates, Roberto Heras (sp?).

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the post, Fausto.

"Till he calls it a day", indeed!
I read the interview too. When he retires, he wants to be a T-Ball coach.
Says he might do the 04' Olympics! Go Lance.....:)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
hehe, that's awesome...they must have all just gone "awwww, sh*t"
Jan Ullrich sure as hell did. He's the Tour's perennial bridesmaid and would have been dominating all these years were it not for Mr. Legstrong. :D

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman
I would like to see a Le Grand Tour De France........... using adult sized Big Wheels or Green Machines :D

Cheers,
Aquaman
I like your thinking. Let's build one of our own... in Vegas!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
I like your thinking. Let's build one of our own... in Vegas!
Rule #1: Competitors must chug one beer per lap or be DQed. :D

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Rule #3: Female competitors who choose not to be hosed down go into an immediate teammate on teammate double elimination no-holds-barred jello wrestling match.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto
Jan Ullrich sure as hell did. He's the Tour's perennial bridesmaid and would have been dominating all these years were it not for Mr. Legstrong. :D

Hows this: Jan Ullrich is to Lance Armstrong, what Randy Mamola was to Kenny Roberts.

Allways a bride's maid never a bride. As Jan, Randy gave his best.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Originally posted by: Fausto

Hows this: Jan Ullrich is to Lance Armstrong, what Randy Mamola was to Kenny Roberts.

Allways a bride's maid never a bride. As Jan, Randy gave his best.
Yup. No matter how good you are and how hard you try, odds are there's someone better. ;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
YADP.
rolleye.gif