Laid back jobs....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
I'm starting to get bored at my job after 3 months. I'm an IT admin. I surf the web probably for 7 hours during the day and do about 1 hour of work.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I play loud music in my lab while rocking the t-shirt and shorts, drinking a beer that my employer provides free of charge after I just took a 3 hour lunch break to play basketball.

Yes... grad school FTW.

Ilikepiedoyou

Jan 10, 2006
I am only 22 but I have a corner office at the architecture firm I work at. They are super flexible aroudn my school schedule and some weeks I don't come in at all. Its great being the top engineer at this age.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: yassine
Originally posted by: clamum
Wasn't the city workers we joked about when we worked at Daniell Heights doing the outside work? Like one of us would be shoveling sand and the other standing there with his arms resting on the shovel watching? Hahaha.

Haha yeah the city worker stand... it's a classic.

Just to play devil's advocate here, sometimes only one person can be in the hole digging at a time. Sometimes the others are talking about what the next action is going to be.

City workers are not all lazy. :laugh:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
My job alternates between being laid back and frenzied. When I've got a major project going on it HAS to be done. Scheduling is like setting up dominoes, everything needs to fall in order or it breaks everything else that comes after it. When that's happening (about half the time) I work my butt off and can offer no excuses. It gets done no matter what measures I have to take or how long I have to work on a given day. It it takes from 6am to 8pm, that's what I work.

The other half of the time things are pretty mellow. My boss understands that I get the important jobs done properly and that's all that he cares about. During the slow times if I drag my butt into work at 9, get some minor project done and am on the golf course by noon he's cool with it. As he's in New Jersey and I'm in Connecticut we only see each other about 10 times a year and that's the way we both like it. He doesn't worry about me getting things done and I don't have to worry about him micromanaging me.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I just got done playing Command and Conquer with my boss for an hour.

Things are REALLY slack when we're all getting laid off. : )

Are you really all getting laid off? What's the reason? When will it happen?

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
I used to work at a grocery store and we played hockey in the back with a beat up broom and a can of tuna, We used the freezer as one goal and a flat bed cart as the second.

bcoupland

Jun 26, 2004
If you're a Canadian, I recommend becoming a Senator. Basically all you do is rubber-stamp bills from the House of Commons while getting paid a six-figure salary. You don't even have to be there -- any lame excuse will work. Plus, you're set for life -- if I recall correctly, pensions are around 60-70k for the rest of your life.

Zipp

Apr 7, 2001
My job has it moments...And alot of them...But I have to admit for the most part it's pretty laid back.

I deal with crazy women often and drunk idiots on occassion but I keep things in check. I call the shots and for the
most part my employees respect me..(They better or I'll fire there ass)

I can come and go as I please and have a beer any time I feel like it...It's not a bad a gig...It pays the bills.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: bcoupland
If you're a Canadian, I recommend becoming a Senator. Basically all you do is rubber-stamp bills from the House of Commons while getting paid a six-figure salary. You don't even have to be there -- any lame excuse will work. Plus, you're set for life -- if I recall correctly, pensions are around 60-70k for the rest of your life.

Perfect! I think I'll move to Canada. That sounds like a great job! :)