Lady Denied: John Kerry Endorses Barack Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
It doesn't matter who Kerry endorses. Diebold endorses Clinton, at least for the primaries.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: glugglug
It doesn't matter who Kerry endorses. Diebold endorses Clinton, at least for the primaries.

the fact that everyone thinks the elections are rigged for everyone else's candidate makes me think that the machines are probably perfectly fine and diebold doesn't give a shit who's in office.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
It sort of looks to me like Hillary is going to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by playing the victimization card with women. She just has to cry a few more times to get elected. It was such a touching moment and I know we were all deeply moved, right? She has so many important plans for the nation and black Obama is trying to rape her kid.

Oh... stf.. nvm.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: Pabster
Looks like the Clinton Machine is starting to lose its wheels...

We've heard that one before ....

yes we have and Pabster is correct!!
Thanks for pointing out that it`s been said before!!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
And I've had the same feeling lately. I've found myself agreeing pretty regularly with some regulars I almost never agree with. What the hell's going on around here? ;)
that's easy!

1) members from all over the political spectrum can agree that Paulbots are kinda wacko, and that he never really stood a chance of winning.
2) members from all over the political spectrum cant stand HRC.
3) members from all over the political spectrum think Obama is a decent candidate.

I think that's where all of your "agreements" will end, but it certainly speaks to the possibility of everyone having more in common than they (we) may have previously imagined.

As for Kerry backing Obama? meh...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I'm really and truly getting afraid for my sanity. I find myself agreeing with Pabster a lot these days. ;)

You've been Pabsterized :laugh:

And I've had the same feeling lately. I've found myself agreeing pretty regularly with some regulars I almost never agree with. What the hell's going on around here? ;)

It`s called Karma.....lol

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
If Bill Richardson comes out and endorses Obama when he offically drops out of the race that would be a far bigger blow to Clinton than Kerry. Remember Richardson is a Clintonite.

actually if Bill Clinton came out and endorsed OBama that would put the coffin pin in OBama`s coffin...lol

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: glugglug

the fact that everyone thinks the elections are rigged for everyone else's candidate makes me think that the machines are probably perfectly fine and diebold doesn't give a shit who's in office.

we dont agree often but I think your right on the money!!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I've never been a Kerry fan, but I give him credit for showing some cajones and endorsing Obama now.

It's not often that you a Senator endorse someone over a fellow Senator. No doubt HRC and Edwards are offended.

The MSM talking are shocked, shocked, that he did this before Feb 5th. They think he should've waited until after then. But who would care? The primary would basically be over by then.

Looks to me that Kerry is trying to have an actual effect and putting his @ss on the line (what if HRC is elected Pres?), instead of waiting until it's basically over and endorsing the safe (winning) candidate.

Kerry is said to have an email list a mile-long with the name of Dem faithful donors etc. If he employs that for Obama it could be a big help.

I think it could potentially help big-time with the black voters of SC who are said be concerned about Obama's electability. The endorsement of such a mainstream Dem who was actually a Pres candidate could help legitimize Obama.

Fern

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Looks to me that Kerry is trying to have an actual effect and putting his @ss on the line (what if HRC is elected Pres?), instead of waiting until it's basically over and endorsing the safe (winning) candidate.

Well, I agree, but the last time Kerry 'put his ass on the line', he endorsed Howard Dean. And we know how that turned out... ;)

Kerry is said to have an email list a mile-long with the name of Dem faithful donors etc. If he employs that for Obama it could be a big help.

I think it is universally agreed that Kerry will be a great help with organizational matters.

I think it could potentially help big-time with the black voters of SC who are said be concerned about Obama's electability. The endorsement of such a mainstream Dem who was actually a Pres candidate could help legitimize Obama.

That's a good point.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Well, I agree, but the last time Kerry 'put his ass on the line', he endorsed Howard Dean. And we know how that turned out... ;)

are you thinking of Gore, who endorsed Dean over Kerry in '04? I'm not a big fan of Gore... I voted for Bush in '00 and don't regret the vote, but more and more, it seems like Gore always looks so correct in the first place after we all ignore his advice and do the wrong thing :p

or did Kerry endorse Dean when he can for the DNC chair or whatever?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
are you thinking of Gore, who endorsed Dean over Kerry in '04? I'm not a big fan of Gore... I voted for Bush in '00 and don't regret the vote, but more and more, it seems like Gore always looks so correct in the first place after we all ignore his advice and do the wrong thing :p

or did Kerry endorse Dean when he can for the DNC chair or whatever?

Sorry, you're right. It was Al who stuck his neck out on Dean.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
It's not often that you a Senator endorse someone over a fellow Senator. No doubt HRC and Edwards are offended.

Aren't both Obama and Clinton fellow Senators?

Gold:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/03/03lgore.phtml

Gore's Endorsement

Al Gore.....Darrell Hammond
Tipper Gore.....Amy Poehler
Sen. John Kerry.....Srth Meyers

[ open on Al Gore talking on the phone, alone in his kitcen ]

Al Gore: Okay. Goodbye to you, then. [ hangs up phone ]

Tipper Gore: Al. Honey. Aren't you coming to bed?

Al Gore: I'll be right there. It's just, the Democratic Party needs Al Gore. I'm trying otm ake the world a better place!

Tipper Gore: Come to bed.

Al Gore: Okay, Tipper, I got one more call to make tonight.

[ Tipper exits ]

Al Gore: [ dials phone, clears throat ] Hello? Hello! This is Al Gore.

[ cut to Sen. John Kerry on the other end of the phone ]

Sen. John Kerry: Hello, Al.

Al Gore: I.. I wanted ot be the first to say congratulations, Senator Kerry.

Sen. John Kerry: Well, thank you, Al. Of course, it's not over yet.

Al Gore: I know. I heard you had an affair.

Sen. John Kerry: I have already categorically denied that.

Al Gore: Don't worry, it doesn't matter! I was on the ticket with an honest-to-God pervert, and he mopped up George, Sr.! I mean, I think you're the man! At first, you know, I supported Howard Deam.

Sen. John Kerry: Yes. I know. I want to thank you for that, Al!

Al Gore: I don't think Dean would've gotten as far as he did, without my support.

Sen. John Kerry: Al, he hasn't won a single state.

Al Gore: Well, I'm done supporting him! I tried to support Clark but he wouldn't talk to me. Then, I.. expressed interest in supporting Edwards. But he tried to sue me! And Lieberman took a poke.. at.. me.

Sen. John Kerry: Well.. you had that one coming to you, Al.

Al Gore: [ changing subject ] Anyway.. I think the entire world would like to know, who I'm going to support now?

Sen. John Kerry: Well, I'll tell you what I think, Al: I think you're delusional.

Al Gore: Well, the wait is over. I.. decided.. to support.. youuuuu!!

Sen. John Kerry: Gosh, Al, I-I really wish you wouldn't do that. You know, I think I've got a real chance here.

Al Gore: I've got some very big ideas. Let's invest in health care, education! Let's preserve the environment! We can make this country stronger! And richer! I am.. ex-cit-ed.

Sen. John Kerry: Well, Al.. they're all good ideas, they.. they just don't sound good coming out of you!

Al Gore: That's because you haven't heard my new style.

Sen. John Kerry: People have been talking about your new style, Al, and.. I'm not sure it's the right move.

Al Gore: Listen. I've got a new throat thing going. [ demonstrates ] Our president BETRAYED our trust!! He LIED to us!! I'm Al GORE!! My hatred for him GROWS!! [ softens his tone ] ..and grooooows. I can turn it on and off, it's easy. You should try it!

Sen. John Kerry: Yeah. I probably won't try that, Al.

Al Gore: You just wait 'til I'm at the convention. I'm gonna be a big ol' hit at the convention.

Sen. John Kerry: Yeah.. the convention.. [ lying ] It's in, uh, Salt Lake City gthis year, Al. I'll see you there!

Al Gore: I thought it was in Boston..?

Sen. John Kerry: Yeah, I guess they moved it! Now it's out in Salt Lake! I can't wait to see you in Salt Lake City, Al!

Al Gore: Hey, wha- what..? What's this I hear about you needing a Vice-President?

Sen. John Kerry: Gotta run, Al!

Al Gore: No, no, I-I don't know if you remember this, but.. I've been a Vice-President --

Sen. John Kerry: Oh, you know what? I'm driving into a tunnel, Al! I'm onmy cell phone! [ faking ] Crackle.. crackle.. Gotta go! I'm breaking up! Crackle..

Al Gore: Remember the throat yell, it's real --

[ Kerry has hung up, Gore is stuck with the dial tone ]

[ Tipper re-enters the kitchen ]

Tipper Gore: Al. you said you were coming to bed.

Al Gore: John Kerry is so excited about my support! [ pretends he's still speaking with Kerry ] I've gotta go now, John! Bye! [ hangs up the phone ] I think I'll make a big announcement tomorrow, Tipper. I think the world will want to know, and they'll be listening..

Tipper Gore: That's nice, Al. You come upstairs, okay? I've got your pajamas all laid out.

[ Tipper exits ]

Al Gore: I just wanted to say, that.. "Live! From New York! It's Saturday Night!"

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'd personally consider an endorsement by John Kerry a negative. I mean seriously, he lost what should have been a cake walk in 2004. A monkey in a nice suit should have been able to beat Bush.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Of course.

And she was NOT very pleased that he declared (after her).

Others have tried to get Senators etc to to endorse a candidate this cycle, so far as I know all have to declined (except Kerry now).

BTW: Richardson has dropped out and endorsed HRC. No surprise since he was a (Bill) Clinton appointee. But it is odd that he was rumored to have encouraged his Iowa delegates to swicth to Obama in caucuses where he didn't reach the minimum 15%. I also heard Bill was outraged at that.

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Of course.

And she was NOT very pleased that he declared (after her).

Others have tried to get Senators etc to to endorse a candidate this cycle, so far as I know all have to declined (except Kerry now).

BTW: Richardson has dropped out and endorsed HRC. No surprise since he was a (Bill) Clinton appointee. But it is odd that he was rumored to have encouraged his Iowa delegates to swicth to Obama in caucuses where he didn't reach the minimum 15%. I also heard Bill was outraged at that.

Fern

What, if anything, happens to the delegates Edwards won when he drops out?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

What, if anything, happens to the delegates Edwards won when he drops out?

IDK, good question.

If they were actual electoral delegates I think they can support whomever they wish. Actually, I think they can do that whether or not their candidate drops out or remains in.

But this is a party nomination election. IDK if they have "national rules", or operate under their state rules.

Wrekem, eskimospy or craig234 may know.

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I didn't think he was going to endorse Hillary anyways. I mean the Clintons weren't exactly helpful to his campaign :)
But he did throw his running pal Edwards under the bus :D

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
I didn't think he was going to endorse Hillary anyways. I mean the Clintons weren't exactly helpful to his campaign :)

this is because Edwards did nothing for him in 04, didn't even carry carolina for him

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark

this is because Edwards did nothing for him in 04, didn't even carry carolina for him

there's a lot of animosity between Edwards and Kerry.

Edwards thinks that Kerry lost because he wasn't willing to listen to Edwards' advice; meanwhile, Kerry blames Edwards and the fact that he (Edwards) became like a completely different person once the national campaign started, dropping all of his fiery rhetoric and culminating in his complete and total smackdown by Cheney in the VP debate.

Edwards has publicly stated that he would not accept Kerry's endorsement if it were offered.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

IDK, good question.

If they were actual electoral delegates I think they can support whomever they wish. Actually, I think they can do that whether or not their candidate drops out or remains in.

But this is a party nomination election. IDK if they have "national rules", or operate under their state rules.

Wrekem, eskimospy or craig234 may know.

Fern

Pledged delegates (and electoral college delegates) can technically still vote for whoever they want, but in all the states I'm aware of the candidate that wins selects the delegates so the chances of them NOT voting for their own candidate is pretty much zero... since of course you would only pick the most rabid possible supporters of yours to be your delegates.

When a candidate quits the race one of the things they do is formally release their pledged delegates from having to vote for them. Then those delegates usually vote for whoever their candiate endorses, but it's not the virtual certainty that it is with the other ones.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999

Bill Clinton campaigned for Kerry in Philadelphia and drew 250,000 people which probably helped Kerry carry Pennsylvania. This is right after Bill Clinton had open heart surgery. Yeah, he really didn't help out.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Bill Clinton campaigned for Kerry in Philadelphia and drew 250,000 people which probably helped Kerry carry Pennsylvania. This is right after Bill Clinton had open heart surgery. Yeah, he really didn't help out.

Don't waste your time with senseamp. He has this bubble he lives in where Bill is still President, Reno is still presiding over Justice, and Cisneros is running a fine housing operation.

He'll continue to rewrite and revision history as it suits his agenda.