Ladies: What's worse, giving birth or breaking a bone?

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
I'm out with a spiral tibia/fibula fracture (those are both lower leg bones). It hurt worse that anything I could have imagined. I now have a 7" scar (with fun staple accessory scars), a 6" titanium plate, and 7 screws in my leg. I was wondering if any ladies have broken a bone and given birth, and which was more painful. I'm sure it depends on the break, but if it hurt as bad as my break, I don't know why anyone would have more than I child.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
I think giving birth looks fun and exciting. If i was a woman, I would give birth all the time.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For some women, birthing isn't bad at all.. Especially after the 1st.

Originally posted by: fatbaby
I think giving birth looks fun and exciting. If i was a woman, I would give birth all the time.
LMAO....

Unfortunately, far too many women subscribe to this theory.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you going to tell us how you broke it?

I can't speak for my wife, but I know giving birth is a drawn out grueling process. Maybe it would be better to compare it to breaking your leg VERY slowly.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Ornery
Are you going to tell us how you broke it?

I can't speak for my wife, but I know giving birth is a drawn out grueling process. Maybe it would be better to compare it to breaking your leg VERY slowly.

OUCH. Riding over railroad tracks on the way to the hospital sucked. My fiancee took me and my leg just dangled. The doctor said he's never has such a pleasant tibia fracture (I was trying to be tough) but also that he's never had to give someone so much morphine to knock them out.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker
i dont think this would help you win any arguments with your wife.

I got married a month ago (on crutches) and the wife hasn't had any kids. So there is no argument, I was just wondering.

aeroguy

Mar 21, 2002
I missed the thread where you mentioned how you broke it.

Oh, sorry. I slipped on the ice. No amazing story, kind of boring. I started spinning around when slinging my 30 lb bookbag around on my back, put my foot down, and CRACK. The ice had melted and refrozen that day, making it worse. The doctor didn't believe me when I told him I slipped on the ice since I was so young. He said he normally sees these breaks in car accidents and 80 year old ladies. Ouch for the ego! But after he did the surgery he said the bone looked really strong and healthy, so I don't know what the deal is.

This was the beginning of April. Hopefully tomorrow the doctor will finally let me walk on it (only 3 months after the fact!)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Sounds pretty darn painful. You did get something for the pain, right? ;)
Yeah. You should have hit him up for some free acetominophen.

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Sounds pretty darn painful. You did get something for the pain, right? ;)

oh, he said he got a lot of morphine...hey wait a second...
:D

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
You should be glad you didn't break your ankle. My mom twisted hers when going down a dirt hill. It broke parts of her ankle and so she needed a pin to walk again. Now about 15 year laters she can walk but her right ankle looks fugly.

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: aeroguy
I'm out with a spiral tibia/fibula fracture (those are both lower leg bones). It hurt worse that anything I could have imagined. I now have a 7" scar (with fun staple accessory scars), a 6" titanium plate, and 7 screws in my leg. I was wondering if any ladies have broken a bone and given birth, and which was more painful. I'm sure it depends on the break, but if it hurt as bad as my break, I don't know why anyone would have more than I child.

While I've given birth and broken a couple of bones, I never compared the two in terms of pain. I have always compared birthing pain to that of a bad toothache magnified x 10 and located at your entire midsection (especially the lower back).
It is one of those types of pain that no matter what description or comparison you use, it doesnt quite come across.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: aeroguy
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker
i dont think this would help you win any arguments with your wife.

I got married a month ago (on crutches) and the wife hasn't had any kids. So there is no argument, I was just wondering.

I guess she isn't going to have any kids until at least 9 months after those crutches are gone. Then again, I don't know if you have some kind of workaround.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I just broke my fibula 6 weeks ago (exactly I think) and I can say that was the most pain I have ever experienced. I had a fracture that didn't go all the way across and didn't need setting or surgery. Your case is significantly worse than mine. I can't even imagine the pain you must have endured.

Good luck with rehab. I was only off my foot for about 3 weeks and it is quite difficult to get to normal walking again.

Interestingly, I had this conversation with my mom while I was visiting her this past week. She never had a break though so we can't really compare pain levels fairly.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
kidney stones are painful, child birth is nothing

just like a man..
rolleye.gif

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
Geez, never done either. I think its not really comparable though. I mean child birth, some people choose to take medications to ease the pain. Plus it plays on a different kind of pain and (according to moms) theres this exhilerating feeling at the end where you bask in the miracle of a real life human being thats yours. I don't think there are any rewards like that in breaking a bone.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
i'm just here to relay the following:

mrs. spamela claims childbirth is the worst.

our daughter (who's had 4 children) has a totally different opinion.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Giving birth or breaking a bone? I've done both and can tell you that a difficult pregnancy followed by a c-section birth with complications was a lot worse than my bone break.