Ladies and gentlemen your new incoming members of the 116th Congress. Notice anyting??

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm not saying Democrats have to have 1 Muslim, 1 woman, 1 black, 1 gay, 1 native American or 1 bisexual. But isn't it nice to know the Democrats look more like the entire country, not just a bunch of white guys.
2473.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When I started my career, professional meetings looked a lot like the upper photo (even had a pirate). They now look like the lower photo. :)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If that's whats important to you, then yes, it is nice. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
I'd also like to point out that the republicans elected a dead pimp to congress. The democrats don't have a dead guy or a pimp.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Saying that somebody HAS to be colored in order to be unbiased is actually quite biased and racist itself.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
If that's whats important to you, then yes, it is nice. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
I'd also like to point out that the republicans elected a dead pimp to congress. The democrats don't have a dead guy or a pimp.
Assuming you're referencing Dennis Hof and not some other dead pimp, they did not. He was elected to the state Legislature and not Congress. And in reality his very rural Republican Assembly district actually elected "A Republican to be named later" given how Nevada's process works.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Assuming you're referencing Dennis Hof and not some other dead pimp, they did not. He was elected to the state Legislature and not Congress. And in reality his very rural Republican Assembly district actually elected "A Republican to be named later" given how Nevada's process works.
My bad. I knew it was state level and promptly forgot. My apologies to all for misleading you.

But it reads so well when stated incorrectly, couldn't we just over look the glaring error and enjoy the insanity of it? Being able to write that really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll never get a chance to say that sentence again. Don't rob me of the dream.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Its important to people who have been excluded from the top group for years.

But maybe we should go your way, its not important that our representatives reflect the entire country, just a monochromatic subset.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Its important to people who have been excluded from the top group for years.

But maybe we should go your way, its not important that our representatives reflect the entire country, just a monochromatic subset.
I just don't pay attention, and I don't really care. I know that makes me racially insensitive, and I guess that's a bad thing to be, but I'm far more concerned with their actions than their skin color.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I just don't pay attention, and I don't really care. I know that makes me racially insensitive, and I guess that's a bad thing to be, but I'm far more concerned with their actions than their skin color.

That doesn't make you "racially insensitive", it reflects your white privilege and obliviousness of it. If you are actually far more concerned with their action than their skin color then you truly believe that non whites and women are inferior to white men.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
That doesn't make you "racially insensitive", it reflects your white privilege and obliviousness of it. If you are actually far more concerned with their action than their skin color then you truly believe that non whites and women are inferior to white men.

That makes no sense at all.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Its the only way its gonna work. Look at where the GOP is now. Dead meat. Their only chance for power now is to steal it.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
You didn't notice that one group is all middle aged white men whilst the other group is a mix of men and women of multiple age groups, sexes, and ethnicities? I don't have anything against middle aged white men, but am naturally anyone should be concerned about the proportions at play within the GOP.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
At least you are aware of it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The fact that you think this is all about race shows you really don't get it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Glancing at that picture, seems the Republicans do have at least one visible disability (the eyepatch fellow). So there's that.

And in theory I don't really agree with the emphasis on the personal demographic traits of individuals at the top. Just having the 'right' skin-color or the 'right' genitalia doesn't help if your policies are awful or you put your membership of the ruling elites above all other considerations anyway. That's what I would say is the 'bad' kind of identity-politics, the stress on individual characteristics over structural change. And not all forms of disadvantaged status are visible anyway.

But I can't avoid admitting that it's not a coincidence that all but one of the Republicans are white men and that it's not as if their policies are any better than their demographics.