Labs compete to make new nuclear bomb

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the San Francisco Bay area and the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico are competing to design the nation's first new nuclear bomb in two decades.

Link

So we're telling Iran not to develop nukes. We convinced Libya to give up theirs. We invaded Iraq because they supposedly had WMDs. The Great Decider said himself that free nations don't develop WMDs.

I have to ask, what the hell is wrong with Congress? Why do we need more nukes? Who are we going to bomb? Someone please tell me why this is a good idea and not just a donation to the Military Industrial complex?

I hope all of those assholes get voted out. This is just stupid.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Couldn't we save a lot of money by just buying nukes from China?

At the very least, we should outsource the research.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: feralkid

[snicker]

I think that maybe the ones we have in the ground are probably too questionable to use. They've been sitting there for a long time. Of course they do upkeep but we still aren't sure that all of them will work when and if they are needed.

That said, I don't like the fact that we have them in the first place.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: judasmachine

[snicker]

I think that maybe the ones we have in the ground are probably too questionable to use. They've been sitting there for a long time. Of course they do upkeep but we still aren't sure that all of them will work when and if they are needed.

Well, the obvious ( and totally sweet ) answer would be to use them - what better way to test all those supercomputer models for aging nuclear weapons.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

[snicker]

Well, the obvious ( and totally sweet ) answer would be to use them - what better way to test all those supercomputer models for aging nuclear weapons.

I say launch them all, and let mother nature sort it out.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

[/quote]

Generic Scientist Type: "Oh Sh!t, those models were all wrong - the yields were increased tenfold! - I guess they do age like wine!"

They know existing designs work, so why not recycle the old ones, build new versions of existing ones and spend the rest of the money on alt. energy research. In the end, less money on oil means more money for more cool weapons!

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002

Generic Scientist Type: "Oh Sh!t, those models were all wrong - the yields were increased tenfold! - I guess they do age like wine!"

They know existing designs work, so why not recycle the old ones, build new versions of existing ones and spend the rest of the money on alt. energy research. In the end, less money on oil means more money for more cool weapons!
[/quote]

I agree with you. I am just growing more and more cynical everyday.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I thought these new nukes are just to replace the current ones we have already? Granted, I don't know what they'll do with the old ones.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

[/quote]

It sounds like they are reworking the non-nuclear components and leaving the physics package mostly alone since yields will be unchanged and producing new pits is a big job.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: EatSpam
LOS ANGELES - The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the San Francisco Bay area and the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico are competing to design the nation's first new nuclear bomb in two decades.

Link

The Great Decider said himself that free nations don't develop WMDs.

Link to quote? He has said that free countries do not go to war with each other. I'm not aware of him saying that free countries don't develop WMD's. I'm sure that will come as a shock to Great Brittain, France etc...

As for your comparisons... You can hardly compare the actions of a democratically elected government with a government run by an unelected dictator or religious fanatic. (No Bush religious cracks) Apples and Oranges.

Edit: You're really reaching today. Are you in a bad mood or something? Can I get you some coffee? Or a :cookie:?

GeNome

Jan 12, 2006
Actually...

"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."

Link to article.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
As time goes by - our current weapons have a greater chance of not functioning. They have to be dismantled, and new, more sophisticated ones have to replace them.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: GeNome
Actually...

"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."

Link to article.

I stand corrected. Dubbya said something stupid. Never woulda guessed.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: sunzt
I thought these new nukes are just to replace the current ones we have already? Granted, I don't know what they'll do with the old ones.

Even if that's true, I fail to see why we need new nukes to replace the old ones. We already have enough to kill everyone 10 times over.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: GeNome
Actually...

Link to article.

Thanks, GeNome.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ScudRunner
The newer designs are more reliable, safer, and more tamper resistant.

I think it would be safer to just not have the nukes in the first place. I'd certainly feel safer if Georgie couldn't launch a nuke strike.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: sunzt

Even if that's true, I fail to see why we need new nukes to replace the old ones. We already have enough to kill everyone 10 times over.

You need new nukes because nukes are a LOT cheaper than a conventional force deterrent. IF we had to pay for a conventional force that could counter China, Russia, etc. in a conventional war, we would have to really staff up the ground and air forces - at a huge cost. And that would only get us parity, not overwhelming superiority.

The new nukes are a simply a requirement for staying the lone superpower on earth. Given that that status leads directly to an increased standard of living for everyone in the US, it's hard to argue with them...

Future Shock

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Link

So we're telling Iran not to develop nukes. We convinced Libya to give up theirs. We invaded Iraq because they supposedly had WMDs. The Great Decider said himself that free nations don't develop WMDs.

I have to ask, what the hell is wrong with Congress? Why do we need more nukes? Who are we going to bomb? Someone please tell me why this is a good idea and not just a donation to the Military Industrial complex?

actually your just plain stoopid!
trying to make a big tadoo about nothing as usual....13yrs old huh?

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Link

So you think its great that we're developing more nukes? Sounds like you're the one playing Cowboys and Indians. I'm in the real world where nukes destroy cities and kill lots of people. Thats not something I want. Don't know about you.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Link

So you think its great that we're developing more nukes? Sounds like you're the one playing Cowboys and Indians. I'm in the real world where nukes destroy cities and kill lots of people. Thats not something I want. Don't know about you.

your supposed reasoning is flawed...
We are`nt developing that bomb!! It is being hailed as a replacement Bomb!! We already have the bomb. Being a responsible nation as we are you have to continue to update and replace old stock. Thus we eliminate know that when the time comes to use the Bomb that it will work properly!!