LABOR LAWS: Can I do something about my employer screwing me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
If you work 3 10 hour shifts, or 6 5 hour shifts, you still spent the same amount of time at work. You simply got no more free time. Stop being a lazy punk.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: KK
where does it say that you can't work 7 days a week? there isn't any labor laws that say you can't. Grow a set and confront your boss if you don't like your schedule. bitching and moaning here won't get you very far.

My question was, is there anything in the labor laws that bars them from making you work more than 5 days a week.

"Bitching and moaning here won't get you very far" -

I'm not bitching and moaning, I'm asking for advice.

To anyone else who has a lame/smart ass/BS remark, do not post. If you have usefull information then please by all means enlighten me!

No, there is not.
There are labor laws for the following, none of which fit your description...

Minors may not work more than 30 hours per week.
Drivers & Train Operators may not driver for more than 12 hours without a mandatory 8 hour rest.
Individuals paid on an hourly pay rate (who are not members of management) must be paid time and a half for all hours worked over 40 per week.
Individuals paid on an hourly pay rate (who are not members of management) must be paid double time if they are called to work on a scheduled off day or holiday.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Cry me a f'n river....many people would kill for the chance to work that many hours to bring in the extra income. I've worked 42 hours straight without sleep before (on a salary not hourly wage), went home and slept for maybe 6 hours and went back in. Welcome to the real world.

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
Guess what. Unless you're a minor, that's perfectly legal. If you're not a minor, you're definitely a whiner. Suck it up, because 7 days in a row is a lot better than working 20 of 21 with four days off in the month of July.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
work or don't
ask them to change it or don't

what is the problem that you can't handle this yourself?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
my old boss worked 6 months STRAIT...sun-sat.

7am -- 4pm

sometimes earlier, sometimes went in at 3am to throw a new hood on.

He was the grounds crew fella at a cemetery.

horrid pay (30k, MAYBE?) and he HAD to have things done and frost hoods (over the winter) needed attending too.

I felt really bad for him, especially when I quit. He got two more kids though so he's fine. NO more of that crap for him.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: sao123
where does it say that you can't work 7 days a week? there isn't any labor laws that say you can't. Grow a set and confront your boss if you don't like your schedule. bitching and moaning here won't get you very far.

My question was, is there anything in the labor laws that bars them from making you work more than 5 days a week.

To anyone else who has a lame/smart ass/BS remark, do not post. If you have usefull information then please by all means enlighten me!

No, there is not.

Drivers & Train Operators may not driver for more than 12 hours without a mandatory 8 hour rest.
Individuals paid on an hourly pay rate (who are not members of management) must be paid time and a half for all hours worked over 40 per week.
Individuals paid on an hourly pay rate (who are not members of management) must be paid double time if they are called to work on a scheduled off day or holiday.

Well there is ONE thing I may be able to use. The schedule I have, show that I am the ONLY one working more than 5 days! Discrimination?

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
Well there is ONE thing I may be able to use. The schedule I have, show that I am the ONLY one working more than 5 days! Discrimination?

SHUT THE FVCK UP. Seriously. Don't like it? QUIT!

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
This is a classic employer strategy. They want to keep you working as many days as possible but only less than 5 hours a day. Why? To keep you under 40 hours a week, because then, GOD FORBID, they would be required to give you medical benefits.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
To those who have stupid posts like mwtgg, do not expect a response. Those of you who have tried to give me the best information possible, thank you, it is appreciated :)

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: apologetic
7 days @ 5 hrs/day = 35 hrs per week

Doesn't sound that bad. If it's not extremely early/late hours you're working, what's the problem? You go to work late and come home early...

The problem is I like my free time just like everyone else. When you work 6-7 days strait , you mentally don't have time to relax.

EDIT: the next four days I work 2pm-7pm, the next 3, 12am-5am.

You are such a pussy.

35hrs/week and 5hrs per day too tough? :confused:

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
To those who have stupid posts like mwtgg, do not expect a response. Those of you who have tried to give me the best information possible, thank you, it is appreciated :)

Don't expect to get any sympathy from anyone here. Really. Maybe if you were working 20 hour days for two weeks in a row, you'd get some. But a MASSIVE 35 hour week isn't going to kill you, and if it does, all the better.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

No, there is not.

hyahahahahah oh man. this is rich.

yeah go in and start yelling "discrimination" hey you might get some money out of it. many un-ethical people do. might as join them eh?

the only thing you can do is go in and talk to the managment like an adult. do not be rude, or make threates. ask them to c hange it saying why.

They will either say sorry and next schedule will be diffrent, or say you have to work the schedule they put up. the only real option (hahah dsicrimantion? bwhahhaha) you have is to either work it or find a diffrent job.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

No, there is not.

yeah go in and start yelling "discrimination" hey you might get some money out of it. many un-ethical people do. might as join them eh?

the only thing you can do is go in and talk to the managment like an adult. do not be rude, or make threates. ask them to c hange it saying why.

They will either say sorry and next schedule will be diffrent, or say you have to work the schedule they put up. the only real option (hahah dsicrimantion? bwhahhaha) you have is to either work it or find a diffrent job.

Well am I not singled out? I think so. I have other schedules showing that I was not scheduled more than 5 days, going back the length of my tenure. It also shows NO ONE else worked that many either. So to say its not discimination, I would like to know why not.

As for talking to the management, I'm already going to do that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

No, there is not.

Well am I not singled out? I think so. I have other schedules showing that I was not scheduled more than 5 days, going back the length of my tenure. It also shows NO ONE else worked that many either. So to say its not discimination, I would like to know why not.

look up discrimantion. or better yet ask a older person about it. Asking you to work a little more then others is not discrimantion. in fact i woudl think that is rather insulting.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
How old are you? Stop whining. If you have a problem with how they are scheduling you, talk to them or quit. They have every right to schedule their employees how they see fit. They may be taking advantage of the fact that you are young and won't want to/can't do anything about it, but you'll be hard pressed to prove it.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
A little lawsuit happy? You're really overreacting. Tell them you're not available to work those days and take your chance, or quit, or just do it.

I've had period in my job where I've worked 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, to get projects done. That's 100 hour weeks. You want no time for mental rest? Plus I'm salaried, meaning I make the same whether I'm working 40 hours a week or 200 hours a week.

Honestly, I think having 19 hours a day to do whatever you want with is PLENTY of time to kick back and mentally relax.

Welcome to the work world!

[edit] Oh, and there's no labor law out there to stop them. You're not the little man fighting back, you're the average joe, working the average job, to have the average life, and dealing with the average problems.

L1FE

Dec 23, 2003

No, there is not.

Maybe they want you to work more shifts because they find you more dependable than others? Or maybe they just needed an extra hand and you were randomly chosen. You can't just randomly throw around serious allegations like that without first getting some serious evidence aside from you getting scheduled an extra day for one single week. Seriously, one week isn't that bad, and you can earn kudos from an employer for going "out of your way" to help out.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The OP has a valid point, working every day sucks. His schedule is much worse than working 60 hours in 5 days, imo.

And as many have pointed out, there are laws in some states to prevent it.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Tom
The OP has a valid point, working every day sucks. His schedule is much worse than working 60 hours in 5 days, imo.

Finally someone understand what I'm saying! Shoosh!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

most laws prevent working 7 days a week and that is not the problem. he is working 6 days a week.

although it does depend on his age. By his post i can't tell if he is over 18 or not.

The mature thing would go talk to them. If he wants less hours because of school, sports etc then he needs to talk with them. many places will do there best to work whith him. but he also needs to understand that there will be times when they just can't do it and t ha the needs to either work them (he will get brownie points for it!) or quit.

threatining to sue is only going to make his life very bad.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

most laws prevent working 7 days a week and that is not the problem. he is working 6 days a week.

although it does depend on his age. By his post i can't tell if he is over 18 or not.

The mature thing would go talk to them. If he wants less hours because of school, sports etc then he needs to talk with them. many places will do there best to work whith him. but he also needs to understand that there will be times when they just can't do it and t ha the needs to either work them (he will get brownie points for it!) or quit.

threatining to sue is only going to make his life very bad.

Sorry, I lost my slave mentality about 20 years ago.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999

Pfffs, if his place of employment is on a 2 work weeks schedule, there is nothing wrong with them to set up schedule like at as long as he got 2 days back to back off in that time frame.

But damn, he is a whiner.