Labor department to apply child labor laws to farm chores

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I didn't realize it because I don't believe, as you do, that some folk don't operate on ego. Naturally, if you are an egotist you will be motivated to disagree, since it wouldn't be very flattering to your ego to think some folk are more evolved than you. And speaking of being more evolved, there can be no doubt at all that there are Democrats that are better and smarter folk then many in the middle and lower class, and to which they themselves may belong, and who could manage such lives to better effect. We make laws, for example, so the less evolved don't walk all over folk who are better than them but perhaps not physically stronger. And you are certainly enamored of the thought that you are superior to these so called superior people.

LOL! UNBELIEVEABLE! You have out done yourself.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I think a lot of it is Obama's incessant desire to have absolute control over the population. Control the food, don't let people grow/tend it themselves, and you control the population. Remember when Obama tried to do something similar with not allowing people to operate machinery on their own property without a license? This kind of control of farms is a constant drum from him. Weren't they also trying to push some bullshit about people growing their own crops as well? Trying to regulate home gardens, trying to not let the family tend to the farm, outright banning the use of machinery unless licensed - put the pieces together, it all makes perfect sense. This is what he is. A fucking dictator.

Now if the grew dog, he'd say raise a big one for me!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think a lot of it is Obama's incessant desire to have absolute control over the population. Control the food, don't let people grow/tend it themselves, and you control the population. Remember when Obama tried to do something similar with not allowing people to operate machinery on their own property without a license? This kind of control of farms is a constant drum from him. Weren't they also trying to push some bullshit about people growing their own crops as well? Trying to regulate home gardens, trying to not let the family tend to the farm, outright banning the use of machinery unless licensed - put the pieces together, it all makes perfect sense. This is what he is. A fucking dictator.

Now if the grew dog, he'd say raise a big one for me!

Oh man, one day the AI will read this thread in a nano second and pull the plug on humanity.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Growing up in farming communities I can say this will never work. The kids who grow up and work in these areas WANT to do this. You have young teenage boys and girls who have more work ethic than most deadbeats scheming the system for their next government check. I grew up working(by choice) on my grandpa's water melon and cantaloupe farm. I enjoyed earning summer spend money when I was 13 or so

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
If anybody thinks Obama or his Labor department thought this up themselves there is a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell to you very cheap.:D

This is nothing more than big corporations using the old "save the children" gimmick to gain more control and profits through government regulations.

http://forum.the-dispatch.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3225&p=19671
This seems to be a repeated attempt on our government's part to cripple and eventually shut down privately owned farms.

There is a large corporation called Monsanto, with government support, that's been gobbling up one family farm after another.

Many farmers, including my grandfather, upon harvesting would put back seeds from the harvest in a "seed bank" to plant their fields the following year. Monsanto has developed seeds that will not produce viable, or fertile seeds from their plants. So, the farmer that purchases Monsanto seeds must do so yearly at inflated prices. Also, the farmers that use Monsanto seeds are that are fertile, by law, are not allow to save seeds for the following year.

Also, Monsanto sends investigators into the country onto private property to take samples of farmer's crops. These investigators usually trespass under the pre-text that they are "surveyors". The farmers call them "seed police". These investigators are checking to make sure their patented seeds have been purchased from their company. These illegal searches are backed by our government. In case after case, a farmer's field who has not purchased Monsanto seeds are found with the plants in their fields. But, their fields butted up against fields of farmers that had purchased the patented seeds. Common knowledge of nature is that if your neighbor's field has kudzu or Johnson Grass, more than likely, it will get in your field also.

When the Monsanto investigators finds just one of their plants or seeds in the farmer's field, they sue the farmer. The odds are clearly against the farmer. Monsanto has an annual budget of $10 million dollars and a staff of 75 devoted solely to investigating and prosecuting farmers. Many farmers lose their family farm of many generations fighting the lawsuit. I read the average lawsuit against the farmer resulted in Monsanto's win of $412,000.000. Basically, they win the farmer's farm plus whatever he'll ever earn again. In the meantime, Monsanto is buying out conventional seed companies in order to monopolize their product.

Here is a couple of examples: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-4048288.HTML http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... anto200805

Here's another example of our government attempting to cripple the family farms. Last year, the Federal Department of Transportation attempted to pass a proposal to have all farm equipment classified as commercial vehicles. This would require all operators of those vehicles to have a CDL license (commercial driver's license). In North Carolina, you must be 18 years old to even apply for a learner's permit for a CDL. In many states, the age is 21. Many family farms depends on their older teenagers and young adults in the family to operate their tractors in the fields, and to get from field to field. If this law passed, he or she would have to have a CDL to cross a road from one field to another. Fortunately, the government's attempts to pass this law failed.

Now, the government wants to prohibit farmer's children helping on the farm. My two oldest grandchildren belong to the 4-H club and FFA. These organizations, supported by our schools, provide values, confidence, and leadership. The kids in these two clubs were reared on farms with good work ethics and family values. Now, the government wants to cripple and destroy basically what's left of the pioneers of our county, our farmers, who want to keep their families together, to be self supporting, and with good moral values.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an effort to gobble up more family farms for pennies on the dollar, who barley make it as is even with reduced labor costs, by big ag.

Yep. Its the corporate capture of govt that is the problem. They are trying to make it hard for small family owned farms while corporate plantations continue to use low wage immigrant labour.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an effort to gobble up more family farms for pennies on the dollar, who barley make it as is even with reduced labor costs, by big ag.

wouldn't surprise me either. but to be honest i can think of many other ways to achieve that goal then stupid laws.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This is all our worthless govt has to do? Employ more dept of labor inspectors to harass what is left of our agricultural industry?

Ask the North Koreans of all the intricate details tyranny pays attention to.

When you've control freaks plotting out every waking hour of their fellow man, and the authority to do so, leave no stone unturned.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is pure insanity. This is big corporations and big gov't, seeking to control food, destroy smaller family farms, and to further their goal of trying to control the population.

I certainly hope it doesn't pass.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
They are just trying to free up jobs for the illegals.
Just the opposite. Migrant kids are getting killed on wholesome, red-blooded American farms and the Dept of Labor is trying to stop it. The activities singled out by the proposed regs are precisely those that kids are getting killed while attempting to perform.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Just the opposite. Migrant kids are getting killed on wholesome, red-blooded American farms and the Dept of Labor is trying to stop it. The activities singled out by the proposed regs are precisely those that kids are getting killed while attempting to perform.

Yeah, i'm sure restricting the training of the 4H and Future Farmers of America is going to have a huge impact on these mythical child slave laborers.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

That's ok, but what are you going to do when they come tell you your 12 year old is no longer allowed to mow the lawn?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Ya hear all that cheering and whooping in the distance? It's all of those farm raised kids hearing that they won't have to do chores any more and they can really get serious about all those arcade games they've been missing out on.:D

I wonder what the regs will do to the Amish community?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
That's ok, but what are you going to do when they come tell you your 12 year old is no longer allowed to mow the lawn?
He'll have to hire the government mandated illegal or worse, union labor. With the latter, his 40 minute mowing job will take 36 hours. Much of that in overtime. But it's all good.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You can't articulate the nature of your observation? That sounds like truthiness to me. It has been my observation that folk see what they believe not believe what they see. I see again, motivation in this because it is explicative and makes logical sense.

It's difficult to articulate the dumb certainties (wisdom) which experience provides.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ask the North Koreans of all the intricate details tyranny pays attention to.

When you've control freaks plotting out every waking hour of their fellow man, and the authority to do so, leave no stone unturned.

LOL I was in a hurry reading this and I thought you said the North Korean Tranny.

:D

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Evidence?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Although, I agree this is over reach, the motivation is for safety. In the state I live in there were several deaths of children/young adults working on farms. I know of 2, one was a tractor rollover, and another was getting buried in a grain silo.

Due to these deaths, our own legislature has proposed and possibly passed rules similar to what the feds want to do. I need to do a little research to see if the legislation passed here.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So how do they enforce these laws? How can they inspect every farm all year round?

From my point of view a 4H program is a school. It is kind of like being an apprentice.

From another point of view if a child is slaving away on the farm every day, then maybe they should be paid for their labors. Also there are some tasks that should not be done by young teenagers, because they may be too dangerous. For instance operating heavy machinery caries dangers with it. Maybe farmers are adopting kids and turning them into slaves?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So how do they enforce these laws? How can they inspect every farm all year round?

From my point of view a 4H program is a school. It is kind of like being an apprentice.

From another point of view if a child is slaving away on the farm every day, then maybe they should be paid for their labors. Also there are some tasks that should not be done by young teenagers, because they may be too dangerous. For instance operating heavy machinery caries dangers with it. Maybe farmers are adopting kids and turning them into slaves?
The orphan trains accomplished that in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Irish potato famine.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If the Federal Govt cant afford to enforce our border laws, what good is this legislation. They only way I can see it being used is to levy fines on farmers when someone gets hurt or when the feds make that 1 raid per 10,000 farms. So if you are a republican or speak out against the government, plan on getting raided.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Well it looks like Obama pulled his head out of his ass long enough to realize this was a politically unpopular idea in an election year and the Republicans were kicking his ass with it.

Under heavy pressure from farm groups, the Obama administration said Thursday it would drop an unpopular plan to prevent children from doing hazardous work on farms owned by anyone other than their parents.

The Labor Department said it is withdrawing proposed rules that would ban children younger than 16 from using most power-driven farm equipment, including tractors. The rules also would prevent those younger than 18 from working in feed lots, grain bins and stockyards.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-04-26-19-44-56