Labor department to apply child labor laws to farm chores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sometimes the government needs to help people integrate into modern, mainstream American society.

By modern mainstream society, do you mean stop working hard, move to the city, buy a house you can't afford then complain about how the man is keeping you down?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Totally forbid farm children from doing chores??? I need to find that proposal and reread it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
By modern mainstream society, do you mean stop working hard, move to the city, buy a house you can't afford then complain about how the man is keeping you down?

Or giving up on work,then bitching about everyone else who is supporting you?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As with everything else, if folk had economic security and psychological health, they wouldn't need government to watch out for what they do to their children. So, rather than wasting time treating the symptoms of a disease, how about we treat the causes. Economic health and wisdom are the only things that can save us. Corporate farms, for example, can drive family farms under. Do we want family farms or rich corporations?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
As with everything else, if folk had economic security and psychological health, they wouldn't need government to watch out for what they do to their children. So, rather than wasting time treating the symptoms of a disease, how about we treat the causes. Economic health and wisdom are the only things that can save us. Corporate farms, for example, can drive family farms under. Do we want family farms or rich corporations?

Getting rid of rich corporations in farming means dismantling the USDA. Are you prepared to dismantle a federal welfare program?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Or giving up on work,then bitching about everyone else who is supporting you?

:thumbsup:

On second thought, I love this bill. Ausm's worst nightmare: an army of unemployable rednecks moving into the city because they never learn to work a farm, who continue listening to country music and voting Republican.

I look forward to his tiny little head exploding.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It sounds like Obama wants corporate farms employing illegal immigrants.

Hope and change, bitches!

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I was originally in disagreement based on the title, then reading the OP it seems there is an exemption for exactly what the title describes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Explanation? It's just an observation based on my experience.

You can't articulate the nature of your observation? That sounds like truthiness to me. It has been my observation that folk see what they believe not believe what they see. I see again, motivation in this because it is explicative and makes logical sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sounds good, lets me at the capital and get this process moving.

Good, we can start by providing the needy but able bodied agricultural education, tools plenty of corporate farm land, and let them feed themselves and sell for a profit.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Good, we can start by providing the needy but able bodied agricultural education, tools plenty of corporate farm land, and let them feed themselves and sell for a profit.

I thought we were dismantling welfare and not erecting a new program?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
From someone who lives in a rural area, the people proposing this are morons. The FFA programs, at least the ones around here, are incredible. People who have never lived on a farm or worked on a farm are by and large idiots when it comes to farm related activities. "That looks hard, that looks dangerous. I'm too stupid to do it, therefore kids shouldn't be allowed to do it" seems to be their logic. And, the work ethic developed by these kids is superior to the vast majority of adults I know who grew up in the city.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
:thumbsup:

On second thought, I love this bill. Ausm's worst nightmare: an army of unemployable rednecks moving into the city because they never learn to work a farm, who continue listening to country music and voting Republican.

I look forward to his tiny little head exploding.

I thought we were on the same page in regard to this bill..:(

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think it's a good regulation. After all who really cares about these kids more? Their parents, aunts and uncles and other extended family members? Or some slack jawed bureaucratic jerk-off in Washington?
:D +1

Kids that learn responsibility and self worth through achievement don't vote Democrat and thus don't grow government as much as possible. This is no more than government looking out for its own best interests, as usual.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Kids that learn responsibility and self worth through achievement don't vote Democrat and thus don't grow government as much as possible. This is no more than government looking out for its own best interests, as usual.

God damn, you hypocritical bastards are hard to love. Here I am only too happy to pay farm subsidies your hard work is actually rewarded and what does it do? Does it make you full of self worth, or full of contempt for the folk who help you. Don't tell me, I know. The reason I oppose welfare is because the bastards with one hand out begging, have a dagger in their other hand to see if they can get the arm with the bag of money. You have very strange notion of what self worth is. Hehehe But it's easier now knowing you guys have a brain defect.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
From someone who lives in a rural area, the people proposing this are morons. The FFA programs, at least the ones around here, are incredible. People who have never lived on a farm or worked on a farm are by and large idiots when it comes to farm related activities. "That looks hard, that looks dangerous. I'm too stupid to do it, therefore kids shouldn't be allowed to do it" seems to be their logic. And, the work ethic developed by these kids is superior to the vast majority of adults I know who grew up in the city.

/this

this is a bad idea.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Buying Chinese shit 'cause it's cheaper then complaining there aren't any good jobs. Demanding what everyone else owes you because you exist.

Dave Ramsey says it best: Buying stuff you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Dumb. I learned how to work on my grandparents and uncles farm plus to a 9 yr old boy diving a tractor is fun as shit. Like something out of StarWars when you're nine and wheels are 10 foot tall.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
It sounds like Obama wants corporate farms employing illegal immigrants.

Hope and change, bitches!

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an effort to gobble up more family farms for pennies on the dollar, who barley make it as is even with reduced labor costs, by big ag.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an effort to gobble up more family farms for pennies on the dollar, who barley make it as is even with reduced labor costs, by big ag.

Wah? You're telling me that more big government leads to the creation of artificial barriers to enter the market along with only serving the needs of those who can best lobby big government which naturally tends to be large private market entities with their own agendas? That's crazy talk I tell you !! We need more big government to solve the issue of corrupt/flawed big government.