LA teen surfing Internet learns he was allegedly abducted by mother

AmericasTeam

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2003
Article

"The boy spotted his own photo, taken when he was 3, on a Canadian missing children's Web site a few months ago and told a teacher about it, authorities said. The teacher contacted police, who then confirmed the story with Canadian authorities."

What an awakening.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Her Sister-in-law is defending her in that story. Is she from the father's side? If so, is the father unfit to raise him but the court made a mistake?

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
trying to raise money for her legal defense?? her and her family should be put in a cell with a broken toilet and no toilet paper

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Her Sister-in-law is defending her in that story. Is she from the father's side? If so, is the father unfit to raise him but the court made a mistake?

hey, I was thinking the exact same thing....

I guess the sister-in-law is either mother's brother's wife or sisters'husband's sister.... and not husband's sister or anyone from the "husband-side" or the "father-side" as you mentioned.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
It is unclear because she has been married 3 times.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
if both the mother and the sister-in-law share the same last name - Goudreault, then the only possible way that they are related I can think of is

1) She kept her real last name, and the sister-in-law married to her brother.

or

2) She did not keep her last name and took her first husband's, while the sister-in-law is the husband's sister.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: gwlam12
she remarried twice. who knows whose sister the sister in law is.
"They were taking her child away and she did what she had to do," Melissa Goudreault, her sister-in-law, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday from her home in Red Deer, Alberta. "The family is behind her and is trying to raise money for her legal defense."
It seems pretty obvious to me that this is the father's sister.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
at this point, wouldn't the kid be old enough to pick whether he wants to keep living with his mom or go live with his dad? or at least stay in a foster home for the remainder of the year until he turns 18 then he could pick I'm assuming.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: gwlam12
she remarried twice. who knows whose sister the sister in law is.
"They were taking her child away and she did what she had to do," Melissa Goudreault, her sister-in-law, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday from her home in Red Deer, Alberta. "The family is behind her and is trying to raise money for her legal defense."
It seems pretty obvious to me that this is the father's sister.

which brings us to the next point, why would the sister help the 'mother'? shouldn't the sister be on the 'father's'/her brother's side?

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580
at this point, wouldn't the kid be old enough to pick whether he wants to keep living with his mom or go live with his dad? or at least stay in a foster home for the remainder of the year until he turns 18 then he could pick I'm assuming.

yea, but what if the mother goes to jail? She's still probably going to be charged with child abduction no matter what the son wants.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: andylawcc
which brings us to the next point, why would the sister help the 'mother'? shouldn't the sister be on the 'father's'/her brother's side?
I can only assume that there must be something wrong with the father that makes his own family question his parenting abilities.

Anyway, IMO, this is a custody dispute, not a kidnapping or abduction. It seems that the mother has proven herself over 14 years to be a competent parent.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I always wondered why my parents cut the pictures off of the milk cartons.
Hmmm.

May 31, 2001
I can only assume that there must be something wrong with the father that makes his own family question his parenting abilities.

Anyway, IMO, this is a custody dispute, not a kidnapping or abduction. It seems that the mother has proven herself over 14 years to be a competent parent.

The sister-in-law is through her current marriage.

So kidnapping is OK as long as you're a good parent?
rolleye.gif

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

rolleye.gif
Where are you reading that? I don't see enough information in the linked article to make anything other than a wild assumption.

As for this, like I said, IMO it's not a kidnapping, it's a custody dispute gone bad. Kidnapping (once again IMO) is when a stranger steals a child. I don't agree with what she's done, but to lump it into the same word and offense that people would use (for example) to describe what happened to the Lindberg baby is to dilute the meaning of the word itself.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

rolleye.gif

Where are you getting that info from?