L4D server(s) being crazy right now?

Jabbernyx

Feb 2, 2009
Tried running a campaign or two and the servers keep randomly shoving us into VS mode half way or just a completely different campaign. Wut? :confused:

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I don't know about the campaign switching bug, but the VS switching and difficulty switching has been happening pretty regularly. It's pretty maddening.

Hopefully Valve will fix the game.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
It's usually custom servers, which shouldn't be allowed in the public server pool, but keep getting used anyway for some reason.

Valve really needs some sort of server list option in the game, and better custom filtering.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I've had similar problems like that. Start an advanced campaign... 3 minutes later a tank is there then I press tab and see that it is versus. :disgust: And lately I simply can't get a dedicated server.

L4D is a ton of fun but for how much it sold and how popular it is, I'm pretty disappointed in their updates and lack of content.

There is a server browser: type 'openserverbrowser' in the console

I've heard it doesn't really work as it should though? A lot of PC gamers don't like the matchmaking (want the classic server browser), as if it is too "console noobish" but I think it is definitely the way to go for L4D. I just wish it worked better.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx
It's usually custom servers, which shouldn't be allowed in the public server pool, but keep getting used anyway for some reason.

Valve really needs some sort of server list option in the game, and better custom filtering.

yeh I hit a public server that had low gravity and like 100 hunters attacking. Then there was a green tank in one. This is definitely the worst part of an awesome game. Valve needs to redo the whole getting into a game thing.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
I've also had issues recently where no PUG's will join a game once it has started. It has happened 2 days in a row now...

sucks because people rage quit, no one else joins the game, which leads to the rest of that team quitting.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: duragezic
I've had similar problems like that. Start an advanced campaign... 3 minutes later a tank is there then I press tab and see that it is versus. :disgust: And lately I simply can't get a dedicated server.

L4D is a ton of fun but for how much it sold and how popular it is, I'm pretty disappointed in their updates and lack of content.

There is a server browser: type 'openserverbrowser' in the console

I've heard it doesn't really work as it should though? A lot of PC gamers don't like the matchmaking (want the classic server browser), as if it is too "console noobish" but I think it is definitely the way to go for L4D. I just wish it worked better.

I think the trouble with the server browser is that you can't connect to many dedicated servers with it. There's some option that has to be enabled by the server owner to allow it that isn't on by default, and most haven't done it.