L-Methionine 1000mg supplement..weight loss??

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Has anybody tried L-Methionine? Seems to be controversial vs L-glutamine for a weight management. (Methionine deficient diets have been shown to increase metabolic rate, decrease weight and extend lifespan in rodents. A methionine deficient diet has been tested for 17 weeks in humans without adverse events and with an average weight loss of 8 kg. This study will test the ability of a low methionine diet to cause weight loss and improve the metabolic syndrome. The metabolic syndrome is driven by insulin resistance which is associated with abdominal fat, so this study hopes to reduce visceral fat, body weight and improve insulin resistance.) https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00640757

Reactions: Nicholas17Dominic

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Not sure if it's the same or similar but my sister is taking Ozempic® (semaglutide) injection. She also has thyroid issues. She is slowly losing weight but then again she still has a poor diet. The side effects she is experiencing are some foods no longer taste good to her and headaches.

"Ozempic ® (semaglutide) injection 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg is an injectable prescription medicine used: along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. to reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death in adults with type 2 diabetes with known heart disease."

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I would say that the biggest variable must be tackled first before focusing on the smaller ones.

Insulin is the first obstacle to the burning of visceral fat. It's actually pretty simple why. It inhibits lipolysis when levels are elevated. The most problematic foods that insulin release are those that contain simple carbohydrates. For, not only do they stimulate the release of insulin, they expand the appetite upon immediate contact. Easy powdered grains should be substituted out at the very least. Substitute foods could be anything with zero net carbs, or as compromise, a fruit. Restrict the times a digestible carbohydrate is eaten to one meal a day or less.

If one wants to not consume too much methionine, just allocated two days of the week to no eating or eating non-methionine containing foods. The fasting helps the fat burning.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Not sure if it's the same or similar but my sister is taking Ozempic® (semaglutide) injection. She also has thyroid issues. She is slowly losing weight but then again she still has a poor diet. The side effects she is experiencing are some foods no longer taste good to her and headaches.

"Ozempic ® (semaglutide) injection 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg is an injectable prescription medicine used: along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. to reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death in adults with type 2 diabetes with known heart disease."

I lost around 60 lbs from Ozempic for my diabetes. I am on a 1mg dose. It gives me a feeling of fullness so that I eat less. I now weigh 183 lbs @ 6'1".

Jul 27, 2020
It gives me a feeling of fullness so that I eat less.
Now that you are eating less, do you prepare special meals to enjoy the taste more, since you have to wait more before you can sink your teeth into the juicy stuff?

I keep trying different stuff. These days, I break fast with a cup of coffee mix and a bar of 45% dark chocolate. Then one cup of milk tea. Been keeping a packet of two large bran biscuits and a dark chocolate wafer piece (Loacker Lockini) in my drawer for a few days but haven't needed to eat them because the coffee+dark chocolate seems to suppress my appetite until dinner time about 9 to 11 hours later.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Now that you are eating less, do you prepare special meals to enjoy the taste more, since you have to wait more before you can sink your teeth into the juicy stuff?

I keep trying different stuff. These days, I break fast with a cup of coffee mix and a bar of 45% dark chocolate. Then one cup of milk tea. Been keeping a packet of two large bran biscuits and a dark chocolate wafer piece (Loacker Lockini) in my drawer for a few days but haven't needed to eat them because the coffee+dark chocolate seems to suppress my appetite until dinner time about 9 to 11 hours later.
I don't drink anything with caffeine in it.

I follow my diabetic diet. I make just about everything I eat myself. My food is tasty and nutritious.