L.A. Times suppressing a tape of Obama praising Rashid Khalidi??

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SecPro
The levels of idiocy and hypocrisy in this thread are bordering on the insane.

1. John McCain is an unpaid director of the IRI. He does not participate in the day to day operations of this Congressionally chartered organization. There is no comparison between his role at IRI and someone sitting at a party while a bunch of anti-Semites toast the destruction of Israel.

2. It's the very height of hypocrisy when you claim that the LATimes has every right not to, and should not release this tape but cheered wildly when newspapers released classified information that put the Bush admin. in a bad light. Just be honest, you don't want this tape released because it might reflect badly on your messiah. Just admit it.
Just admit that you can't win talking about the issues so you have to stoop to smear tactics.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SecPro
The levels of idiocy and hypocrisy in this thread are bordering on the insane.

1. John McCain is an unpaid director of the IRI. He does not participate in the day to day operations of this Congressionally chartered organization. There is no comparison between his role at IRI and someone sitting at a party while a bunch of anti-Semites toast the destruction of Israel.

2. It's the very height of hypocrisy when you claim that the LATimes has every right not to, and should not release this tape but cheered wildly when newspapers released classified information that put the Bush admin. in a bad light. Just be honest, you don't want this tape released because it might reflect badly on your messiah. Just admit it.

I heard that the tape hshow McCain presenting one of those giant sized cheques to the guy while Obama gave a standing ovation.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Rashid The Professor said it best:

No comment until this idiot wind passes.

Yet another "association" that won't stick to the Teflon Don.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The issue with the tape has NOTHING to do with McCain supporting Khalidi.

I am sure if there was as tape of McCain and Khalidi you guys would be demanding that tape be made public as well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

I am sure if there was as tape of McCain and Khalidi you guys would be demanding that tape be made public as well.

It's the same tape.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski

It's the same tape.
McCain was not at the dinner shown on the tape.

Obama appeared at a dinner where there were multiple anti-Israeli slurs presented and the LA Times wants to sit on the tape. Who are they protecting?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

It's the same tape.
McCain was not at the dinner shown on the tape.

Obama appeared at a dinner where there were multiple anti-Israeli slurs presented and the LA Times wants to sit on the tape. Who are they protecting?

McCain, his handing over the cheque would be much more embarrassing.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Khalidi did NOT work at the IRI.

He worked "Center for Palestine Research and Studies" which was given money to do some polling in the West Bank and Gaza in 1999.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
ProfJohn

Pleased cite the law, ordinance, or regulation that requires the tape to be released.

The paper has a legal and moral obligation to abide by a legal agreement with a source.

Time to put up or shut up. Explain how you desire to share someones personal property trumps the law.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
the thing is you are a terror apologist for the terror perpetrated in the name of the american people.

let's stop playing games here. the neo-cons and the military-industrial complex and their ilk are some of the biggest terrorists int he world.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
ProfJohn

Pleased cite the law, ordinance, or regulation that requires the tape to be released.

The paper has a legal and moral obligation to abide by a legal agreement with a source.

Time to put up or shut up. Explain how you desire to share someones personal property trumps the law.
Judith Miller had a moral obligation to abide by her agreement not to release the source of her information and ended up spending 12 weeks in jail for contempt of court.

I guess the first amendment only applies when it is a Republican in the cross hairs?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ProfJohn

Judith Miller had a moral obligation to abide by her agreement not to release the source of her information and ended up spending 12 weeks in jail for contempt of court.

I guess the first amendment only applies when it is a Republican in the cross hairs?

So you are the Court? Send your Deputies to retrieve the Tape then. Once you see McCain handing over the cheque, will you then deny us the right to see the tape?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
ProfJohn

How lame. Judith Miller had information regarding an ongoing criminal investigation into a breach of national security, remember? She refused to answer questions in front of a Federal Grand Jury, just in case you've forgotten...

So, uhh, bring on the Grand Jury, and you might have some equivalency. In the meanwhile, you've got bumpkus, as usual...

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
ProfJohn

That was about refusing to release information in the investigation of a criminal offense. :roll:

So maybe if you can convince a court that the tape contains the commission of a crime you might have a leg to stand on.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
ProfJohn

Do you even know what the first amendment is? It in no way protects people from compelled testimony in a criminal case. That is shockingly ignorant.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Nope, show both to the public and let the public decide.

God I love the sound of desperation.......hahahaaa

Desperation ... blah, blah, blah. If we truly had everything on the table with both candidates, Obama's support would be down to 20%, or lower.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
T2T III

Please share your astounding knowledge with us. Share all you know and "put it on the table".

You've got nothing but guesses and maybes. Couldn't make a case for a kangaroo court.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This topic is so BS. If there was anything to this, don't you think the GOP's armies of investigators and moles would have dug something up by now? Has the GOP suddenly become incompetent?

The sole reason to raise this issue at this late stage is to raise doubts among elderly Jewish voters in Florida, in an attempt to get some soft Obama supporters to switch to get that very important swing state.

I wish John McCain and his attack dog would spend just one solid day this campaign talking about nothing but real issues. Then, just maybe, they would persuade some people to vote FOR them.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: T2T III
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Nope, show both to the public and let the public decide.

God I love the sound of desperation.......hahahaaa

Desperation ... blah, blah, blah. If we truly had everything on the table with both candidates, Obama's support would be down to 20%, or lower.

Since we're down to guessing and pulling things out of our asses now, my vote is that if everything were on the table then Cheney, Bush, and Palin would all be Impeached, and McCain would be in jail for felonies relating to the S&L deal with Keating.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
McCain was for Khalidi before he was against him

Like everything else they've tried to slam Obama with, the Repubs are forgetting that it can be quickly researched and the counter argument about Professor Rashid Khalidi is out there, like the fact McCain's group funded him and obviously even McCain (like Obama) sees value in his views, even if he doens't agree with all of them.

McCain's "base" might not hear it, but they're not listening anyway, at least the ones that think Obama is a Marxist, Muslim, who is for the destruction of Israel.

I did expect better from the National Review, but just like the Wall Street Journal Op. Ed pages, we're seeing who the "thinkers" in this 21st century conservative movement really are.

The anti Arab claptrap the McCain camp keeps trotting out, though poisonous and appealing to the Republican "base," will continue to backfire, particularly as it is unaccompanied by any positive programs or vision, and based on so little fact. Such tactics insult the intelligence of voters, and condescendingly assumes they are racist, creating almost a reverse "Bradley effect."