Kuwait foils smuggling of chemical/bio weapons from IRAQ!!

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Kuwait foils smuggling of chemicals, bio warheads from Iraq
Associated Press
Kuwait City, October 2
Kuwaiti security authorities have foiled an attempt to smuggle $60 million worth of chemical weapons and biological warheads from Iraq to an unnamed European country, a Kuwaiti newspaper said on Wednesday.

The pro-Government Al-Siyassah, quoting an unnamed security source, said the suspects had been watched by security since they arrived in Kuwait and were arrested "in due time." It did not say when or how the smugglers entered Kuwait or when they were arrested.

The paper said the smugglers might have had accomplices inside Kuwait. It said Interior Minister Sheik Nawwaf Al Ahmed Al Sabah would hand over the smuggled weapons to an FBI agent at a news conference, but did not say when.

Government officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

Iraqi Interior Minister Nouri Al-Badran met on Tuesday with Sheik Nawwaf and discussed cooperation between the two countries in security matters. His visit is the first by an Iraqi interior minister to Kuwait since 1990.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_399454,00050004.htm

If this is true....then there is your WMDs.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Kuwait foils smuggling of chemicals, bio warheads from Iraq
Associated Press
Kuwait City, October 2
Kuwaiti security authorities have foiled an attempt to smuggle $60 million worth of chemical weapons and biological warheads from Iraq to an unnamed European country, a Kuwaiti newspaper said on Wednesday.

The pro-Government Al-Siyassah, quoting an unnamed security source, said the suspects had been watched by security since they arrived in Kuwait and were arrested "in due time." It did not say when or how the smugglers entered Kuwait or when they were arrested.

The paper said the smugglers might have had accomplices inside Kuwait. It said Interior Minister Sheik Nawwaf Al Ahmed Al Sabah would hand over the smuggled weapons to an FBI agent at a news conference, but did not say when.

Government officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

Iraqi Interior Minister Nouri Al-Badran met on Tuesday with Sheik Nawwaf and discussed cooperation between the two countries in security matters. His visit is the first by an Iraqi interior minister to Kuwait since 1990.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_399454,00050004.htm

If this is true....then there is your WMDs.

Are you implying Saddam may have...*boggle*...MOVED the WMD????? That makes no sense. If he had them, he'd have left them in his bedroom or a building with the letters 'WMD' spray painted in giant red letters on the roof...everybody knows that.

:)

I'll hold of further speculation until we get another source on this. Just checked ap.org and didn't see anything about it. Wouldn't doubt this happened though.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Could also be a fake story that the Bush Admin planted to take the heat off of the "Traitor in the WhiteHouse story" ?? *not an accusation.. just a possibility.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: dahunan
Could also be a fake story that the Bush Admin planted to take the heat off of the "Traitor in the WhiteHouse story" ?? *not an accusation.. just a possibility.

Certainly a more plausible explanation I'd say.

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Excellent timing!
WMD hunter to brief US politicians
By Justin Webb
BBC Washington correspondent

Former United Nations arms inspector David Kay, who has been leading America's hunt for Iraqi weapons, is to brief US politicians on what he has found.

The impression given by those close to the investigation is that Mr Kay's team has found evidence of some suspicious activity - scientific equipment with no obvious legitimate use, documents suggesting plans to lengthen the range of missiles.

But, barring last-minute surprises, it seems certain that the former UN weapons inspector will have to tell the intelligence committees of both houses of Congress on Thursday that as of this moment, he has found no weapons.

Mr Kay is reported to believe that Saddam Hussein might have been bluffing, pretending to possess them in an attempt to fend off invasion.

The White House will stress that these are interim findings - they do not settle the issue of whether or not weapons of mass destruction existed before the war.

But after three months of work, it is fair to say that they are not the findings the Bush administration wanted or expected to see.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Chadder007, thank you for the nature of your first observation; "If this is true. . ." I started following the Iraq news quite closely last year and have two observations (opinions), (1) The U.S. news industry isn't worth spit. and (2) Most papers have large axes to grind. It will be interesting to see if this story is picked up anywhere else. But I must say, how did they know it was $60 millon worth, price them out at WMDs R Us? I also wonder, is $60 million worth a big package (a ton or more) or a little package? If this story develops, it will be interesting to find out.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Kind of interesting that they tried to smuggle weapons through Kuwait, not really a country known for its friendly ties with Iraq. you would figure they would have tried a handful of other places first. I'm very skepticle, will have to wait to hear from some other sources.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
Chadder007, thank you for the nature of your first observation; "If this is true. . ." I started following the Iraq news quite closely last year and have two observations (opinions), (1) The U.S. news industry isn't worth spit. and (2) Most papers have large axes to grind. It will be interesting to see if this story is picked up anywhere else. But I must say, how did they know it was $60 millon worth, price them out at WMDs R Us? I also wonder, is $60 million worth a big package (a ton or more) or a little package? If this story develops, it will be interesting to find out.
I believe it's based on the latest prices from the big Baathist (sp?) Going Out of Business Sale. :)

Agreed, it will be interesting to see if there's substance to the story. Our track record for "breaking news" out of that region is pretty poor.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I second the notion that US News sources really suck when it comes to reporting about these controversial topics.. I think they are afraid of the Patriot Act ;)

Seriously though.. Overseas media will report everything good or bad about what is really going on..

IIRC there are only a few sources who were willing to report on the attempt reopening of a oil pipeline to Israel from Iraq... *roll* why won't the US media report on it???? AFRAID of what??

Jan 12, 2003
Wow, lots of people in this thread have to 'wait until the story unfolds' and wait for a reliable sorce, yet Rowe leaked information and should go to jail....I think I'll wait until BOTH stories unfold before I pass judgement. ...funny how this works, though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's enough of that reasoning John, weren't you aware that BOOOOOB TOLD YOU SO?!?!? :D

While this story more-or-less coincides with how I've felt about the WMD, I do find it a tad fishy that it's Kuwait. Granted, it's seaport and all, but Kuwait? There's fellow Baathists in Syria, sympathizers in Jordan (who helped Iraq even during the first war) but I digress, we don't really know if this story is legit or not yet...

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: kage69
That's enough of that reasoning John, weren't you aware that BOOOOOB TOLD YOU SO?!?!? :D

While this story more-or-less coincides with how I've felt about the WMD, I do find it a tad fishy that it's Kuwait. Granted, it's seaport and all, but Kuwait? There's fellow Baathists in Syria, sympathizers in Jordan (who helped Iraq even during the first war) but I digress, we don't really know if this story is legit or not yet...

I don't buy it at face value either, but just thought it was funny that people need to see the facts before formulating a position....unlike every other issue that is popular with the hait-baiters...

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: kage69

Why do business where people are watching for your every move? Many a crime are committed right where you wouldn't expect, right under your nose.

Waiting for more credible reports here as well. If they dare.
It is listed as an Associated Press release on that page.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
For what it's worth Arabic Newspaper.com is the most comprehensive source of articles on the Muslim world that I know of. They do not do their own reporting but rather collect links to stories around the world and there can be up to 50 or 60 links to a wide variety of articles. It is updated on a daily basis and, for all I know, may be updated throughout the day. These articles cover the spectrum of news and opinion about the Middle East and a few other Muslim countries. There is no news today (10/2/03) of any attempt to smuggle biological and chemical weapons through Kuwait. Unfortunately their site is not searchable but it seems like this would have been a bigger story than just the Hindustani Times. Another Arabic news site that I use also lacks any news of an attempt to smuggle WMD.

Jan 12, 2003

For what it's worth Arabic Newspaper.com is the most comprehensive source of articles on the Muslim world that I know of. They do not do their own reporting but rather collect links to stories around the world and there can be up to 50 or 60 links to a wide variety of articles.

Ahhh, thanks...our version of the New York Times.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
John Galt (and I've got to wonder how many people know who John Galt is, that was a while ago in my opinion). I'm curious as to why Clinton spelled "program" "programme" as you have it in your signature quote.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
John Galt (and I've got to wonder how many people know who John Galt is, that was a while ago in my opinion). I'm curious as to why Clinton spelled "program" "programme" as you have it in your signature quote.

Good question. ;)

BTW - Any more info on this WMD story?