KT266A or wait for nForce??

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I'm debating upgrading to one of the kt266a boards when they are released (probably the epox or abit) or waiting another month or so for nForce to be released. I've seen some of the benches for the kt266a and they look really good. Since I already have a high quality sound card and Video card is the nForce gonna be worth the extra wait time and money??

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Wait til Sept. end. By then we will have nForce benchamarks, and boards will start coming out. And then make a decision.

P.S. If u go KT266A, IMO Abit KR7A-RAID will be the board to have IMHO

Jul 1, 2000
I have been waiting for months :) - THe end of September / begoinnig of October should bring all the new KT266A'S and nForce mobo's.

Patience, grasshopper....

tazdevl

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2000
KT266A boards will hit retail next week. AxionTech already has the Epox board listed and priced ($114).

nForce reference boards should be @ hardware review sites next week as well, probably by Monday given the fact that they are going to announce the GeForce 3 Titanium tomorrow. Headlines will most likely be "Nvidia launches most powerful motherboard and video combo in the market". nForce chipsets are already being mass shipped to the motherboard manufacturers... 2 weeks until they hit retail.

I'd wait 2 weeks because if the nForce is as good as it sounds... you might be kicking yourself for buying the KT66A. Sound and video aside (I don't think any enthusiast will use the integrated video core), the hardware prefetch, dual channel memory and hypertransport (as it relates to NIC) could be worthwhile. I've got an SBLive Platinum... if nForce sound is good, I'm ditching it.

Geforcekj

Banned
Apr 19, 2001
ditching sb live! platnum for 128bit sound wtf?

If you disable on board sound and video what is that nforce will have? nforce is a low cost all-in-one solution m/b will cost less than m/b + sound + video. KT266A is gonna be the way to go if you already have sound and/or video.

AGodspeed

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001
If you disable on board sound and video what is that nforce will have?

How about data prefetch (DASP), dual channel memory, and a HyperTransport I/O link. Heck, I'd sell the SB Live Plat. and put the money towards an nForce because of it's integrated APU. As long as nForce is equal to the KT266A in nearly all types of benchmarks that can be run, but it beats the hell out of KT266A in gaming, then I'm in.

I just hope ASUS is smart enough to put a stable and reliable board out first.

tazdevl

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2000
The audio in the nForce is supposed to surpass even the Audigy in terms of quality and technology. It has real time 5.1 dolby digital processing which nothing else out there has. In addition, by utlizing hypertransport to connect the disparate components and dual channel memory... it'll kick the hell out of most of the audio solutions out there.

Why? Dual memory channels mean that the CPU and other components do not have to share memory bandwidth. The primary channel is for the CPU, secondary is for sound, NIC, video etc... think about that for a moment. Especially if your secondary channel is 256MB. Not only that but because the audio is embedded into the board, NO PCI SLOT, whooohooo. How do you think that affects bandwidth and CPU utilization? No more 33 MHZ.

geforce you should read up a bit more on the audio portion of the nForce. It'll blow just about everything else out of the water. Here's an article from PC IGN which is the most recent bit of information about the nForce. Most of the other articles are from 3 months ago and not as accurate given developments in technology, pricing, etc.. It also has some benches, provided by nVidia so take them with a grain of salt.

tazdevl

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2000
Plenty relaxed, I do Yoga :D. But it makes more sense to make an informed opinion than an uninformed one. Read the article and all will be revealed.

tazdevl

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2000
It's using AMI bios... so I"d imagine it's pretty comprehensive. Especially if you're talking about the Cruch12/420D chipset which is targeted @ the enthusiasts. Given the number of overlocking options with most of the other boards on the market, it's safe to assume that what you see in the KT266/KT266A/AMD760/Ali boards will also be on the nForce boards.