Question KrisFix Germany video on 6800 and 6900 cards dying while running Adrenaline 22.11.2

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Hey guys I ran across his video tonight and was wondering if anybody has encountered this issue with the latest whql adrenaline driver? I have an AIB 6900 XT and run it but haven't seen anything weird apart from the normal stuff like the card randomly drops signal to my 2nd UW monitor. He's got over 50 cards as of his video and all died running the new driver irrespective of their individual use cases which were all different.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Of course, once I send off my "dead" RX 5700 XT cards to a trusted friend for re-pasting, I'm going to ask for a visual inspection of the dies. If any of them ARE cracked, then we can re-open this can of worms.

Reason being, so far, I've read that one of these recent drivers allows one to disable thermal control, and that's something that the Nicehash miner software does by default.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Nvidia has had their own serious problems yet their 4090 fat potatoes are selling out. Something is very wrong with the masses and AMD can't fix that at a fundamental level. But they better start doing some clever marketing and deals with the game studios to keep themselves relevant. I would hate to live in an Nvidia only world.
It's like your last two posts were written by different people my friend. o_O As to an Nvidia only market; you keep pimping ARC the way you have been, and fighting the good fight. :p

The clever marketing idea is pointless. Nvidia has been doing it the entire century. Rollo and friends were in here pushing Nvidia and bashing AMD ages ago. All as part of an Nvidia compensated program through a 3rd party. Pushing the narrative their handlers gave them. The rest was ad lib. Nothing has changed, other than that it has become taboo to call people out for it. That is what I call Nvidia hush money at work my friend.

Seriously, if Intel doesn't bite down on their mouthpiece and keep swinging round after round? Both AMD and them, will be fighting for peanuts or throwing in the towel. I have mentioned before that Nvidia captured the Zoomers hearts and minds, as I anecdotally referenced via my son and his friends. It is only getting worse, not better.

Reactions: KompuKare
Jul 27, 2020
It's like your last two posts were written by different people my friend. o_O
I love playing with hardware. Have a Zotac 3090 and a NIB ASUS LC 6800 XT (that I will use if I can't sell it for a bit of profit and get the RX 7800). I'm also being seduced by the Acer A770 16GB every time I see it but it isn't available here and I don't want to pay a hefty import tax.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Nvidia has had their own serious problems yet their 4090 fat potatoes are selling out. Something is very wrong with the masses and AMD can't fix that at a fundamental level. But they better start doing some clever marketing and deals with the game studios to keep themselves relevant. I would hate to live in an Nvidia only world.
The 4090, like the 3090 and 3090Ti, 2080Ti, 1080Ti, etc have been the fastest and most powerful GPU of each generation. I truly believe that there is a large user base that will buy an Nvidia GPU regardless of features, value, and performance strictly because of this. If AMD were to ever challenge and beat the top tier Nvidia offering, and have enough inventory, they could flip the narrative, at least for that generation. Especially If they released that card BEFORE Nvidia released their top tier card that generation. I'm just not sure they have the people or the drive to do it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I love playing with hardware. Have a Zotac 3090 and a NIB ASUS LC 6800 XT (that I will use if I can't sell it for a bit of profit and get the RX 7800). I'm also being seduced by the Acer A770 16GB every time I see it but it isn't available here and I don't want to pay a hefty import tax.
Yeah? Rollo owned ATI cards. I traded him my dustbuster 5800 Ultra for one. ;) I know you are not like that. I am merely pointing out that owning the rival hardware is the original schtick used by shills to try to deflect accusations of bias.

And none of that explains white knighting the guy that is the subject of the thread. I can't tell you how to feel, or give you a moral and ethical compass. Speaking for myself, I will not excuse dirtbag behavior like that. I do grudgingly concede it is highly effective, and is serving him well. He rang the bell, knowing many of those that heard it, were already conditioned to salivate.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Maybe a “real” conclusion to this thread:

Interesting. Of course, won’t change anyone’s perspective on the underlying subject…AMD drivers, which was the initial scapegoat, again.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
AMD was scapegoated with allegedly "bad drivers" so much that people destroyed the GPU market themselves. Now AMD is so weak in the GPU market, there is no competition and Nvidia does whatever they want. Including DLSS3 only for RTX 40 GPUs because they are a monopoly and theft like this is possible then. Nvidia is very comparable to the old Intel that destroyed the CPU market with utter domination and forced overpriced quad cores on us.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
AMD was scapegoated with allegedly "bad drivers" so much that people destroyed the GPU market themselves. Now AMD is so weak in the GPU market, there is no competition and Nvidia does whatever they want. Including DLSS3 only for RTX 40 GPUs because they are a monopoly and theft like this is possible then. Nvidia is very comparable to the old Intel that destroyed the CPU market with utter domination and forced overpriced quad cores on us.

To be fair there are issues that AMD seems to never fix like the black screen bug and multi-monitor power/clocking issues that have persisted since GCN came out (HD 5870 had none of these issues). I can experience those issues today if I plug in a 7870, 290, 460 or 5500XT with the latest supported drivers just like I could years ago. Some do spread doom & they're wrong but so are the red knights who ignore issues and call anyone a shill etc for deigning to besmirch AMD's name.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
To be fair there are issues that AMD seems to never fix like the black screen bug and multi-monitor power/clocking issues that have persisted since GCN came out (HD 5870 had none of these issues). I can experience those issues today if I plug in a 7870, 290, 460 or 5500XT with the latest supported drivers just like I could years ago. Some do spread doom & they're wrong but so are the red knights who ignore issues and call anyone a shill etc for deigning to besmirch AMD's name.
The high power consumption bug was already fixed a long time ago with RDNA 2 drivers. Of course people don't care and keep retelling it, like here. HD 5870 etc (I owned 5850 and 5970) had this issue btw - VRAM clocks high + higher idle power consumption in multi monitor. No, the GCN and later drivers are actually better, I didn't use it myself though. All I know is, that I never had any problems with the drivers of 2009 and 3 years later.

People simply hate Radeon, unless AMD improves their marketing vastly, nothing will change. Worst case, they don't even know what Radeon is.