Kremlin says it hopes US wouldn't release Trump-Putin calls

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just imagine the comedic gold mine this would produce....hahaaaa

MOSCOW (AP) — Russia voiced hope Friday that the U.S. administration wouldn't publish private conversations between the two nations' presidents, like it did with Ukraine.
The rough transcript of Trump's call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy released by the White House Wednesday shows that Trump urged Ukraine to "look into" his Democratic political rival Joe Biden. The July 25 call is now the focus of a U.S. impeachment probe.
Asked if Moscow is worried that the White House could similarly publish transcripts of Trump's calls with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said that "we would like to hope that it wouldn't come to that in our relations, which are already troubled by a lot of problems."
Speaking in a conference call with reporters, he emphasized that the publication of the Trump-Zelenskiy call is an internal U.S. issue, but added that it was "quite unusual" to release a confidential call between leaders.
"The materials related to conversations between heads of states are usually classified according to normal international practice," he said.
The publication of the call, in which the presidents made critical comments about German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron, has drawn acerbic comments from other Russian officials and lawmakers.
"We are waiting for the party to continue," said Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova. "Let them publish transcripts of conversations between NATO allies. It would also be useful to publish minutes of closed meetings at the CIA, the FBI and the Pentagon. Put it all on air!"
Zakharova also scoffed at Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's decision to open an impeachment inquiry based on the call.
"Is it the Democrats' job to make a laughing stock of the United States?" she said. "It's exactly what Ms. Pelosi has done to Congress, the White House and other state institutions."
In the past, Putin and his officials similarly derided U.S. special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Kremlin interference in the 2016 presidential election, casting it as a failure and shrugging off Mueller's exposure of evidence of Russian meddling in the vote.
Mueller found that there was not enough evidence to establish a conspiracy between Trump's campaign and Russia, but he charged 12 Russian military intelligence officers with breaking into Democratic Party computers and the email accounts of officials with Hillary Clinton's campaign.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Nothing that comes out of the Kremlin is by accident.
Nothing that comes out of the Kremlin has only its "face value".
Pieces are being moved.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I foresee the Intelligence Committee (or at least a duly authorized representative) spending quite a bit of a quality time with the system mentioned in the whistleblower report and its audit logs.

Feb 4, 2009
I foresee the Intelligence Committee (or at least a duly authorized representative) spending quite a bit of a quality time with the system mentioned in the whistleblower report and its audit logs.

Probably members as in
1 D 1 R
or
1 D 1 R 1 I

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i think Russia is just poking the bear here, they know exactly what Trump said to Putin. if it is released, there will just be more chaos and division in our political system. again, Trump is a win/win situation for Russia.

Reactions: WelshBloke

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
i think Russia is just poking the bear here, they know exactly what Trump said to Putin. if it is released, there will just be more chaos and division in our political system. again, Trump is a win/win situation for Russia.
and you forgot one more thing -- enough comedic fodder to last an eternity!!!

Reactions: WelshBloke

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't think any country would want top level diplomatic conversations leaked, there's a reason why leaders say some things in public at a summit and other things in private via phone call. That's just common sense. I guess if you thought it was funny when the "Fuck the EU" diplomatic calls were leaked by Russia during the Obama years then you might find it funny again.

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think any country would want top level diplomatic conversations leaked, there's a reason why leaders say some things in public at a summit and other things in private via phone call. That's just common sense. I guess if you thought it was funny when the "Fuck the EU" diplomatic calls were leaked by Russia during the Obama years then you might find it funny again.

I agree it’s just funny to hear it from Russia

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

but but obama.

Fuck off chud

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's really a lot simpler than that. If a POTUS commits a crime and/or abuse of power during a telephone conversation, then that conversation needs to be released, at least to a closed door committee and, ultimately if appropriate, to the general public, because this is a democracy. That is why the Russians don't get it. Because their public has no right to know.

If OTOH there is no crime, then the best practice is obviously to keep the conversation locked up. One would hope this is the case in the vast majority of calls. But this is new. This is Trump.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

I have a feeling it's more than a "Fuck the EU" call.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
This should read - Just imagine all the crimes this would produce
I'm guessing about the same number as the Ukraine call did. Which happens to be the same amount of times that facts enter in your and the rest of the #Progressheviks' arguments.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'm guessing about the same number as the Ukraine call did. Which happens to be the same amount of times that facts enter in your and the rest of the #Progressheviks' arguments.
So you agree that the Ukraine call laid out several impeachable crimes!! Thanks!!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This reads like Putin to Trump: "It would be very unfortunate for you if you release the phone calls. Very unfortunate."

I think this was a very public threat related to the pee tapes. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

What's going to happen to you when all this shit crashes down on you and there's nothing more that you can do to reject the flaming pile of shit that was once the MAGA world that you existed only in your head?