KOTOR 2 new official patch

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
Surprised I did not see a thread about this. Old game but still a good one.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208580/announcements/detail/145589580847766181

Introducing and updated KOTOR II for Mac, Linux, and Windows!
JULY 21 - ASPYR-BLAIR
Aspyr in partnership with Disney Interactive and LucasArts is proud to announce STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™ is now available on Mac and LInux, along with a massive update to all 3 platforms.

New features include:

• 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
• Steam Cloud saves
• Native widescreen resolution support
• Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
• Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation
3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
• Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day

Oh...and we added a "Force Speed Effects" option in the menu ;)

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Heh, this is pretty awesome! Nice to see them patch the game to support WS resolutions, negating the need for fan-made patches that can cause UI problems. Hopefully this makes the game more stable in modern Windows versions, too. Adding a Steam Workshop is a nice boon too, since the KOTOR games are very easily moddable and had a thriving mod community back in the day. The best part of which was, of course, the Restored Content mod, so it's definitely nice to see it get a nod as supported in the announcement. Best of all, this update is free to everyone who already owns KOTOR 2. Can't get much better than that.

Aspyr Media is the developer that ported the first KOTOR to iOS and Android. I've played the Android version on my Asus Zenfone 2, it's a pretty good port job. It makes me wonder, though -- are they working on an iOS/Android version of KOTOR 2? And will they possibly bring the same native WS support to the PC version of KOTOR? Both would be pretty nice, as far as I can tell the first KOTOR has not been officially patched, so fans still have to rely on fan made WS patches.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
CHECK YOUR SETTINGS!

Everything reverted to defaults.

This is bad for those of us who changed the QuickSave and QuickLoad keys.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I wonder if this means they are ramping up for a KOTOR 3?

I doubt it. The Old Republic and the "Revan" novel kind of make it impossible for a KOTOR 3 to exist. The story's already been told in other media.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It's a little weird that KOTOR2 got this patch while 1 is leftout.

Few things would make me quite as happy than a KOTOR3 running on the frostbyte 3 engine. If Bioware could move mass effect to a completely different galaxy to keep the story viable, they can work around the roadblocks presented by some books/TOR. Especially now that Disney owns the rights and all EU stuff is non-canon at this point.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is there a way to add my Kotor2 purchase to Steam? I've got the CDs but I can't find any code to use to activate on Steam. I guess I would have to go about getting unlocked content the other way around?

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
I've got the CDs but I can't find any code to use to activate on Steam. QUOTE]

There is no code for the game. You have to leave disk #1 in your system to play the game.

I installed the game a few days ago and added it to Steam -- but adding it just created shortcuts, not the normal range of menu choices.

I tried to download the patch using the "Workshop" tab, but have been unsuccessful so far. I installed on a disk with Win 10, so that possibly could have caused the problem. I will try again in the next few days with Win 8.1.

Aug 11, 2008
Might be easier to just repurchase the game on Steam. I got it on a sale for 5 bucks, but I think the regular price is less than 10.

I downloaded the game (Steam version) and the patch from Steam and it installed the mod automatically. I just restarted the game with the added content mod. I could never get the mod to work either with my CD version, but it is a snap with the steam version.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Protip: I think this is one of those games where you can just enter the code on Steam and it will add the thing to your account, and download.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Protip: I think this is one of those games where you can just enter the code on Steam and it will add the thing to your account, and download.

Except the game box / CDs / paperwork for this game I bought some years ago don't include a CD key/code of any sort that I can see.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
It's a little weird that KOTOR2 got this patch while 1 is leftout.

Few things would make me quite as happy than a KOTOR3 running on the frostbyte 3 engine. If Bioware could move mass effect to a completely different galaxy to keep the story viable, they can work around the roadblocks presented by some books/TOR. Especially now that Disney owns the rights and all EU stuff is non-canon at this point.

Well of course they could just make a completely new story and slap the name "Knights of the Old Republic 3" on it, but I think half the appeal of a KOTOR 3 is the thought of continuing the story where KOTOR 2 left off.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Kotor 2 is still broken while Kotor 1 basically works. I just wish they'd scale the UI with the resolution.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Kotor 2 is still broken while Kotor 1 basically works. I just wish they'd scale the UI with the resolution.

I re-played the Steam version on Win 7 64-bit last year and didn't have any problens. I used the Sith Lords restoration mod this time. Tip: the mod works better if you're playing a dark side character since much of the restored bits are HK-47-related.

It's been awhile but I might have needed to set the resolution low to keep the UI text legible.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I doubt it. The Old Republic and the "Revan" novel kind of make it impossible for a KOTOR 3 to exist. The story's already been told in other media.

KOTOR 1 and 2 had foreshadowing of a massive war with the Empire. A war with actual Sith by blood (the emperor) and not just followers of an ideal. SWTOR in contrast starts off with the war already over. Been there done that. The game is set during a boring cold war instead.

Why not make KOTOR 3 a single player experience about the first conflict?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Lots of quests and material left out entirely. Little breaks in the quests they left in.

Well that makes the game sort of incomplete, but that's not quite the same as "broken". KOTOR 2 does "basically work". Also, the Restored Content Mod exists to fix almost everything that got left out.

KOTOR 1 and 2 had foreshadowing of a massive war with the Empire. A war with actual Sith by blood (the emperor) and not just followers of an ideal. SWTOR in contrast starts off with the war already over. Been there done that. The game is set during a boring cold war instead.

Why not make KOTOR 3 a single player experience about the first conflict?

Because thanks to TOR, we already know how that all ends. There wouldn't be much suspense to that story if they just retold it as KOTOR 3.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
IMO / IIRC, there was a very tentative connection between KOTOR1 and 2 (being Revan), which could just as easily have been absent without any detriment to KOTOR2.

I personally couldn't care less if a new game was made with the values of KOTOR1 in mind (a single player RPG with a decent plot and oodles of character depth/development), in the same era as the other 'old republic' games or not. The KOTOR games weren't magically good because the character Revan was somehow involved. From what I know of Revan's character from the first two games, his character was pretty one-dimensional chronologically until KOTOR1's twist and in KOTOR2 that character is merely a prop, a name.

I love the KOTOR games, IMO they set the standard to games makers for character depth and development, saying "that's how it's supposed to be done!" (I've been given the impression that the Mass Effect games are pretty good in this respect as well, I haven't tried them yet), particularly KOTOR1, though both 1 & 2 presents a much more "grown up" portrayal of the Star Wars universe.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
IMO / IIRC, there was a very tentative connection between KOTOR1 and 2 (being Revan), which could just as easily have been absent without any detriment to KOTOR2.

I personally couldn't care less if a new game was made with the values of KOTOR1 in mind (a single player RPG with a decent plot and oodles of character depth/development), in the same era as the other 'old republic' games or not. The KOTOR games weren't magically good because the character Revan was somehow involved. From what I know of Revan's character from the first two games, his character was pretty one-dimensional chronologically until KOTOR1's twist and in KOTOR2 that character is merely a prop, a name.

I love the KOTOR games, IMO they set the standard to games makers for character depth and development, saying "that's how it's supposed to be done!" (I've been given the impression that the Mass Effect games are pretty good in this respect as well, I haven't tried them yet), particularly KOTOR1, though both 1 & 2 presents a much more "grown up" portrayal of the Star Wars universe.

KOTOR 2 was very much about the aftermath of the Jedi Civil War and the lingering effects of Revan's actions (both as a Sith Lord and as the player in KOTOR). I actually think KOTOR 2 did a lot more to give Revan's character some dimension than KOTOR 1 did itself.

I would of course enjoy if they made another Star Wars RPG in the style of the KOTOR games. But KOTOR 2 left off on something of a "To be continued" type ending, so a KOTOR 3 would be expected to pick up where KOTOR 2 left off. Thanks to other media like books and TOR, that's not really possible. The only point of naming a potential Star Wars RPG KOTOR 3 is name recognition. I'd just rather they leave the KOTOR name alone than exploit it, like they're doing with Battlefront...

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
In case anyone's interested in a thorough plot walk-through and some detailed commentary about the infamous cut content:

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

It's actually a pretty entertaining read (probably my third favorite on LP Archive behind Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal (HILARIOUS) and the Ultima 6-7 LPs). It is very LONG and THOROUGH, however. I'd never played KOTOR II, so it was a nice way to experience the game without actually playing it (liked the story of KOTOR I, but I'm kinda over the D&D gameplay).