Question kon boot on Win8 machine works but creates TEMP profile only.....

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So....Mother in Law's laptop. She forgets her password. I can login using Kon Boot and that's great but I noticed that Win8 mentioned....."You've been given a temporary profile and cannot change files". Sure enough....doesn't appear I can change/reset password.

I supposed I could get whatever she wants off (Any easy way to just burn all files onto something?) and then just have the laptop reset itself to day 1 again and all's well but surprised no mention of this on Kon Boot's site. (EDIT ----- IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE ACCESS TO PROGRAMS ONLY.....NO FILES SO COULDN'T EVEN PULL FILES OFF)

(Only unique error for Win8 is that you have to type *something* in the box to get it to login which is no biggie but no other mention of my problem and I'm sure it can't be unique to this laptop.....uber-common Best Buy HP notebook) ????

TIA

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
So can't you create a temporary administrator account on the laptop, then use that to either copy her data files and create a new account, or reset her password?

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
UPDATE: So 2nd time around there's still a lot blacked out (the account is missing things like desktop wallpaper, certain options etc.) .....BUT.....2nd try Kon Boot acted a little bit different and this time I was able to create a new user (adminstrator level of course) and am just waiting for it to completely boot up & then I'm gonna try & change her old profile's password.

Wish me luck!! (P.S. Still wouldn't let me change hers....gave me a chance this time as I was able to get *into* that menu option but then error'd out. Will see using another admin level profile)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Can't you use a Linux boot USB to get the files off, then re-format the laptop, and copy them back?

Hmmm....maybe...although I'm not a linux guy so I'd probably need a tutorial. Still kinda disappointed that Kon Boot isn't doing what it says it can (mind you they've updated even to Win10 but they haven't indicated my problem which I think they should at least concede to being a possibility in their FAQ). But....I am glad that I could create a new profile for her (It also includes all of her programs which is cool). She may not even need or care about what files are still there because the reason she forgot her PW is because the thing sat for a while since she's become a "tablet" user.

Gonna keep playing/trying (Kon Boot incldes a few versions too so gonna keep at it on that acct til I give p) ;)

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If this is an ongoing issue, once you get it straightened out this time you need to create a password reset disk for her using a USB flash drive:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
If this is an ongoing issue, once you get it straightened out this time you need to create a password reset disk for her using a USB flash drive:

Indeed! I will....either that or ETCH the password into the palmrest of her laptop! LOL!!!

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Or just not use a password at all. Have the computer boot directly to the desktop.

Considering today's tech, and considering what my MIL does w/ her laptop....100%. (If thieves want a template for unicorns over rainbows with the prettiest happy birthday font they've ever seen.....it's all theirs!) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER