Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I didn't see anything here in the politics a new section I figured this was news

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I hate these fucking stories .. it mentions her daughter, did she die too? A father can die ... the children though.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Reminds me of Colin Mcrae. So sad.

Kobe grew up a few miles from my old stomping grounds in the Philly suburbs...RIP!..Thoughts are with his family!

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Damm, that just sucks, one of the NBA's true superstars for a long time and losing the 13yr old daughter too, damm.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Lotta old timers saying this remind them of Roberto Clemente. A great struck down in his prime. Still had a lot left to give the game even after retirement, nevermind his beautiful girls to coach. Heartbroken

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Crazy :( I don't mean this in a condemnation kind of way, but I read it was just a helicopter trip across town to some school or something? Is that really the best use of a helicopter vs just taking a limo or a couple of Escalades or whatever? I mean dang, flying is overall really safe, but when you're talking personal helos and light aircraft, it feels like the things are constantly dropping from the sky.

Poor family :( losing the dad and one of the daughters is awful, not to mention the (seven?) other individuals who perished.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
"Based on hours alone, helicopters are 85 times more dangerous than driving. ..."

And then 27 times deadlier by miles traveled.

I guess I answered my own question, what a damn tragedy for everyone involved.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
They were just up here in a small town in central Washington, he and his daughter were supporting a local basketball player.

Reactions: Arkaign

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
"Based on hours alone, helicopters are 85 times more dangerous than driving. ..."

I've done about a hundred helicopter flights over my career. In every one of those flights, the first question was, "Is this flight necessary?" The second question was, "Is each flyer necessary to the mission?" I got pulled off one flight because the boss decided the mission could be completed w/o me. I was already suited and seated. I was bummed because I like flying but I couldn't argue with the rationale.

Reactions: Muse and Arkaign

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I've done about a hundred helicopter flights over my career. In every one of those flights, the first question was, "Is this flight necessary?" The second question was, "Is each flyer necessary to the mission?" I got pulled off one flight because the boss decided the mission could be completed w/o me. I was already suited and seated. I was bummed because I like flying but I couldn't argue with the rationale.

Yeah, I was just speaking to my wife's brother in law about this to get some perspective from someone who has a pilots license (small planes). He mentioned how a few of his instructor's were wary of helicopters, since you have limited options if something goes wrong. Helicopters don't glide for long distances and are usually flown fairly low, so it limits your choice of landing areas, reaction time/troubleshooting.

I’m hearing on the news that Kobe was known to get around California in a helicopter very often.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Lot's of famous people have died in helicopters. I live near a helipad and while it's cool to watch it also scares the shit out of me.

• Wow

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Lot's of famous people have died in helicopters. I live near a helipad and while it's cool to watch it also scares the shit out of me.

You're right.

That's just the famous ones.

• Wow

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

I wonder why that is. You don't hear much about helicopter accidents.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I wonder why that is. You don't hear much about helicopter accidents.
They usually don't kill very many people at one time (at least in the US where civilian helicopters tend to be small). I was reading about some crashes in Asia that killed 40+ people.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe"