Know any Console Gamers, that are also PC owner/users, but are "PC-stupid"? Or act that way?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Speaking of my other topic on PCs, that led me to ponder about two of my (ex?) friends, both of whom own PCs, and one of them is a semi-avid PC gamer, the other claims to want to get into it.

But the one who is an avid PC-gamer, never calls me to ask how to copy+paste files, but doesn't seem to know what a PSU or PCI-E power cable is, when I ask him about the current configuration of his PC.

The other one, has called me in the past about installing and un-installing programs, and copy+pasting files, but has also built two whole PCs on his own, under my direction.

I'm starting to wonder, if consoles, people that stick with consoles, rather than "graduate" to PC gaming, are doing so because they are:
1) Afraid of PCs.
2) Afraid of learning about PCs.
3) Afraid of appearing knowledgeable about PCs.
4) Afraid of (learning how to) building PCs.

Like, they want the "intellectually-easy-way-out" Plug in power, HDMI, pick up controller and press START. Viola, instant immersion.

Edit: I mean, using Windows, even Windows 10, can be a sort of drudgery, but OTOH, the types of feedbacks and animations, almost make using it like a video game unto itself.

Edit: Perhaps instead of saying "PC-stupid", I should have indicated that they are console "enthusiasts", that have NO DESIRE to become "PC enthusiasts". (I could call them, "stupid dirty console peasants", but that might be mean.)

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It is just a matter of exposure, experience and interest. Some people don't have knowledge of PC hardware but can work in the OS without problems. I have had Computer Science PhDs at my work (enterprise software development) that have had the most boneheaded questions/mistakes due to misunderstanding of hardware. And I lose track of the number of people that have had issues connecting laptops to conference room projectors.

IMO building a PC is easier than navigating some of the more complex tasks/configurations in an OS. It is just sticking part A into part B.

Nov 20, 2009
I'm not PC-stupid by any means, but I went the other way, PC to consoles. Why? Because I had a lot more friends that didn't want to get caught up in the huge expense as they saw it for PC gaming compared to the relatively lower cost of console gaming. With graphics cards now costing more than next gen top of the line consoles, it becomes a thing of economics and the law of opportunity costs.

Feb 4, 2009
Really it is likely a mixed thing as in:
What I have works for my needs
I have friends that game on xbox or whatever
I don't have time/money to buy a PC and learn whatever

Deep down we all want comfort and we are all pretty lazy when we have enough comfort.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm not PC-stupid by any means, but I went the other way, PC to consoles. Why? Because I had a lot more friends that didn't want to get caught up in the huge expense as they saw it for PC gaming compared to the relatively lower cost of console gaming. With graphics cards now costing more than next gen top of the line consoles, it becomes a thing of economics and the law of opportunity costs.

You are dead to me console peasant.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
As people get older their brain starts to calcify and their IQ goes down and eventually they become the drooling, mouth breathing console troglodytes they use to vilify.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always kind of find it funny how some people are actually afraid of computers, like, actual afraid, they're scared they are going to press something and do something bad. But then, I go back to when I was super new to computers, and I kind of felt the same way, so I see where those people are coming from. Something about the unknown I guess and knowing that it's an expensive piece of equipment. I remember watching someone back in the day reloading windows 3.11 and it looked like voodoo magic to me, just seeing all this dos text and seeing him write commands and stuff. It's like "woah this guy is a genius". Reality is, it was just like anything else, he just followed instructions.

I remember my first time reinstalling windows 98, I felt the same way, kind of scared that something goes wrong but at the end I felt so accomplished. It was just an unknown part of the computer to me. Now days it's just 2nd nature to do stuff like that. Reloading an OS, or installing a program, writing code etc. I also remember my first time "coding" using edit.com application in dos, I felt like a hacker lol. And by "coding" I mean html. I started to have a lot of fun when I learned about real coding like C++ though.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Meh. Most people don't care about the computer itself, but what it does for them. That goes for computers, cars, whatever you might be an enthusiast of. You don't have to know what is inside the box to use it. Or even know more complex stuff. I just a lot of people just see choice as more problems that they have to deal with. I can understand it though.

What kills me though is people who actively refuse to learn basics tasks. Like if you have to show someone multiple times how to uninstall a program or enter a password, or whatever.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What kills me though is people who actively refuse to learn basics tasks. Like if you have to show someone multiple times how to uninstall a program or enter a password, or whatever.
That's exactly what I was talking about...

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Yah, I have a mother-in-law who I repeatedly have to show how to change inputs on her TV. Some people's brains turn off when it comes to tech. I've tried nothing and its not working! I sometimes wonder if those people manage to get through life with zero critical thinking ability.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm not PC-stupid at all but I haven't gamed on a PC in 10+ years. I've also bought pretty much every console at launch since PS2 other than Wii-U. Oh and I have 4 arcade games as well.

I'm not even really sure what the OP is asking though. Is he saying that the only reason people don't game on PC is because they are too stupid to?

If so that makes absolutely no sense and I don't even know why one would think that. I don't game on PC because there are on games I want to play on PC. If there were then I would game on PC.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is he saying that the only reason people don't game on PC is because they are too stupid to?
No, but I'm saying that those that own both, and tend towards using their consoles, seem to be the same sort of folk that refuse to put in any intellectual effort ("critical thinking") to dealing with the PC and its eventual issues, down to basic things like copying files, because they live in their own cozy console world, that does everything for them, so they don't have engage their "thinker", except to solve gaming puzzles.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Most of my friends who game on PC don't know much about them, some of them only game on PC too. I game on consoles and PCs and end up fixing my friends issues with their gaming PCs and helping them with their builds.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
No, but I'm saying that those that own both, and tend towards using their consoles, seem to be the same sort of folk that refuse to put in any intellectual effort ("critical thinking") to dealing with the PC and its eventual issues, down to basic things like copying files, because they live in their own cozy console world, that does everything for them, so they don't have engage their "thinker", except to solve gaming puzzles.
Not true. I was big into PC back when I was younger but still greatly preferred console gaming. And I was pretty proficient with PC since I grew up with it starting with MS DOS 3.31 and 80286. Compared to back then, pretty much everything today is plug in and play.

Nov 20, 2009
Actually, in the end days of gaming for my friends and I, we (well, mostly they) concluded they had gotten too old to compete with the kiddies. What I hate was that the game publishers took tactical games and turned them into run & gun games for those f-ing kiddies and they did this after you bought the game. Camper? That's correct. It is called a tactic that apparently the kiddies could get past and so they complained their whining hearts out until the publishers considered them more important and changed it for their favor.

Seriously, what good is it being a sniper in a FPS game and not being allowed to remain stationary for ten seconds? We went from playing 2-3 times a week to once every 2-3 months until we ended it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I lean towards consoles for the reason I said above. The have the games I like to play.

They also "just work" and you know that what you are seeing on your screen looks exactly like what anybody else playing the game looks like. Everyone is playing with pretty much the same controls. There is no tinkering. There are no specific hardware issues.

As people get older they have less time to play games. Console gaming simply is "easier" and takes less time to get into. Plus it's much easier to just relax on your couch or something and put a controller in your hand rather than be at a desk with a keyboard and mouse. Most adults with white collar jobs are at a desk all day at work and the last thing they wanna do is come home and sit at a desk.

I think you are looking way too much into this.

Nov 20, 2009
I don't dislike PC gaming. I just don't know enough people into PC gaming playing games I might be interested in to justify the cost. And like purbeast0 said, white collar people already spend a lot of time at a desk and trying to relax by spending more hours at the desk is a killer as you get older.