Knockoff Controllers

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Looking for a wired Xbox360 controller for PC gaming. The authentic MS controller is $27. An eBay knockoff is only $11. Are these eBay specials any good?

I have an authentic Xbox360 wireless setup but the force feedback isn't working so I want to go wired. Play mostly driving games like Dirt Rally and Project Cars and pinball like FX2 and Pinball Arcade.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Looking for a wired Xbox360 controller for PC gaming. The authentic MS controller is $27. An eBay knockoff is only $11. Are these eBay specials any good?

I have an authentic Xbox360 wireless setup but the force feedback isn't working so I want to go wired. Play mostly driving games like Dirt Rally and Project Cars and pinball like FX2 and Pinball Arcade.

Man, its been a loong time since i've been on ebay - I didn't know there were reviews.

It's been awhile since i've bought knock off controllers, but the last GameStop XBOX 360 controller I paid for ... just sucked. In particular, the triggers were terrabad.

If you're strapped for cash, you might be better off going on Craigslist and finding a used, 1st party controller.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I used to use wired headset and xbox 360 controller.

I had an earlier xbox 360 wired controller, and it's cable had to be 15 feet. It was ridiculous.

Upgrading wireless for both has been fantastic.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I used to use wired headset and xbox 360 controller.

I had an earlier xbox 360 wired controller, and it's cable had to be 15 feet. It was ridiculous.

Upgrading wireless for both has been fantastic.

The force feedback has never worked with the Xbox 360 wireless controller on the PC. Worked fine on the Xbox.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I noticed that the rumble never worked before too. I always thought it was a driver problem.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Look at the product reviews on eBay, no one seems too happy. I'd say just pay the $27, wasn't too long ago they went for $50.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
the xbox 360 controller has excellent build quality. I like it more than the xbox one controller, the ps3 controller, and various pc controllers I've tried or owned. I have a 360 controller, and don't even own an xbox 360. Purchased it for console ports.

It has a good heft to it, and the buttons all have appropriate feel. I like the trigger feel much more than the xbox one triggers. The 360 triggers are still holding up fine, whereas my ps3 controllers probably need new springs. The 360 controller seems to be much more durable than other controllers I've owned.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
the xbox 360 controller has excellent build quality. I like it more than the xbox one controller, the ps3 controller, and various pc controllers I've tried or owned. I have a 360 controller, and don't even own an xbox 360. Purchased it for console ports.

It has a good heft to it, and the buttons all have appropriate feel. I like the trigger feel much more than the xbox one triggers. The 360 triggers are still holding up fine, whereas my ps3 controllers probably need new springs. The 360 controller seems to be much more durable than other controllers I've owned.

I will disagree because the new Xbox one design currently available is a lot better than the first ones and I prefer it to the 360 controller by a mile now. At first I didn't but that changed. The elite is even better but it is very expensive.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I was playing Dirt Rally last night with my wireless XBOX 360 controller, and I was getting forcefeedback.

It wasn't tremendous, but it was definitely there.

1. Retail packaging XBOX 360 wireless controller
2. Some knock-off receiver for the PC I got off Amazon

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
1st party or bust imo.

Doesn't really have to be OEM, but life is too short to waste time with shitty controllers. There are a few okay 3rd party ones but you have to be careful and the ebay cheapies..... f that.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Doesn't really have to be OEM, but life is too short to waste time with shitty controllers. There are a few okay 3rd party ones but you have to be careful and the ebay cheapies..... f that.

Agreed. I've had a Logitech brand 360 knock-off for 8 years or so, and I still like it better than the genuine 360 controllers from Microsoft. If it's from a known good brand at making peripherals, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Plus it has a few cool features the OEM ones don't, so some might argue it is better.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
eBay knockoff is only $11[/URL]. Are these eBay specials any good?

My experience is that they work okay at first but die really quick. Normally it is the analog sticks that give out first, they just start to become less and less accurate and start to drift. You can compensate for this in software by setting your dead zone larger, but that also means your controller becomes less accurate. Eventually they just get so bad they are unusable. Average time mine as lasted is about 6 months. Overall I found it cheaper to by a OEM controller that will last me a few years.

I didn't know they still made the wired controllers.

My Xbox360 and HTPC (which I also game on) sit next to each other in my entertainment center. I have never been able to get my wireless controllers to work on my PC, it always tries to connect to the Xbox, even to the point of turning it on when it is off. It just became easier to get wired controllers with USB extension cables.
If anyone knows how to do this I would be grateful.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
The force feedback has never worked with the Xbox 360 wireless controller on the PC. Worked fine on the Xbox.

My Xbox 360 wireless controller rumble works on the PC. I have it rumble when playing Rocketleague after every goal.

W10 64bit but I am pretty sure that it works when I had W7 as well.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
My experience is that they work okay at first but die really quick. Normally it is the analog sticks that give out first, they just start to become less and less accurate and start to drift. You can compensate for this in software by setting your dead zone larger, but that also means your controller becomes less accurate. Eventually they just get so bad they are unusable. Average time mine as lasted is about 6 months. Overall I found it cheaper to by a OEM controller that will last me a few years.

My Xbox360 and HTPC (which I also game on) sit next to each other in my entertainment center. I have never been able to get my wireless controllers to work on my PC, it always tries to connect to the Xbox, even to the point of turning it on when it is off. It just became easier to get wired controllers with USB extension cables.
If anyone knows how to do this I would be grateful.

The driver for the Xbox wireless dongle doesn't detect correctly in Windows which is funny because they're both MS products but true. You have to go into device manager and tell the computer what the dongle actually is.

From MS:

Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows

On Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows, you can use Device Manager to help troubleshoot problems with your controller, see whether the correct items are listed, and to make sure there are no conflicts.

Note A conflict is marked by a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

To use Device Manager, follow these steps:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-help

Select Start, then Run, then type sysdm.cpl, and then select OK.
On the Hardware tab, select Device Manager.
When the controller is successfully installed, you see three entries in Device Manager. There should be two entries under Human Interface Devices:
HID-compliant game controller
USB Human Interface Device
Additionally, there should be a third entry in under Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class:
Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
If you see yellow exclamation points next to any of these entries, there's a problem with the installation. If there's a problem for either of the entries under Human Interface Devices, first verify that the problem is caused by the controller by unplugging it. If a hardware conflict with the controller was causing the problem, the yellow exclamation point will no longer appear after the controller is unplugged.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I was playing Dirt Rally last night with my wireless XBOX 360 controller, and I was getting forcefeedback.

It wasn't tremendous, but it was definitely there.

1. Retail packaging XBOX 360 wireless controller
2. Some knock-off receiver for the PC I got off Amazon

Genuine Microsoft wireless dongle and Xbox 360 controller, no problems in Device Manager but no rumble/force feedback. Don't know what the deal is.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I use the Xbox Accessories app on W10 to customize vibration along with the paddles. I usually turn down the vibration as I find it overkill in a lot of games.