Knives are too sharp and filing them down is solution to soaring violent crime, judge says

Is this a good idea

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
:D

I’d imagine a near zero chance of this ever passing. I don’t live there though and know the political climate so who knows. Seems nuts though to me. I don’t have a gun nor care about them, but I do own some nice kitchen knives. If anybody tried to touch my Shun Premier Damascus steel chefs knife it’s have to be over my dead body...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ng-solution-soaring-violent-crime-judge-says/

A judge has proposed a nationwide programme to file down the points of kitchen knives as a solution to the country’s soaring knife crime epidemic.

Last week in his valedictory address, retiring Luton Crown Court Judge Nic Madge spoke of his concern that carrying a knife had become routine in some circles and called on the Government to ban the sale of large pointed kitchen knives.

He said laws designed to reduce the availability of weapons to young would-be offenders had had “almost no effect”, since the vast majority had merely taken knives from a cutlery drawer.

He asked: “But why we do need eight-inch or ten-inch kitchen knives with points?

“Butchers and fishmongers do, but how often, if at all, does a domestic chef use the point of an eight-inch or ten-inch knife? Rarely, if at all."

"Acknowledging that any blade could cause injury, the judge pointed out “slash wounds are rarely fatal.”

So, he said: “I would urge all those with any role in relation to knives - manufacturers, shops, the police, local authorities, the government - to consider preventing the sale of long pointed knives, except in rare, defined, circumstances, and replacing such knives with rounded ends.

"It might even be that the police could organise a programme whereby the owners of kitchen knives, which have been properly and lawfully bought for culinary purposes, could be taken somewhere to be modified, with the points being ground down into rounded ends," he said.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
B003B66YKA-hammered.jpg

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
It's a weird idea and a bit non-sensical but it raises the question of why knifes need a sharp point for piercing? In the modern age most knives could be a rectangle with a sharp edge right?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It's a weird idea and a bit non-sensical but it raises the question of why knifes need a sharp point for piercing? In the modern age most knives could be a rectangle with a sharp edge right?

I use mine in a rocking motion when cutting certain things like herbs. Rolling it on the curve. And useful with a utility/pairing knife to get into small places.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Try paring and coring with no point. Not happening.

In my considered opinion after all is weighed carefully I suggest these people fuck off.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm in London right now, and the only stabbing over done is to the girl in my bed.

At best I would think they could ban carrying knives. Knife shapes are not arbitrary.

It's interesting here. I see almost no officers walking around. All seem to be in cars. It feels like there are a lot less police around than what I'm used to.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It feels like there are a lot less police around than what I'm used to.

Most of the police you are used to are out there generating revenue not fighting crime. I’d guess in London the cops looking at the populace as dollar signs isn’t as big of an issue.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
My family has a set of really old, really dull knives that are useless on a tough piece of meat. I could slash at myself and do no harm. But being dull won't change a thing with regards to the fatality of stabbing / thrusting with it. It's still a deadly weapon if used as such.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Most of the police you are used to are out there generating revenue not fighting crime. I’d guess in London the cops looking at the populace as dollar signs isn’t as big of an issue.

The police here also do not look like they are ready for military action either.

There are a lot of neat things here. Some good and some bad. I do feel safe in must areas.

Also, pudding is what that call dessert. I thought they just really loved pudding. Turned my world upside down when I think about "bring me some figgy pudding". Thought it was pudding made from figs.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Knife killings are on the rise? Time to ban knives! Think of the kids! Go after Pier 1 Imports for allowing pointy knives to thrive!

Shit...but what about forks???? I mean...that can put 3 or 4 holes in someone at THE SAME TIME!

smh..this world is so over.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
If they ban knives or force you to dull them, then it will be ice picks and screw drivers.

Sometimes I wonder if this is all just a plan by the Russians to disarm us so much, that they come in and take over our cities with a single board and nail. :)
idnyysy.jpg

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Oh, I have a couple of those and are the sharpest kitchen knives I have, carbon steel. Heaven help anyone who were to attack me while having it in my hand.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
"Judge finds that people are too violent, suggests law to stop people from being violent."

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That looks great for filleting fish.

It's a vegetable slicer but yet it can filet and I will use it for anything I wish to slice. There are videos with Martin Yan slicing a cucumber that illustrates what can be done. It's quite thin and being carbon steel I use Renaissance Wax to protect it from corrosion. I'm finicky about edges and it's only one level removed in sharpness from a professionally honed straight razor, which the judge seems to not understand isn't pointed either.

The point being, if you excuse the pun, knives have evolved over millenia into shapes that fulfill one function and that is to cut into things. I can't use that shape knife for many things because it would be a square peg for a round hole.

If we're talking killing, you will find weapons through the ages that are edged weapons but not designed to thrust.

The judge is displaying ignorance to play to the fearful.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Eventually these forward thinkers are going to come to the conclusion that it is largely men causing violent crime. Wide sweeping hormone management, similar to how we are able to vaccinate children, is probably in the future to reduce criminality in males.