kmart direct deposit paychecks

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I'm an hourly associate for the K-Mart corporation and have been working there for just over a year now. Today they just announced that we, as hourly associates, now have the option of direct deposit available to us. I find the timing ironic given the company's trouble and was wondering if i'd be making a mistake signing up for this. As much as i'd like the hassle of not going to the bank, i start to question whether or not using direct deposit gives the company one more reason to play around with our money (although i've never been screwed myself) and possibly use lines such as "...your money SHOULD be in your account...it must be the computers that are taking a long time..."

i dunno. help

-=bmacd=-

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Not sure how KMart works, but in a mega company like that, the checks are probably cut from somplace OTHER than where you are worked and the mailed to the store. I've been in situations before where the checks never left the payroll center, or they got lost in transit, or they just forgot to cut you a check ect, and you were screwed for a couple days.

In all DD applications that I've seen, the money is there actually the day before you are supposed to get paid. After the trial run is done, it's pretty much a hands off, and nearly impossible to screw up process.

In all my experience with it, it's actually a safer, and more reliable system than having a check handed to you.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've had it at both my current and previous jobs and it's a great convenience. I don't think they'll use it to screw you, if they even can. I know where I work, instead of getting a pay check on payday, I get a stub that indicates how much was deposited to my account, and if I'm worried about it, I can easily call the bank and confirm.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
i've been doing direct deposit here for about a year. never had a problem. the money is garanteed to be there on a certain day. that is the agreement you sign with the company. i haven't been to the bank in over six months.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I worked for a major restaurant chain and I used direct deposit.. yes, it's more convenient but having the security of depositing the check yourself is worth more. Plus, you never know what's gonna happen if they screw something up.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
at kmart, we religiously get the checks on monday afternoon every other week via Fed-ex and are handed the checks on thursday on the presumption of cashing/depositing them on friday. My bank (comerica) takes the check on thursday at any time, morning or night. I love my local branch, however, lately, there's been some debate whether or not they'd accept kmart checks without a three day clearance. Luckily, i've never been a victim of the grace period, but our loss prevention guy and a couple other associates have gotten screwed themselves.

I dunno...i'm still kinda weary of this, even as much as i'd like to enroll.

-=bmacd=-

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
A company the size of K-mart will save literally ten's of thousands of dollars if all its employees would use direct deposit...you might think of using it as doing your part to help keep them afloat....I've never worked anywhere that had direct deposit and not used it...get used to it..eventually currency will just be credits issued to you and verified by the UPC symbol on your forehead anyways

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I use direct deposit from WallyWorld, never had any problems. A lot more convenient too, don't have to wait to go to the bank to get my check cashed.

GooberPHX420

Banned
Jan 13, 2002
I have a friend who works Jewelry here in our local UBER SUPER DUPER KMART. He actually likes his job and also gets paid a whopping $7 an hour (large pay for KMART!) he doesnt use direct deposit. he always kills like 20 mins out of our friday to wait in line and deposit the check at night. do you guys get paid weekly too?

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Direct deposit is safer and more convenient than getting a regular check. They will not pull the "computers are slow" joke on you... when you have something direct deposited it is in your account within 5 minutes or so.