Klipsch RW-12d - Home Theater Subwoofer - $299.99 Shipped

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by reallyscrued, Jan 19, 2013.

1. reallyscrued

reallyscrued Platinum Member

$300 for probably the best rated budget subwoofer. It typically goes for $350 on Newegg and is listed as discontinued on Klipsch's website so who knows how long these will be available.

Going to replace my Bic f12 with this to round out my budget Home Theater listed in sig. Thought the rest of you bargain hunters might find it useful.

Enjoy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780078

2. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Looks like it typically goes for $499 on Newegg. If so, this is a steal, even though it's been on short sales here and there in the last couple of years.

[​IMG]

3. reallyscrued

4. EliteRetard

EliteRetard Diamond Member

Lots of reviews saying this thing is junk...very bad build quality and it can't stay plugged in (must unplug after every use?!) Whats up with the stereo input in the back? I thought subs just had a single coax cable type input? Never seen anything like this before. And wheres the port? Is this thing not vented, or is it on the bottom or something? Whats the weird buttons/screen on the top for? How does it compare to something like the BIC F12? I hear that's supposed to be one of (if not the) best budget sub? Is this louder or or have better quality bass or more accurate sound perhaps?

I've been attracted by these supposed super insane audio clearance deals. Last time for some speakers that were worth over $9000!!! For just $25. Is this sub also really worth OVER $9000!!! I'm a huge fan of value, and I've been wanting a better sound system...so if these can't be beat by anything 2-3x the cost then maybe its worth the risk buying online (would suck to get stuck shipping this thing all over the country for constant quality problems).

5. JimKiler

JimKiler Platinum Member

Build quality seems fine and this thing is loud and booming! You definitely want it on depth for EQ mode. I had my bro in law buy one and i think it is fine but i would want something tighter sounding when i upgrade. But my Klipsh lower end sub is no where near at tight as the 8" klipsh i had years ago.

This model shows as discontinued on klipsh's website but Newegg seems to have been selling it with frequent sales over the last year or two.

6. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

These are great subs, pretty much the best for the money at $300. Evidently they are building them exclusively for newegg. They have been listed as discontinued forever but newegg keeps selling them. Unless they just keep finding warehouses full of them they are still making them. When I built my system I would have bought these but I had to cap my sub budget at $200.

7. JimKiler

JimKiler Platinum Member

oh yeah, there is a auto on feature so i am not sure why someone online is saying you have to turn it on and off.

8. reallyscrued

Most of your questions would be answered by doing a little research.

Use either RCA for single line sub input. Dual RCA option is nifty for some people who are using analog outputs from soundcards (2.1 or 4.1 system) so it's better to have both than to not. Actually only having 1 RCA in is a cost cutting measure = fewer components and connectors/wiring.

The Port is located below the Klipsch logo and the tube extends at a 45 degree angle upward into the unit. This allows it to be a longer tube rather than aiming it perpendicularly from the inside/out.

What's the weird buttons for? Won't dignify that.

Don't know about the 'staying plugged in' thing. I'm definitely keeping mine plugged in since it has a 2 year warranty on the amp. Klipsch is known for crossshipping just the broken components if problems arise. Tons of owners seem to do fine without unplugging it after each use.

My only concerns were a dislodged port tube, but it appears anyone with a little technical knowledge (probably 95% of the people on this forum) will be able to take care of that by following the guides starting on page 5 of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420999/klipsch-rw-12d-subwoofer-only-299-save-70

I'll receive the sub on Tuesday, so I'll do a quick comparison between it and the Bic F12 and let you know what I find.

#8 reallyscrued, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  9. EliteRetard

EliteRetard Diamond Member

I don't understand...I've never seen anything that had stereo output for a sub. Do you split the output somehow?

So you don't know what the weird screen/button thing is either...
    The quality is appalling...quite horrific in fact based on the photos I was seeing. That thing is as bad or worse than my dirt cheap Logitech sub. I don't like "boomy" I want a more accurate bass. I don't want a FUDddd when it should be a THUD. No shielding, no padding, problems with amps shorting out, terrible build quality, and sounds like it may use a lower quality "boomy" driver. How could this have ever been a $500 sub then?! Even at $300 from what I'm reading it looks no better than a budget $100 sub. This probably isn't my cup of tea then...or perhaps quality of goods today is just utter shit. I'll do a little more research, but if this is whats really considered a good value then I probably will never afford anything of decent quality.

10. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

It's a digital user interface. Power, volume, whatever other settings the thing offers. Is it really that hard to figure that out?

11. Macgyversite

Macgyversite Senior member

I have 2 of these. They are decent quality. I have no clue what the guys above are bashing.

Now one thing that keeps the boominess down if your room propagates it is to add stuffing. One of my subs had some the other had none. I stuffed them fairly well according to how a ported enclosure should be stuffed. It made a huge difference.

I agree with the depth setting. Plus fiddle with the crossover and such.

2 Subs like this is INSANE.

12. reallyscrued

You're definitely right. Your Logitech sub is wayyy better in build quality than this piece of junk. I suggest you pat yourself on the back and initiate feelings of superiority immediately over the poor saps who got suckered into buying this.

As such, surely you don't want to continue visiting this thread as it would be a complete waste of your time.

To the rest of you poor suckers who got one though, I'd like to hear your takes on it.

13. reallyscrued

Could you please describe how you stuffed your sub or link to an article/guide that outlines how one should? The general consensus on AVS is that the driver in this unit is great while the box built for it and the thin-gauged wiring are holding it back.

I'll test it stock first; then add stuffing and reinforce/smooth out the port tube to see if I notice any changes. Apparently there are brackets and premade pilot holes to add bracing to the interior of the box as well but looks like they were never utilized in production.

14. JimKiler

JimKiler Platinum Member

I am interested in reading more about stuffing it as well. I used to do that with car subs but that would be in place of a larger sub box, for home theater i would assume the sub is optimal the way the manufacturer has it...on the other hand maybe it will make it a tighter sound.

I am wondering if you stuff the port or push stuffing into the enclosure where it seems you would need it to be.

15. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

you are living up to your username

many subs have stereo inputs. my older klipsch 10 inch, the epik legend most HSUs do. hell the SVS PB12 had 6 RCA jacks on it
    They all also have wire inputs. i beleive the older SVSs did as well. anyway its quite common and not a bad thing at all, it so you can hook it up to a receiver without a dedicated Sub/LFE output channel

the buttons on the top are how you controll power/gain settings. pretty simple concepts.

#15 Anubis, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. Macgyversite

Macgyversite Senior member

Here is something from AVS

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303071/question-regarding-stuffing-a-ported-subwoofer

Some more.......

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?200124-Stuffing-vented-boxes

http://www.xtant.com/archives/html/techsupport/enclosures.cfm

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/faq.htm

I should have made it clearer as to what and how I stuffed. I lined (Spray glue) the cabinets with heavy thick felt to dampen resonances and added some poly-fill to help as well. Careful so as not to get it near the port. Took around an hour for each sub. Very easy and well worth it. You can argue that I changed the internal volume etc etc. I dont care. They sound better.

AVS seems to like the subs for the money. I do to. Some guys here dont and like to TROLL.

#16 Macgyversite, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  17. 123werty

123werty Junior Member

18. reallyscrued

Indeed.

Got mine a few days ago but I'm unable to test it out for a week or so with my home theater setup.

Came double boxed, the port seems firmly attached, and it powers up and plays fine if I connect my laptop headphone out to it.

Can't wait to try it out with movies.

19. Spike

Spike Diamond Member

Probably a dumb question but how does this compare to the Polk PSW10? I know the Polk is an entry level ~$100 sub so I'm assuming the Klipsch is better but I'm curious how much better? I put together a "poor" mans setup for my gaming PC with a Yamaha RX-V373, Energy Micro 5's, and the Polk PSW10. While I love the setup I'm curious if it would be worth it to grab something like this (when it's on sale again) and move the Polk downstairs.

Either way my new setup is quite the improvement from my previous Creative and Logitech 5.1 setups, especially with the sound blaster z installed and I can get 5.1 DD via optical.

20. fo0k

fo0k Member

It would be difficult to put together a 12" sub of that size for under $300. Between the driver, amp, wood, and veneer, plus the hours you put into it, you'd be looking at a higher price tag unless you already have wood and an amp laying around. You could go with an inexpensive horn loaded option from someone like billfitzmaurice which would blow anything under the $1000 range out of the water, but that requires you have a lot of space and somewhat decent woodworking skills.

in short, while i wouldn't buy it, i feel this is an okay sub for the money.

21. fo0k

fo0k Member

not trying to troll, but "poor men" shouldn't be buying pre built subs if performance is a priority

22. reallyscrued

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322626/polk-audio-psw10

When in doubt, ask AVS. For the money, they say the Bic f12 is a better option for a little bit more, and its much better performance for your budget.