Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
hi guys. i've got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers setup and i'm having issues with the left speaker. these speakers are the ones where i have to plug in the wire/jack to the pack of them.

the problem with the left speaker is that if i don't have the jack plugged in just the right way, the sound comes out crackling... almost as if the connection wasn't good. does anyone know what could be causing this and how i could fix it?

thanks!

Reactions: shortylickens

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Could be dust. You could try blowing it out with some compressed air or researching what kind of connection cleaning solution (contact cleaner?) might work best. I've never used one, so I don't know what to recommend.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I bought some DeOxit Contact Cleaner (like this) for mine. The Promedias were notorious for problems with dirty volumes POTs. This article explains how to clean them. Does your speaker crackle or cut out when adjusting the volume knob? If so, then cleaning the volume POTs should do the trick.

If it only does it when you adjust the speaker-wire plug, then you might have to clean that like YOyoYO suggested. I would recommend switching speakers or speaker wires. The problem could be with that speaker, that speaker wire, or the speaker wire's connection to the amp. By swapping the speaker wires between the two speakers and leaving them connected to the same spot in the amp, you'll determine whether the problem's with the speaker or with the speaker wire/amp connection. That should help determine what needs to be fixed.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
So he has to disconnect the volume amp stuff on the left speaker. Go easy on it. I believe if you brake it your warranty is gone. My dads room has ProMedia 4.1 and hes had issues with no sound from left speaker or right and what have you. Soo its not a permanent brake. Nothing is wrong with your ProMedia just as the gurus said, clean with compressed air etc. gl

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
thanks guys. i tried switching the two wires from the back of the speakers and it looks like it does it both ways. i also noticed that the right speaker does it a little too, just not as much as the left.

i will try try the compressed air tomorrow since i have some on hand. thanks for everyone's help.

Sep 7, 2009
These things are plagued with issues... I've been really lucky and have had no major problems although they're starting top *pop* louder and louder when turned on/off..

FWIW there's a connector that looks sorta like an svideo plug on the sub, mine acts up there and I have to clean with contact cleaner.

The speaker wire "plugs" are annoying, replacing them has been on my back burner for awhile (IIRC they're mono 1/8" plugs, I should be able to make replacements...)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea if its the connector its easy,soldering is all you need or screw terminals and a bit of ugly hacking.
pots are always a problem on such cheap speakers it seems. i kept it minimized by using soundcard volume control most of the time.

PM650

Jul 7, 2009
One thing I noticed on a set of promedias I have around here with the same problem is a bad contact. If you look into the 1/8" jack on the speaker (with a flashlight), you may see the metal that contacts the 'tip' of the plug has been deformed (presumably from using a line-level plug for speaker-level currents...). This caused one of the speakers in my set to crackle more than one without an affected jack.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
My promedia 2.1s experienced an amp failure after about a year. One day the right channel lost all but the highest frequencies as if it were being played through a high-pass filter. A few minutes later the room filled with the smell of electrical components frying. Turns out it killed the right channel speaker.

Shame because they were nice-sounding speakers.

PM650

Jul 7, 2009
My promedia 2.1s experienced an amp failure after about a year. One day the right channel lost all but the highest frequencies as if it were being played through a high-pass filter. A few minutes later the room filled with the smell of electrical components frying. Turns out it killed the right channel speaker.

Shame because they were nice-sounding speakers.
Sounds like it had a DC offset problem, even though the amp was still somewhat working. The low-pass filter on the woofer does not protect it from DC, whereas the high-pass on the tweeter will; add to this the fact that the only speaker 'protection' is a 2.5A fuse between speaker & amp and you may get some interesting results...

SpeakerEater

Nov 9, 2012
I found that if I cranked my iTunes volume and my speaker output volume, but kept the volume on the speakers low, that all of the popping and cracking disappeared.

AlexandtheEpicmike

Aug 15, 2016
hi guys. i've got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers setup and i'm having issues with the left speaker. these speakers are the ones where i have to plug in the wire/jack to the pack of them.

the problem with the left speaker is that if i don't have the jack plugged in just the right way, the sound comes out crackling... almost as if the connection wasn't good. does anyone know what could be causing this and how i could fix it?

thanks!
try this this work for me.