KLinux question

Freeze

Oct 15, 1999
Ok, I have a 486 lying around that I gutted earlier for parts. It is still fully functional (well I think so, hasn't been used in a while). The hard drive died, so I was going to use KLinux to run off the floppy. I need to find a new floppy (I am using it in another system). I should be all set otherwise. Basically my question(s) concern networking the 2 computers (My main and the 486) and set up of the d.net client. I have a cable modem, so the client would be connected 24/7.

I have a 3COM 3C509B 10Bt network card for it. From what I can tell, this card is supported by 2.4(D). Theoretically, all I have to do is get a floppy drive, put the disk in the drive and give it an IP, right? What settings do I use so that I can access mika's pproxy? I really don't want to set up my own....

I know I am going to need another network card for my main PC... I have one of those too. I need to get a cheap hub too.

Thanks for any help. I hope this is coherent. :)

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Your 3Com 3c509B will work just fine, I have one I've tested with.
And yes, you want Klinux-2.4

To setup the Klinux disk, you need to use the "rawrite" utility that is included with the Klinux download.
All the instructions are in the "Wordpad.txt" file.
(so named because it looks like crap in "notepad", I wrote it in Linux, so it's formatted for word processing.)

The only way you can connect Klinux straight to the internet, would be through a DNS router.
It'll get a little complicated, but can be done.
After booting up Klinux, you'll see on screen text, telling you what you need to do next.

The easiest way, is to run a pproxy (personal proxy) on your main machine.
It's really not that hard, it just looks intimidating.
A pproxy is just a little "dos" type program, what you see on Mika's is PPSTATS, A stats generator program.
Any pproxy on any OS, will server client's from another OS, no problem.

You can then have your pproxy flush to Mika's, if you so wish.

We'll be glad to help you set them up, there's plenty of help here.
Ask any questions you might have.

Freeze

Oct 15, 1999
Ok, thanks for the info. I dl'd the klinux client 2.4. I am working on rounding up the hardware to get this going (not sure how long it will take). I need to get a floppy drive and a 10bt hub or a short 5'-10' crossover cable (only going to have these 2 machines...for now). I would also need to get software to set up the pproxy. I think I would like to have it flush to mika's directly, or is it possible to have it 'flush' to my pproxy and then have my pproxy flush to mika's? Does that make sense?

Also, just to make sure, the 8MB of RAM for 486 is minimum right? The machine currently has a stick of 32MB FP EDO.

What would the recommend RC5 client config be for this type of situation? Anything else I might need to get/pickup?

Thanks again.

Kilowatt

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well Freeze, 8MB was the minimum I tested with.
I didn't run it very long with that, so I don't really know how it works for the long term.

Klinux runs in a ramdisk, If you have 32MB, that's all the better.

A 486 won't be very fast, so you could get by with a half dozen blocks per update (fetch/flush cycle).
I'd have the 486 set to do 1*2^28 keys, and then only hold 2 - 4 of them.

Have the 486 flush/fetch to your main box running your own pproxy, then setting your pproxy to update to Mika's won't be a problem.

The cheapest way to go for two boxes only, would be two nics in the main box, one connected to cable modem, and the other to your 486 with a different IP range, and a crossover cable.