[KitGuru] Pascal's code names revealed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Depends, Pascal focuses on half precision that seems to be a new market. And I assume KNL is the reason. It seems more to me that nVidia is focusing on gaming again.

Maxwell is a temporary compromise by forsaking fp64 to stay within the limits of TSMC 28nm manufacturing (around 600 sq mm) and extracting the max gaming performance out of 28nm. Pascal with HBM2 will be an enormous leap and it will put fp64 back with even more emphasis. Nvidia's Tesla revenue is a significant portion with a higher gross margin than their corporate avg. Nvidia and IBM have landed supercomputer deals with the US Department of Energy based on Power 9, Volta and NVLink.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers

Volta is basically a successor to Pascal with the key tech being the NVLink High bandwidth low latency bus for CPU-GPU communication. I see your view of the world is all Intel centric and that Intel will dominate everything from servers,desktops,notebooks,tablets,smartphones, embedded,IoT and what not. Sorry but there are quite a few companies who are going to give Intel a run for its money. OpenPOWER and ARM are just getting started and AMD will provide a competitive alternative in the x86 server market from late 2016. :whiste: