Kitchen sink drain woes

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
So my kitchen sink has been clogging all the time. For seven weeks straight, I had to call my apartment's maintenance. They would come over, throw some high powered drain cleaner down and leave. On the 8th week, I got a bit angry and demanded they send a real plumber. They sent the same maintenance guy, but he replaced the drain lines.

Things were great for three weeks and now my drain is clogged again. I decided to try a plunger tonight and two connections under my sink ripped apart. :( I called emergency maintenance and nobody answered. I left a message an hour ago. :(

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnCU
must've been loose to start with

The part that ripped out were compression fittings on a T-conennctor. My monkey wrench is too small to fit around it. Sigh.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Not a problem, it is just the slip connection that was lose. Hook the p-trap backup to the outlet pipe & trap arm and everything is good to go (may need a new teflon slip seal).

Check clean the p-trap before putting it back in place and test by fill sink/s with water up to the flood level rim then pull both plugs at once to test the drain. Check for leaks.

PS. Fittings only need to be hand tighten then a 1/4 turn with wrench/rope/towel.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
What do you put down the sink? I've never had a kitchen sink clog except when the garbage disposal died.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Stop pouring grease down the drain? Seriously, if it keeps clogging like that, and the pipes have been changed, it's probably your fault.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Stop pouring grease down the drain? Seriously, if it keeps clogging like that, and the pipes have been changed, it's probably your fault.

I'm not. A little bit of scraps go down my garbage disposal when I clean my plates, but other than that, nothing.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Leros

I'm not. A little bit of scraps go down my garbage disposal when I clean my plates, but other than that, nothing.
You may need to run a small snake into the trap arm to clear what ever in the path between the trap arm and the soil waste stack or brach.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pour coke down the drain, then throw in 10 pack of methos. Plug both drains FAST.

Pipe no longer clogged.

(I don't know if this would really work or how bad the end result would be. I may not be held responsible for damages to the house or city plumbing system) :p

Seriously, that would be fun to try.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa
Originally posted by: Leros

You may need to run a small snake into the trap arm to clear what ever in the path between the trap arm and the soil waste stack or brach.

Once I get my the pipes fixed, I'm gonna buy a small 15' snake and just unclog it myself.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Once I was on the bottom floor of a apartment, one day the matince guys decide to clean out a whole bunch of pipes a couple floors up.
End result is my bathtub and sink filled to brim with allllllllllll the black crap that previously lined the pipes.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..if your throwing rice down the drain it'll clog every time.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
Pour coke down the drain, then throw in 10 pack of methos. Plug both drains FAST.

Pipe no longer clogged.

(I don't know if this would really work or how bad the end result would be. I may not be held responsible for damages to the house or city plumbing system) :p

Seriously, that would be fun to try.
No, apparently when you pour the soda out of the bottle, most of the carbonation fizzes out, so plopping Mentos into it wouldn't do much of anything.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
It's not the carbonation that causes the "explosion", it's the acidity.