Kitchen help

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I ran out of cheesecloth to wrap the rib roast to dry out a little before Friday. Would parchment work or would the roast not get enough air?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I ran out of cheesecloth to wrap the rib roast to dry out a little before Friday. Would parchment work or would the roast not get enough air?
You need something a little absorbent and porous, preferably cloth, I would go with paper towels or napkins if you have them. An old pillowcase would work too.

Reactions: highland145

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just salt the crap out of it and leave it open in the fridge for 48-72 hours, then take it out morning of and place it on the counter, for hours, to get to RT and pat dry with paper towels before shoving it into the oven. ...I assume that is sufficient, drying, no?

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I just salt the crap out of it and leave it open in the fridge for 48-72 hours, then take it out morning of and place it on the counter, for hours, to get to RT and pat dry with paper towels before shoving it into the oven. ...I assume that is sufficient, drying, no?

This. Generously rub salt (I use kosher salt) on the entire rib roast, place on cookie sheet (the gridded cookie sheet) on baking sheet so the rib roast doesn't sit in its own juices.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This. Generously rub salt (I use kosher salt) on the entire rib roast, place on cookie sheet (the gridded cookie sheet) on baking sheet so the rib roast doesn't sit in its own juices.
Gridded sheet....you mean a cooling rack. I think that's what Alton Brown says. Plus, always put it on the lowest rack so in case anything does drip, it doesn't infect your fridge with meat juice on more than 1 shelf.