Kitchen Cabinets : any others like this or?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I am doing a full addition to our house. We were going to go with Ikea cabinets but the price seems higher then it use to be. I can get hardwood faced/plywood box cabinets for about the same price.
Here is the place I found?
http://washingtondccabinets.org/default.asp

My wife wants the darker Cherry Walnut (Cherry Antique) cabinets.

Their cabinets are like ikeas in that it comes in pieces and you just put them together.
Anybody order cabinets like this or know of other places like this?

Old thread resurrected by spammer.
Admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: sohcrates
i noticed you are in va

i used www.northernvirginiacabinets.com

cheaper than ikea or home depot. assemble yourself. pick up near ikea in woodbridge

worth looking into

Yea I am looking for that, but they don;t have any Dark cherry color with simple design. My wife does not want any "fancy" round or inlay designs.

This is what she likes from this place...
http://www.bodybuilder.cc/mast...rge/cherryantique1.jpg

But thanks for the link as that is what i am looking for, just different color/design. :(

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SphinxnihpS
I build my own.

Me to. I have a shaper, jointer, planer, etc...

But I also have to do the plumbing, wiring, hardwood, tile, new AC/Furance, etc...
Already installed the windows and doors.

Just no time to build and do everything else. :(

Found this place a coupel minutes ago...
http://www.kitchencabinetdepot.com/

Thanks mugs. Did not see any dark enough/design my wife would probable liek but will show. :thumbsup:

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
tons of them online, I think you are not using the right keyword. try 'RTA kitchen cabinets'

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Honestly I'm not seeing a ton of value in the RTA stuff over what a competitive cabinet supplier can do for you. I bought a garage full (literally) of glazed maple Aristokraft cabinets and all of the trim and veneered backings for around $3,000.

It was something like 20 base and wall cabinets of which I had 3 x 42" base and another 45" base cabinet. Plus a sink base. I had a good half dozen more cabinets than your typical 10x10 kitchen did.

Figure it takes you 30 minutes to put one together and that's another full days worth of work.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: SphinxnihpS
I build my own.

Me to. I have a shaper, jointer, planer, etc...

But I also have to do the plumbing, wiring, hardwood, tile, new AC/Furance, etc...
Already installed the windows and doors.

Just no time to build and do everything else. :(

Found this place a coupel minutes ago...
http://www.kitchencabinetdepot.com/

Thanks mugs. Did not see any dark enough/design my wife would probable liek but will show. :thumbsup:

Boxes... building them goes fast. It's the finishing that takes forever.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Originally posted by: vi edit
Honestly I'm not seeing a ton of value in the RTA stuff over what a competitive cabinet supplier can do for you. I bought a garage full (literally) of glazed maple Aristokraft cabinets and all of the trim and veneered backings for around $3,000.

It was something like 20 base and wall cabinets of which I had 3 x 42" base and another 45" base cabinet. Plus a sink base. I had a good half dozen more cabinets than your typical 10x10 kitchen did.

Figure it takes you 30 minutes to put one together and that's another full days worth of work.

Seems most of that brand is like ikea, partical board. You have to pay extra for plywood.

Originally posted by: richardycc
tons of them online, I think you are not using the right keyword. try 'RTA kitchen cabinets'

Thanks, that helped alot.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Also worth taking a look at - craigslist.
Back when we started our kitchen, I looked at a few sets being sold down in Virginia. I was on the fence for a couple of sales, but logistics were simply too difficult. I ended up getting my cabinets from 6 hours away. Completely filled the biggest trailer I could get from uhaul, plus completely filled the back of our grand caravan. $1000. The cabinets were about 3 years old. I purchased 2 other cabinets from the same line - they matched just fine - to complete our kitchen.

Seller of a house had updated the kitchen to have an easier time selling the house. The wife of the new buyer of the house "didn't like oak." So, we saved a fortune on our remodeling project.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

Yea my wife is the one that would make me take out good cabinets cause they are oak. My wife does not like oak. But our kitchen is so custom all the ones i see would not work from craigslist.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Not quite sure what you mean by your kitchen is custom, particularly since you mentioned getting cabinets from Ikea. But, it's worth keeping your eyes on craigslist for a little while, at least while you're shopping around for other cupboards. We actually had software running that alerted us to new cabinets being posted. this is what we got for $1000. Plus, there are two pantry cabinets & another short cabinet above the double-wide fridge, and some more along the right wall that aren't in that picture. I do recall seeing some pictures of outstanding quality cabinets from down south; I'm assuming that some of them came from "about to be foreclosed on, so screw the bank" types of sales.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

Custom as in she has EVERYTHING picked out where it will go to the inch. So buying caninets without much size option for her would not work to well.

I agree I have seen many good cabinets at craigslist, I have looked. But nothing that wourl work, let alone fit her needs. :)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

Yea I think I found them before. The look really good but out of my price range. Trying to stay as much under $2000 10x10 as I can.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
did you settle on anything?

We are going through the same thing, just spent too long at home depot looking at their American Woodmark line.

audreys

Banned
Aug 31, 2010
Those do look like great cabinets and it is great to know all about the kinds of things the cabinets should be made out of. So glad you found that place. I would enjoy those cabinets.

Spam link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.