Kingston RAM refuses to work, now what?

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Ok, after my last thread, I decided to figure out what the hell was going on with my new computer. Star Wars Galaxies was continually crashing, even at SPD settings in the BIOS on my mobo. I decided to run a memtest 86 on my ram. Up until test #6, everything was fine, but then I started getting over 30,000 errors apparently, and after a second test, the program just hung up and crashed.

Kingston promises this ram to run at 2-3-3-7 at 434mhz. Well needless to say, I never even got close to that.

And it was so strange cause last night it was running fine, albeit it was cooler in my room, but the RAM settings were 2-4-3-8. Well today it wound't even do SPD settings stable. Plus, I couldn't Overclock period on 1:1 Ratio, the system would just crash and not even Post and I had to shut down the power for 5mins to get it back on. I found out that these chipsets are not able to RAS Precharge any lower then 3 from the Corsairs help forums

Well mine wouldn't even do 3, so I had to keep mine at 4. Needless to say, I was really getting upset. I pondered the idea of flashing the BIOS, but I didn't see any changes in the mem settings from 1007 to 1009, so I left my BIOS version the same.

Fustrated, I decided to try my DDR Corsair XMS 3200 Stick of 512 Meg RAM from my Athlon machine just to make sure if it was my RAM. Well, after nearly an Hour of playing Star Wars galaxies in my hot summer room, it didn't crash or lock up once. I still have to try it on UT2k3 and BF1942

Im pretty much inclined towards that my Kingston HyperX RAM is bad, and im very fustrated and angered by this fact. And sure enough, This ram is not supported by ASUS on their website. Whata joke. Unless any of you have anymore suggestions on what to do, this RAM is no good.

What even sucks more, is Googlegear doesnt' warrant exchanges in any scenario. I've sent a letter pleading for them to bend the rules just this once. What good is it to get another stick of HyperX and even if it does work, have crap Mem timings?

I've been through the CORSAIR Help forums and needless to say, Im scared to even try Corsair this time around. It looks like no one can get RAM to work on this P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.

So what does that leave me with gentlemen? What f'en memory does work on this board?

Corsair Help forums

VitoVonAntwon

May 25, 2003
Kingston has a lifetime warrenty, send it back to them.

VitoVonAntwon

Just bought a pair of 3500 hyperx from best buy 110$ with copoun and tax each.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
As you've already been advised, the board doesn't like the tightest timings, not even if the RAM's SPD is asking for them. Try 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.75 volts. I've doled out that advice to P4C800 owners often enough that I even constructed a detailed how-to on it, if you need one: link to the how-to

Incidentally, Corsair has begun programming their LL modules' SPDs for looser timings of 2-3-2-6, evidently because some/many i865/i875 boards freak out at 2-2-2-5 timings.

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
No good mech, I have to run EVERYTHING default for the system to run stable...F'en Kingston...

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
I decided to run a memtest 86 on my ram. Up until test #6, everything was fine, but then I started getting over 30,000 errors apparently, and after a second test, the program just hung up and crashed.

RMA.

Memtest is great isn't it?

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
The RAM now apparently runs, but at only at TOTALL default settings in the BIOS. If I so much as up the voltage it crashes the computer or the games I run. I just don't get it..

I shoulda just taken the chance and got Corsair RAM, now I couldn't even exchange it even if Googlegear would let me due to the fact they don't CARRY sets of TwinX 3500....

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
Do you have 2 sticks of this? You can always RMA to kingston and tell them that you want DCDDR compatible RAM that was tested in the same model mobo as yours.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Icewind
The RAM now apparently runs, but at only at TOTALL default settings in the BIOS. If I so much as up the voltage it crashes the computer or the games I run. I just don't get it..

I shoulda just taken the chance and got Corsair RAM, now I couldn't even exchange it even if Googlegear would let me due to the fact they don't CARRY sets of TwinX 3500....

If memtest86 shows any errors, return the memory..

Hyper X is good ram.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
memtest86 showed over 30,000 errors

Unless I had no idea what I was looking at.

It's possible, RMA it... Bet you lie your replacement.

Kingston is good stuff, don't bail on it.

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Any chance you can get the TwinX 3700 kit though? only 20 bucks more than the Kingston 1GB 3500 kit...

85020-22
Kingston HyperX KHX3500K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR434 PC3500 Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
Lifetime Warranty
$300.00

85015-14
Corsair TWINX1024-3700 1GB DDR466 XMS3700 Dual-Channel Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail ***(Free 2nd Day)***
Lifetime Warranty
$320.00

If that is possible, I would totally spring for the 20 bucks more if it were my choice....

Edit - Posted from Googlegear website, 07-22-2003 10:23pm central....

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
They wont allow an exchange. I'll have to return it and eat the restocking fee. Last time I never order from GoogleGear.

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
They wont let you buy a better product instead? That really sucks from any company when they won't let you upgrade to the next product without penalizing you. I mean I can see if you were a repeat offender and kept doing this, but what gives?

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Because now I don't trust them.

Because you got a bad part?

I had to RMA my 8rda+ motherboard.. Should i not trust Epox now because of an isolated incident?

Right now i am running @ 2.4 ghz happily...

Just take the RMA, get your new ram and be excited!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Many people are having more problems with Corsair memory than with Kingston, so you are experiencing an isolated incident. RMA to Kingston, and I am sure they will make sure you get a good stick the second time around. Don't badmouth Kingston just because you have one bad piece of memory. Everybody deserves a second chance.

Over the years, I have also been unimpressed with Googlegear's return policy, but have always been pleasantly surprised when dealing with Newegg. I would recommend you deal with them in the future.

If you don't wanna RMA, try selling your memory on eBay. I have gotten memory that wasn't quite what I was expecting in the past, but got what I paid for it on eBay, and the buyer pays shipping too! And buyers were happy, because, at the time I was selling, very few people could actually get their systems fast enough to run memory at DDR433.