Kingston HyperX PC4000

lodog00

Aug 2, 2002
I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be, but the memory DOES do what it's supposed to, namely reach 500fsb easy.

Best I could run it was at cas 3-8-4-4, which is perhaps the slowest I have ever had my ram run! Granted, it IS running far above regular PC3200, and at regular vdimm to boot. Unfortunately, you cannot run above 255fsb at 1:1, which is a bit of a dissapointment. It does fine at 5:4 ratios, but I've found that the timings at the slower speeds are not up to par. I can't get it to run faster than cas 2.5-7-3-3 at fsb of 200-216....the PC will not POST at higher timings! What's funny about this is the fact that Kingston's own HyperX PC3200 is running at 2-7-3-3 on my brother's PC at stock, which I find strange. You'd think the PC4000 could AT LEAST run significantly faster at lower speeds!

Memory scores under Sandra with the 1:1 is pretty good though, with my maximum scores to date being being 5713 int/ 5714 float (255fsb). I've yet to try it at 5:4 until I'm sure my CPU won't explode (! --- CPU can run at 260 fsb stable on only 1.6v, but until I can resolve some temperature issues, I won't be going that high yet!)

I was wondering who else has tried this stuff, and what you think of it? Is there anything better (lower latencies) for high fsb O/C at 1:1 ratios? My CPU can go only up to 260 fsb at stock vcore, so would it be worth it getting some lower latency stuff running at 5:4 ratios instead and focusing on the CPU speed? Just for the sake of Sandra's Memory benches.... :) It's not as if my photoshop runs a whole load faster with a couple of extra Sandra points, lol.

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
haha nice triple post... anyways what do u mean by "regular" vdimm? 2.5? try bump it up to 2.8, the ram can take it fine and it might let u tighten the timings a bit. nice ram anyhow though~

lodog00

Aug 2, 2002
when I say regular vdimm, I mean 2.6v (which is what Kingston says to run it at minimum....it even says it on the box!). This is what my memory needs to run at 250+ fsb. I did bump it up to 2.8v, but I don't get much out of it, an extra 2 MHz or so.

Again...I'm ok with the performance at 250MHz and above fsb....just kinda surprised it won't do lower latencies at the slower speeds without bumping the voltage up, at least in comparison to its counterparts :) C'mon....the HyperX PC3200 is faster at that speed!

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Well it is rated at CAS3. I had mine at 2.5-3-3-7 at 1:1 250FSB no problem. Did you disable the last two settings under GAT? The memory scores that you gave are LOW for that memory. I had mine at over 6000 @250fsb 1:1 with my 2.4C w/ same MB. What BIOS are you using? My OCZ PC3700 Gold gives the same benchmarks @ 3-3-3-7.

lodog00

Aug 2, 2002
sorry about the triple post! I clicked submit but it wouldn't bring me back until I had clicked it two times more...lol.

as for GAT, I don't have that option yet. I'll update my bios in a bit. Hopefully it helps things.

lodog00

Aug 2, 2002
well, updated my bios, and Sandra memory scores improved by a few hundred points. Perhaps if I could get my timings lower, I would get a better score, but I'm not complaining. Just the fact that this RAM even does 255 fsb at 1:1 is fine by me, especially considering I got it with a bundle and saved $60 (ya'll know what I'm talkin about!)

Sandra Memory Benchmark:

6028 MB/s int
5950 MB/s float

Orion----what voltage did you put for vdimm? I still can't get anything more than 3-8-4-4 even w/ 2.8v....is this normal for this memory?

has anyone out there broken the 260Mhz barrier at 1:1?

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: lodog00
well, updated my bios, and Sandra memory scores improved by a few hundred points. Perhaps if I could get my timings lower, I would get a better score, but I'm not complaining. Just the fact that this RAM even does 255 fsb at 1:1 is fine by me, especially considering I got it with a bundle and saved $60 (ya'll know what I'm talkin about!)

Sandra Memory Benchmark:

6028 MB/s int
5950 MB/s float

Orion----what voltage did you put for vdimm? I still can't get anything more than 3-8-4-4 even w/ 2.8v....is this normal for this memory?

has anyone out there broken the 260Mhz barrier at 1:1?

2.8 is the highest I can go. (same board as you and the same deal ;) ) Your scores are right inline with mine so I don't think you would notice much of an improvement from changing the timings.

mngisdood

Sep 15, 2002
Just posted a review of the HyperX PC4000 here. This stuff was really picky, in terms of setup and configuration, but assuming it could be supplied with enough voltage and on the right mainboard (it hated our IS7), it overclocked very high (260 stable / 267 sorta stable).